PDA

View Full Version : F-Key Suggestion

Carl G.
06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Bob, what about making the "ALT-FKey" display also accessible through simply quickly "Double-Pressing" the "F-KEY"? !!

(to be held within the timing limits of a mouse double click... or perhaps with menu adjustable timing for the picky people)

Today while trying to maneuver my left hand through contortions for "Alt-F12", it dawned on me... this 'easier' way.
It would sure make navigation of "24" F-Keys a breeze!
(if it were possible)

RBIngraham
06-22-2011, 05:19 PM
Just a thought, but if I really needed that many F-Key layouts that I needed quick access to on a regular basis, I would probably go pick up some X-keys or some other programmable keyboard device of some sort so I could just have 24 buttons, one for each F Key.

Just a thought.

Carl G.
06-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Just a thought, but if I really needed that many F-Key layouts that I needed quick access to on a regular basis, I would probably go pick up some X-keys or some other programmable keyboard device of some sort so I could just have 24 buttons, one for each F Key.

Just a thought.

Would it be able to map an "Alt-Fkey" function to 'double clicks' of an F-Key (as my suggestion was)?
I was looking for simplicity - not more keys to punch (or remember)

Angie
06-22-2011, 06:04 PM
I've changed some of the defaults avoiding the Alt command.

RBIngraham
06-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Would it be able to map an "Alt-Fkey" function to 'double clicks' of an F-Key (as my suggestion was)?
I was looking for simplicity - not more keys to punch (or remember)

I don't think so. So it's probably not for you. I just sugrssted it becase if it were me I would prefer a nice sidecar like button pad where I could have instant acess to all 24f keys. And you could even label them. But it wouldn't modify the behavior of your regular keyboard.

Bob L
06-22-2011, 07:28 PM
Dave, I'll explore what that feels like... and see if it is doable.

Bob L

Ian Alexander
06-23-2011, 02:35 AM
Dave, I'll explore what that feels like... and see if it is doable.

Bob L
Dave is the bug guy. Carl is the feature guy.:D

Personally, I can't remember, nor do I use, all 12 regular F keys, let alone 24.:o

Dave Labrecque
06-23-2011, 03:23 AM
Dave is the bug guy. Carl is the feature guy.:D

One day Carl and I will meet over a beer to discuss features that bug us. :p

Grekim
06-23-2011, 03:29 AM
Carl and others, I'd be curious to know how you are using your F-Key views.

I have mine set so that F1-F4 are views of the MT at increasing track heights with F1 showing as many tracks as possible and F4 showing 1 track plus some FX info. F5 is zoom mixer EQ's, F6 zoom mixer compressors, F7 zoom mixer Aux's, and F8 zoom mixer out assignments. F9-F11 are zoom faders and pans with one or two MT tracks above. F12 is full mixer with FX choices and pre/post patches. Haven't gotten into the Alt F keys yet.

janneman
06-23-2011, 04:06 AM

I have mine set so that F1-F4 are views of the MT at increasing track heights with F1 showing as many tracks as possible and F4 showing 1 track plus some FX info. F5 is zoom mixer EQ's, F6 zoom mixer compressors, F7 zoom mixer Aux's, and F8 zoom mixer out assignments. F9-F11 are zoom faders and pans with one or two MT tracks above. F12 is full mixer with FX choices and pre/post patches. Haven't gotten into the Alt F keys yet.

my F-keys are set as follows
I use an Behringer DDX3216 as 16 fader controller
and use dual monitor, left monitor is mostly F-mixer with 1 Z-mixer at left side of Fmixer (hotchannel) and the right monitor is always Wide-mixer
and use a Mac keyboard wich seperate F1-F4, F5-F8, F9-F12 with a little space and has extra USB outled for my Mouse.
I do mostly shows with a max of 32 inputs on stage and 4 monitors

