PDA

View Full Version : What happens with less RAM?

gg47
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM
What will happen if Sawstudio is run on 256 MB of RAM? I'm still trying to figure out if this program is for me, and I'm running the demo with 256 and it's fine now that I have it configured. I'm just wondering what will happen running it at 256?

SoundSuite
02-15-2005, 02:25 PM
Basically, it's going to work, or not.

You won't be able to do too many tracks at once I'd imagine, but it may work fine until loaded down.

MMP
02-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Eventually you will run out of ram and push into the Windows swap file, at which point your normally instantaneous SS DAW will slo-o-o-o-o-o-w down until you can no longer bear it.

You may never hit this wall. But, if you load up on tons of plugins, or try to run a sampler, or try to cache waves or peak data, you may end up in this Jello world, where actions take seconds to stop quivering.http://www.sawstudiouser.net/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif

Regards,

MM

Bob L
02-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Ram will fill up as the sessions get denser. Plugins will also eat away at ram... when the ram runs out, Windows starts swapping buffers which will cause glitching and in many cases stop the playback.

256 is ok for simple use of Basic and Lite... but no good for full... full will allocate that much ram on bootup, leaving nothing for Windows and other apps to manipulate.

But, for testing with the demo... if its basically working for you... good enough to get a feel for how it all flows... but definitely I would recommend more ram if you decide to jump into the platform.

Bob L