PDA

View Full Version : XPlite

canipus
06-13-2004, 10:12 AM
Any fellow techies here running SAW with XPlite Pro ontop of the standard XP?

problems /comments?

thanks
Canipus

AudioAstronomer
06-13-2004, 10:43 AM
Im running on my own "xplite" My entire windows install takes up about 32mb. With no more than 6 processes at anytime. Im up to 9 now since I enabled/reinstalled file-sharing to facilitate tcp/ip options in saw. This allows me to run the entire kernel in memory, with only 512mb of 3200 ram and still have 450mb mem spare. (well sorta)... (well in actuality, Im running a 512mb ram drive where I have set windows to use as a temp and pagefile directory. This has shown to indeed be much faster than disabling either functions... so it's 1gb total ram).

I also run liteshell and have totally removed explorer from my computer.

Everything runs perfectly, and I only have 2 small issues which I've found are directly related to my choice of drive configuration.

[edit] I would not suggest this as something to do for a new user or potential user. Ive always been double checking any problems (which I've actually had none, just user error) between a regular XP system. Everything is indeed stable, but in the case it is done incorrectly, Bob will have a hell of a time helping you out

mghtx
06-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Yeah, the way SAW is coded you don't need to do that much to Windows to get great performance out of it. Unlike most other apps. SAW goes over/under/around Windows to do it's thing. I love that about it.

soundtrack2life
06-16-2004, 06:45 AM
I ran the 98lite years ago when that was out and loved it! Is the XPlite worth the effort? With the speed of CPU's & larger RAM?
Joe

canipus
06-16-2004, 11:00 AM
The info I'm getting from other forums is that it does make a big difference tho' haven't tried it myself.

AudioAstronomer
06-16-2004, 11:13 AM
The info I'm getting from other forums is that it does make a big difference tho' haven't tried it myself.

Big difference, not. Little differences adding up, yes.

On one of my laptops, that is identical to my DAW in everything except RAID and it's not optimized. The laptop can run on 1x128 buffer most of the time, but frequent interupts. On the main daw, I can get that easily, 90% of the time with no problems at all. Also the laptop load saw studio, the hard drive becomes fragmented quicker, the OS starts slower and it actually does crash on occasion. the main daw is rock solid.

"BIG" difference no.. but the little differences that make recording a little more enjoyable.

soundtrack2life
06-16-2004, 06:08 PM
As soon as I get a free moment I will Image my system and give it a shot. I will keep you posted and let you know.
Joe

Oz Nimbus
06-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Does anyone have a link for the program?

-0z-

weld
06-18-2004, 06:21 PM
Does anyone have a link for the program?

-0z-

Here you are....

http://www.litepc.com/

Dingo
06-23-2004, 05:06 AM
Robert, Could you give me a list of things I can safely turn off? I will need stuff for internet (I have dsl), recording obviously, firewire, usb, but beyond that I'd be willing to dump a lot of stuff if I don't need it. Thanks.
Dave

soundtrack2life
06-23-2004, 05:39 AM
Check out this link. It may help you decide what services to disable.

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Dingo
06-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Thanks, It was very helpful. I turned a bunch of **** off.

AudioAstronomer
06-23-2004, 10:35 AM
tweakXP is an INVALUABLE tool to optimize your computer. There are other programs out there that bring most registry values into immediate view as well. But this one offers somethings that are quite hard to do, including setting up ram drives, removing almost any software, basic advanced registry tweaks etc....

But then again, you're running saw... if you got most services turned off, and no startup programs... you're damn near toasting anything you could dream of under the price of a new house :) And for that you could get a killer new computer/monitors etc... and do EVEN MORE.