F1- Fmixer input 1 till16
F2- Fmixer input 17 till 32
F3- Fmixer Fx returns
F4- Fmixer Subgroups & main outputs (16 direkt under fader)
F5- Fmixer Vox 1 (stage right) is hotchannel
F6- Fmixer Vox 2 (lead) is hotchannel
F7- Fmixer Vox 3 (stage left) is hotchannel
F8- Fmixer Vox 4 (drums) is hotchannel
F9- Fmixer Monitor 1, input 1 till 16
F10- Fmixer Monitor 2, input 1 till 16
F11- Fmixer Monitor 3, input 1 till 16
F12- Fmixer Monitor 4, input 1 till 16
alt-F1 - Fmixer input 33 till 48 (cd inputs,talkback,public mics etc.)
alt-F2 - Fmixer - spare
alt-F3 - Fmixer - spare
alt-F4 - Fmixer Monitor 24, Fx channels
alt-F5 -Fmixer Monitor 5, input 1 till 16 (mostly use max 4 monitors)
alt-F6 -FmixerMonitor 5, input 17 till 32 (mostly use max 4 monitors)
alt-F7 -Fmixer Monitor 6, input 1 till 16 (mostly use max 4 monitors)
alt-F8 -Fmixer Monitor 6, input 17 till 32 (mostly use max 4 monitors)
alt-F9 -Fmixer Monitor 1, input 17 till 32
alt-F10 -Fmixer Monitor 2, input 17 till 32
alt-F11 -Fmixer Monitor 3, input 17 till 32
alt-F12 -Fmixer Monitor 4, input 17 till 32

greetings
janneman

UpTilDawn
06-23-2011, 06:16 AM
That's a SAC setup, Janneman. Great for live sound, not so much for editing tracks. :rolleyes: :D

I have my first half of the default F-keys file set up opposite of Grekim for varying track counts after realizing it was easier for my tiny brain to memorize F-1 = 1 track, F-2 = 4-tracks, F-3 = 6 tracks, etc. :) The remaining six are set up for things I generally need based on importance, or frequency of use... with a big ol' F-mixer on F-12.

I use some of the Alt F-keys for views that are similar, but different than the top F-keys for part of the 12 and views that display the MW for a few... like alt F-1 = a single, large SF view for the occasional deep editing need, reflecting the single, large MT view in F-1.

It's not ideal even now and whenever I find a new variation, I quick save it and re-save the default. I've also got a few alternate F-key files stashed away for different recording/mixing needs... Say, one for live recording, one for mixing/editing, etc.

I still wish Bob would design a way to let us label each F-key up on the main background bar off to the right of the menus, maybe. It's so easy to foget what's where! :confused:

Bob L
06-23-2011, 07:26 AM
I mean... Carl. :)

Bob L

Richard Rupert
06-23-2011, 07:32 AM
<SNIP>
I still wish Bob would design a way to let us label each F-key up on the main background bar off to the right of the menus, maybe. It's so easy to forget what's where! :confused:
I know!!! (In my best Craig Ferguson imitation). :)

RBIngraham
06-23-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah same kind of thing here. I couldn't remember what all my F Keys did if I had 24 separate ones. :) I only use 1 through 12.

For me I kind of set them up for a particular task.

F1 is my basic look with MT, single E Mixer 8 channels of F Mixer and with Regions and control track.

F2 is the same thing except Pre and Post EFX and the EFX list rather than regions and control.

F3 is full screen MT with just enough room for an E Mixer strip.

F4 is almost full screen F Mixer just for mixing (full screen width wise)

F5 is my Show Control where I arrange it for ease of putting together Show Control lists, also with Control Track and fairly small MT

F6 Soundfile view with Regions and Library windows.

F7 Precise editing, Large 2 track of MT with regions and library windows

And that's really about it.

One thing I really wished for was that the MT window wouldn't keep changing it's size as you zoom in and out. I would much prefer that the window stay the same size and it would just show more or fewer tracks depending on which way you zoomed. It's annoying at least to me to have to set up separate F Key views just so I can zoom in and out of the MT window and not have it start to cover up other things when zooming in, etc...

UpTilDawn
06-23-2011, 10:00 AM
...One thing I really wished for was that the MT window wouldn't keep changing it's size as you zoom in and out. I would much prefer that the window stay the same size and it would just show more or fewer tracks depending on which way you zoomed. It's annoying at least to me to have to set up separate F Key views just so I can zoom in and out of the MT window and not have it start to cover up other things when zooming in, etc...

You mean when using the Page Up/Page Down buttons for vertical zooming?

RBIngraham
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
You mean when using the Page Up/Page Down buttons for vertical zooming?

Yes

MikeDee
06-23-2011, 11:44 AM
I mean... Carl. :)

Bob L
Is double doable? [Hey, would be gr8 for all those SAC monitor views, etc.!]

