PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable CD Errors Plextools?

Carl G.
02-19-2005, 06:12 PM
One ripped cut may show 137 errors and another may show 31,000 errors.
What's OK for just mp3 rips (from wav to MP3) for just personal use in a VCD or CD?

(Steve?)

TotalSonic
02-19-2005, 08:06 PM
One ripped cut may show 137 errors and another may show 31,000 errors.
What's OK for just mp3 rips (from wav to MP3) for just personal use in a VCD or CD?

(Steve?)

Carl -
Providing a disc with minimal errors is only critical when providing a master for replicaton or duplication. If you are providing a disc to a replicator it MUST not contain a single CU (aka E32 / uncorrectable error) - and to me it should also not contain even a single C2.

C1's are always present on discs - and anything under 220 per second is considered within acceptable limits of the Red Book spec. However - for the masters I create I always make sure that C1 errors average at the very most at 5 per second.

Finding a good combination of media and burn speed with the drive you use will enable to get the vast majority of discs you burn to this good of a spec. With the Plextor Premium writer I've found in all my tests best results with Taiyo Yuden or Mitsui media burned at 32x - the idea that slower or real time burns produces better results is a complete and total myth now that the latest generation of burners have been optimized for their middle burn speeds.

Now for the question regarding whether discs with lots of errors are ok to make mp3's from - the artifacts created by the lossy mp3 codec to me create a degradation to the sound that far outweighs any concern that you might possibly have with the far far subtler degradations from a CD with lots of errors. CU's however will usually cause clicks, ticks, pops, dropouts or interpolation when you rip them so I would venture to say that if you have a disc with a CU it could possibly cause one of these problems in the resulting mp3 file.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Carl G.
02-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Carl -
Now for the question regarding whether discs with lots of errors are ok to make mp3's from - the artifacts created by the lossy mp3 codec to me create a degradation to the sound that far outweighs any concern that you might possibly have with the far far subtler degradations from a CD with lots of errors.
Steve Berson

Thanks Steve.
I assume you mean then that normal errors are ok... but CU errors are a different beast.
Question... how do I determine which kind of errors they are in Plextools?
In the Digital Audio Extraction dialog box it just lists 'numbers of errors'... I don't see where it says 'x number/second' or 'CU'.