PDA

View Full Version : MWS

Lance
02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Bob;

Been having a great time with MWS and how it integrates into the SS environment.

In order for me to not be redundant with feature requests, is there any way of finding out what the top 10 items are in your development queue for MWS?

For me, major items that would be invaluable at this point would be:

1) Some sort of windowing quantize, where note groups would be moved to the nearest grid point, but not all fully pulled in line. Where all the relative note relationships are kept, but perhaps scaled by a certain percentage.
2) Grid quantize exclusions, where only the notes nearest to the grid within a certain percentage are quantized and the rest left alone.
3) Ability to begin recording from "Live Mode" by hitting the MWS Record button and not have to use SRP with a blank track enabled. It would also be helpful to have a mode where when I exit record, it jumps back to "Live Mode". This would enable seamless monitoring and tweaking of sounds.
4) A MWS equivalent to the ReTake button from the MultiTrack. I find that if I don't like a particular take, even if it's just a couple of chords, I have to mark a beginning and an end, then hit delete, unmark, hit home, then record again.
5) A quick way to change the data for On Vel, Off Vel, Start Time and Duration. Why not implement a spin off of your pop-up slider for rapid modifications. Currently, if I want to lengthen the duration of a group of selected notes, I have to do it a '+' at a time, since the modify menu items don't work with selected notes, only with marked ranges.

I would be very interested in seeing what you have planned for MWS.

Thanks Bob.

Lance

SoundSuite
02-15-2005, 02:28 PM
4) A MWS equivalent to the ReTake button from the MultiTrack. I find that if I don't like a particular take, even if it's just a couple of chords, I have to mark a beginning and an end, then hit delete, unmark, hit home, then record again.
ditto

5) A quick way to change the data for On Vel, Off Vel, Start Time and Duration. Why not implement a spin off of your pop-up slider for rapid modifications. Currently, if I want to lengthen the duration of a group of selected notes, I have to do it a '+' at a time, since the modify menu items don't work with selected notes, only with marked ranges.
Lance, have you tried the Filters and Pencil Tool?

Lance
02-15-2005, 02:56 PM
Lance, have you tried the Filters and Pencil Tool?
Jon;

Yes, but it's not exactly a quick method of editing. The only parameter that relates is the velocity edit, but that is not quick either. I had to really try to line up the vertical line with the velocity indicator. If there were a way to operate on the note data itself with the pencil tool, that would be cool.

What I generally like to do is just highlight the note or select a group of notes and then change the different parameters in the left note display. Shift Drag or Ctl-Drag have been very useful for editing. But there's no facility for changing durations, other than the '+'/'-' and the modify when using a marked area. However, often, I don't want to change a complete marked area, but a few notes within an area.

Lance

Bob L
02-15-2005, 02:59 PM
In the MWS you can simply re-record over an existing area and overwrite mode is the normal default unless changed to mix mode by right-clicking the rec btn.

So... no need to mark and delete... simply place your cursor and start recording again.

Try using the Select Mode for easy duration adjustments of selected notes on a track... grab the boundary of one and the others will relatively adjust.

The +/- thing is for quick small adjustments, but the popup menu options for scaling velocities and durations are also available in the note display zones... these all work with Selected notes.

You can also do multiple note ons and offs that way and for velocities try the display filter mode set to note-on... here you will see the graphic lines for velocity and you can simply sweep the cursor through them and adjust as you go.

I'm looking into an automatic switch back to Live Mode upon hitting the stop btn... but there is more involved in that than meets the eye.

Lance
02-15-2005, 09:50 PM
I'm looking into an automatic switch back to Live Mode upon hitting the stop btn... but there is more involved in that than meets the eye.Bob;

Thanks for the tips. I'll explore them tomorrow.

I'm sure that it is quite involved. What about going into record using the MWS record button from Live Mode, just like using SRP? This would be a convenience too.

Thanks.

Lance

Lance
02-16-2005, 09:25 PM
In the MWS you can simply re-record over an existing area and overwrite mode is the normal default unless changed to mix mode by right-clicking the rec btn.

So... no need to mark and delete... simply place your cursor and start recording again.
This works absolutely great! Thank you.

Try using the Select Mode for easy duration adjustments of selected notes on a track... grab the boundary of one and the others will relatively adjust.

The +/- thing is for quick small adjustments, but the popup menu options for scaling velocities and durations are also available in the note display zones... these all work with Selected notes.
This too worked absolutely GREAT!

You can also do multiple note ons and offs that way and for velocities try the display filter mode set to note-on... here you will see the sgraphic lines for velocity and you can simply sweep the cursor through them and adjust as you go.
OK! All this will handle pretty much most of my detail editing as far as I can see right now. Very cool. Thanks.

I guess all that would make my life easier(for now;) ), is the loose quantize functions.

I'm looking into an automatic switch back to Live Mode upon hitting the stop btn... but there is more involved in that than meets the eye.
Sure enough...but I'm confident you'll find some solution. Especially since this is one of the keys to using SS as a Live Sound/Live Recording platform. I can wait on this as you figure it out.

Thank you for the help.

Lance

Ben Hall
02-17-2005, 08:35 PM
I guess all that would make my life easier(for now;) ), is the loose quantize functions.

Dito on this one. I would find it very handy to 'tighten up' things that have been played in live, but are a bit too loose - without making them straight quantise. Cubase 2.x used to do this, but I haven't used that in a looooooong time. :rolleyes:

Thanks as always Bob.

Ben.

Yura
02-21-2005, 07:33 AM
take a care

Hi Bob and all.

I work in MWS and yet don't understand how to make process of
monitoring-playback-recording more suitable. I mean here I must
everytime to switch between live mode and playback or record
mode.

SAW does not leave its engine running in the background like most other apps.

Leaving the engine live all the time is not my preference. I feel it kludges up the whole system, especially while editing, and it locks down the soundcard, making it not possible for other apps to access the card until your app is exited.

VSTi synths require the engine to be running to make sound... so you have to start and stop SAW's engine to hear these synths.

If I made the engine always enter Live Mode when you stop, then many editing operations and session saves and undos and so forth would not function until you stop Live mode.... I feel this is much more of a hindrance than having to start live mode when you want to audition a sound.

Could I change the main internal design to keep the engine running all the time and still allow the editing operations... of course, with a complete engine re-write and lots of bug chasing... would I want to... not really, I still feel the results would cause serious performance loss.

For me, major items that would be invaluable at this point would be:

...Ability to begin recording from "Live Mode" by hitting the MWS Record button and not have to use SRP with a blank track enabled. It would also be helpful to have a mode where when I exit record, it jumps back to "Live Mode". This would enable seamless monitoring and tweaking of sounds.

Originally Posted by Bob L
I'm looking into an automatic switch back to Live Mode upon hitting the stop btn...

Sure enough...but I'm confident you'll find some solution. Especially since this is one of the keys to using SS as a Live Sound/Live Recording platform. I can wait on this as you figure it out.

Thank you for the help.

Lance

Really could be nice!