Will Carl's feature request = Dave's bug report?

Stay tuned for "As the Stomach Turns", or "As the DVD Burns", or....... [I would've said "on the SAWStudio Radio Network", but...oh, well...I'd rather have SS v5x, anyway.]

:p

Carl G.
06-23-2011, 02:17 PM
One day Carl and I will meet over a beer to discuss features that bug us. :p

:)
I don't drink beer - but don't let that bug you.

UpTilDawn
06-23-2011, 02:21 PM
...One thing I really wished for was that the MT window wouldn't keep changing it's size as you zoom in and out. I would much prefer that the window stay the same size and it would just show more or fewer tracks depending on which way you zoomed. It's annoying at least to me to have to set up separate F Key views just so I can zoom in and out of the MT window and not have it start to cover up other things when zooming in, etc...

That could be handy..... you'd have two types of vertical zoom then. One that zooms the waveform, the other that zooms the number of tracks (based on the hot track, I presume)... and all without using a different F-key view.

I'd still use a handful of F-keys as I do now, just to show a certain number of tracks.... but I could see that being pretty convenient.

Carl G.
06-23-2011, 03:39 PM

I've set up a PDF (with screen shots) for download of all my Fkey & Alt Fkeys. (nice pics you can zoom in on)
The Direct Link to the PDF below - you must RIGHT click and "Save As" to download (left clicking on the link will not work because the directory is private)
Here (ftp://ftp.creativetrax.com/SS/SS-FKey_Assignments.pdf)

Notes:
F-Key's 3 & 4 are the only ones that have clever overlays - done so that I can view Emixer's Large Fader, while SIMULTANEOUSLY adjusting the same channel's Zmixer EQ!!! (on F4)
and the similar type setup for Emixer's Large Fader while simultaneously adjusting the same channel's Zmixer's AuxSend (on F3).
Alt Fkeys 7-11 have the Full mixer on a second monitor.
Alt-F5 is shortened 1/3 screen size for tracking while reading copy from the other 2/3's of the screen.
(see the PDF... and let me know what you think)
Because I match most my basic style F-Keys with the Alt's, you'll see why it would be very convenient to have a "Double Punch F-Key" for the ALt-Fkey function.

Grekim
06-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Nice Carl. Looks very well thought out. Thanks for posting.
At the moment, mine in comparison are much sparser with typically only one type of mixer view at a time. I also like to leave space between windows because it's just visually more appealing to me. Thanks for the ideas.

Carl G.
06-24-2011, 05:46 AM
Nice Carl. Looks very well thought out. Thanks for posting.
At the moment, mine in comparison are much sparser with typically only one type of mixer view at a time. I also like to leave space between windows because it's just visually more appealing to me. Thanks for the ideas.

I forgot to mention, I my main monitor is a 26" screen, run at 1920x1200.
The the second monitor is 1680x1050 (but the PDF doesn't include the full mixer on that)

Grekim
06-24-2011, 07:09 AM
I forgot to mention, I my main monitor is a 26" screen, run at 1920x1200.
The the second monitor is 1680x1050 (but the PDF doesn't include the full mixer on that)

Nice. Yeah, just running on something like a modest single 21" here.

Bud Johnson
06-24-2011, 09:15 AM
Mine is only 19" . I feel so inadequate!

Dave Labrecque
06-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Mine is only 19" . I feel so inadequate!

Life in the 21st century. Whoda thunk it? Must be all that radiation. :p

Fulvio fullcode Politi
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Hi guys!

This little one does just what Carl suggested.
On start up you will be prompted to choose how
fast it reacts! ...don't know if I found it really
useful, tend to slow a bit down the spectacular response
of the FKeys as they normally are... but you can
use one finger :)

http://web.tiscali.it/fullcode/F-KeysDSense.htm

Fu

Carl G.
06-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi guys!

This little one does just what Carl suggested.
On start up you will be prompted to choose how
fast it reacts! ...don't know if I found it really
useful, tend to slow a bit down the spectacular response
of the FKeys as they normally are... but you can
use one finger :)

http://web.tiscali.it/fullcode/F-KeysDSense.htm

Fu

FANTASTIC! THANKS!
(You're right, it does slow things up a tad... but the convenience if VERY nice!)