PDA

View Full Version : Where are the prefs and fkey files kept?

Jazzstudio
06-19-2011, 04:40 AM
Hi all, re-installing PC.

Realize that I could simply copy the entire SS folder, BUT, would prefer re-installing. Not even sure if needed, but considering VSTs etc, I think I'll rather re-install.

I see a fkey file and a alt-fkey file in the main SS folder, but would like to confirm: which files are the prefs and f-keys for both SS and MWS, and may I backup them, to simply copy "over" the new install's files later?

Cheers

DominicPerry
06-19-2011, 05:08 AM
Be aware that SAW generates a bunch of files the very first time it is run. If you do a fresh install, do that (run it once and shut it down) before you move any files over. Doing so is entirely legitimate, although I'd stick with the same folder structure on the new machine - in other words, if SAW is in C:\SAWStudio on the old machine, make it the same on the new one. It probably doesn't matter, but it might!

In the main SAW folder
SAWStudio.fky
SAWStudioAlt.fky
SAWStudio.prf

I don't know whether you also need the file in the SAW/Configuration folder which is pertinent to your setup, for example I have a
SAWStudio_1920x1200.fky which I made myself. I assume that you do need it.

Can't help with MWS I'm afraid - I don't have it.

Dominic

Jazzstudio
06-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Cool, thanks so far Dominic, yes, I stick to the default folders.

THus I will copy the stuff and see what happens. Fortunately, unlike MOST other packages, SS takes about 33 milliseconds to setup (wink wink), so re-installing and removing it is so quick n easy, thus I'll try a couple things and see where I'm at.

Cheers

Bob L
06-19-2011, 06:09 AM
Studio_Midi_WorkShop.fky and Studio_Midi_WorkShop.prf are found in the Native_PlugIns folder under the main install folder.

If Re-installing on the same computer, you can safely re-use the prfs... if a new and different machine... it may be safer to create new prfs.

Bob L

Jazzstudio
06-19-2011, 06:58 AM
Hi Bob,

Thanks for those two!

Same machine, new Windows...installed 64bit instead of the 32 bit that used to be installed. All exact same hardware. Obviously 64bit drivers.

I hope it works smoothly as such.

Worst case: re-install SS, and upon initial run should replace prefs.

mr_es335
06-20-2011, 07:22 AM
Hello,

Have a look at the following attachment. There are 5 text files:

Configuration Folder Contents
Contents of MidiWorkShop_Configuration
Mix Folder Contents
Native_PlugIns Contents
SS Folder Contents

Each file lists the default contents of an SS installation, before and after either SS or MWS are run for the first, or subsequent, time. They list all of the files and folders that are either part of the default installation or that are created after a first run. I have found this to be of trememdous help to me in understanding how SS/MWS function, especially with regards to which files are updated for backup purposes.

As always, Bob has given a great deal of thought as to his file/folder structure.

Hope it helps?

Jazzstudio
06-20-2011, 08:45 AM
thanks mr es.

yeah, I simply moved the relevant files over to the new install from the old one (including the recent edl list etc), and, besides all running smoother with the 64bit-more-Ram-installed machine, it feels just as cosy and homey as the previous install.

Cheers