PDA

View Full Version : Aux for headphone mix

mixer100
05-21-2011, 11:59 AM
I must be dumber than I thought! I need some help from you guys. I am trying to set up the auxes for headphone mixes. I have assigned the #1 aux master to device 2 (3&4 outs) on my 2408. What I can't seem to do is follow the manual correctly. I've been reading the manual for several hours now. Half dozen lines about how to get some verb into the headphone mix. I have set the coresponding output channel ( Output channel 2 ) assign out to 2. Am I wrong...I get no signal at the meter and of course no verb even with one assigned in the #2 output channel. Can someone bail me out again.
Ken

DavidandMary
05-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Have you assigned the lights on your Return channel to output two? Make sure you raise the send level on the original channel to the appropriate return channel. The light should come on for number 3 on return number one in your example. The Aux Master out can be assigned to the physical hardware out instead of the usual virtual out.

Also, the output channel should be physically routed to the appropriate channel as well. Go to the second output channel and make sure it is not pointed to out 1. The light should be for 3 in your example.

mr_es335
05-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Hello,

Have a look at the following:

Wave Device Out 01 = Main Outs
Wave Device Out 02 = Headphone Outs

Launch SS
Start with a new session
Go to R-01 (Returns)
Click Asn
Set Out Asgn to 2
Click Fdr
Go to O-02 (Outputs)
Click Asn
Set Out Asgn to 2
Click Fdr
Note: Lower the O-01 fader to -inf
Go to I-01
Add SoundFile to MT
Start Playback
On I-01 click Aux
Enable Aux Asgn 1 IN
Raise the Aux Asgn 1 Fader
* You should now hear output going to the headphone amp on Wave Device Out 02.

Note: There is no output to the main outs as the O-01 fader is lowered. What you did on Aux Asgn 1 can be applied to any track or Aux.

Does this work for you?

mixer100
05-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Well...sort of. I can get R1 to control the HP level, with Aux 1 level up in the W mixer, but I still don't have any level going to O2 in order to patch in some verb. The only way I can get what I need is to assign 2 in the W mixer as well, is that the right way to do it?
Thanks for your patience, guys.
BTW, I'm using virtual verb and not a hardware unit.

mixer100
05-24-2011, 02:16 AM
That can't be the right way. Because if I change the channel fader for that channel, then it affects the verb mix in the HP's. It's early and I'm a bit frustrated!

Grekim
05-24-2011, 03:27 AM
Are you trying to add the same amount of reverb to everything in the headphone mix or did you need separate control?

In either case, let's say you are using Aux 1 to create the DRY headphone mix and your heaphones are hooked up to output 2. So you make sure that Return 1 is patched to output 2.

If you want the same amount of reverb then just patch a reverb into your Return 1 and vary the wet/dry mix in the reverb plug-in itself.

For varying amounts of reverb on each track, I think you will need to use another Aux. So use Aux 2 for your reverb track. Patch the reverb into Return 2. Set the output of Return 2 to the same output as your dry mix which was Output 2.

Assign output 2 to Device 2 (to itself) in any case.

Bob L
05-24-2011, 06:50 AM
From the HelpFile:

Using an Aux Send as a headphone monitor feed

The Aux Masters for each Aux mix are normally defaulted to a virtual output routing assignment. This then feeds the signal down to the Return section underneath it for use as a virtual FX channel.

To use the mix as a feed to an external headphone amplifier, set the Aux Master Out Assign to a Device Out. Connect the physical audio device outputs to a headphone amplifier.

You can also route a reverb return into the headphone mix by setting up the corresponding output channel on the virtual console to assign to itself as a hardware device output. For instance, if the Aux Master out is set to device 3, assign Output Channel 3 to itself, 3. This will turn the fader knob dark red and set the output as a hardware device out, feeding its signal to the same headphone device. Now all that is needed is to also assign any reverb return channel to this same output and the output channel fader will act as a separate reverb return level for the headphone mix.

An added bonus when using one of the solo bus modes is that [Left-Clicking] the output channel solo will solo both the reverb signal and the Aux mix assigned to the same device, allowing you to instantly hear the exact mix being sent to the headphones. You can also select the Solo Aux Mix Out-Device option from the popup Aux Special Options menu and you will hear the same headphone mix, without the need to jump to the specific output channel to click the solo switch.

Bob L

mixer100
05-24-2011, 08:41 AM
Thanks guys. I was setting it up as a hardware setup and expecting the virtual results. I think I have it now.
Ken

Grekim
05-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks guys. I was setting it up as a hardware setup and expecting the virtual results. I think I have it now.
Ken

Yeah, make sure your return channel has "virtual" for both in and out sources.