PDA

View Full Version : How long to trust a sound card?

Ian Alexander
05-26-2011, 07:28 AM
It's time for a new audio computer here. After 4 years, I'm seeing issues with the DVD burner, the video card, etc.

I have a Lynx L-22 sound card, plus the ADAT daughter card installed. It has worked flawlessly and given me excellent sound. Should I install this card in the new computer or get a new one? The L-22 sells for $675. The ADAT daughter card is $225. Total = $900. It seems to me that the question is 900 bucks versus the hassle of being down for a few days if it fails.

If new, what other options in that price range will offer similar convertor quality (2 channel analog in/out), digital in/out, connection with ADAT (I use an ADA8000 for phone patch, headphone feed, talkback mic, etc.), and a flexible mixer applet that saves presets for different types of sessions.

Opinions, please.

905shmick
05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
DVD burners have moving parts, so just like hard drives, they're bound to give up the ghost some time.

Solid state devices like such as video and sound cards going dead are usually related to either bad components on the board or bad power from the PC.

If the Lynx card is running fine today, I wouldn't hesitate to use it in your new PC build.

Microstudio
05-26-2011, 10:38 AM
Use the card until it dies and just have money backed up so when it dies you just out and buy a new one. Thats how you get the most out of your stuff.

Or just go buy a new one because you want too.

DominicPerry
05-26-2011, 10:44 AM
I have an RME Digi 9636/52 which I would still be using if it wasn't for Win7 :mad:

Must be around 10 years old. Still fine. I wouldn't worry. A new card may fail - remember the bathtub failure curve ? As long as there are up-to-date drivers for the OS you are using, keep using it. Use static protection when you lift it from one machine to the other and make sure both machines are earthed.

Dominic

bcorkery
05-31-2011, 01:11 PM
My Lynx one card still works. I don't use it because I went with a multichannel card with a higher sample rate and bit depth. I wouldn't hesitate to trust your Lynx card.