PDA

View Full Version : Trouble installing Waves plug ins

Studmuffin
09-01-2011, 06:51 AM
Can anyone help please?

Trying to run tmy new Waves SSL vst pack on my SS but keep getting an error message saying that the file Waveslib.dll is missing from my computer. No problem, I thought. Found that file and copied it to my VST plug ins folder under the SS installation folder. Still no joy.

The i-lok has seen it fine and registered the software ok. Don't have any other Waves plugs on there.

Anyone help?

Bob L
09-01-2011, 08:00 AM
The newer Waves plugins use a shell to contain all the individual plugin dlls... you must extract these individual plugs from the shell using the free utility Shell2Vst that can be found in the misc downloads section at www.SAWStudio.com (http://www.SAWStudio.com)

This will create a set of wrapped dlls extracted from the main shell library file... these can then be placed in the VST_Plugins folder or linked using the .ini vst file link method... details in my helpfile.

Bob L

Studmuffin
09-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks Bob

Maybe I'm being dim but I can't see the Shell2Vst download in the misc downloads section. I can see the SAWPro VST Linker (http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads/FX_VSTLinker.zip) but I don't think you mean that one do you?

And is the helpfile you referred to part of that Shell2vst program?

bcorkery
09-01-2011, 08:52 AM
There's an app that will rewrite the dll to make it usable in SAW and other programs. I had the same problem. I'm not in the studio right now but if it doesn't get resolved before I get there, I'll send it to you or point you to the download.

It's pretty interesting, you drag the dll into a dos window and it's done!

Bob L
09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
You're not being dim... the file is not on the website... I'm not sure why... perhaps there was a concern about copyrights... anyway... do a Google search on the web and you will find it... Shell2VST.exe

Bob L

bcorkery
09-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Can anyone help please?Sent you a PM with a link to my FTP site.

gregangst
09-02-2011, 04:46 PM
I have had the same issues loading the Lexicon Reverb Plug-ins as well as the Waves Platinum Bundle. Spent about two weeks getting the ILOK to work. However no plug-ins would work. I sent Bob and email and he suggested that I download the Shell2VST.exe file. I did, but could not get it to work until about an hour ago. You must follow the dos command correctly. I was able to finally get it to work by the following

shell2vst "c:\program files\waves\waveshells\waveshell-vst 8.0.dll"

Put the shell2vst.exe file in the waveshells folder.

I am using the waves V8 Platinum Bundle.

The waves VST's now work for both SAC and SAWSTUDIO 5.0.

Now to tackle the Lexicon issue.

greg

bcorkery
09-02-2011, 11:21 PM
Weird how that works, huh?

Studmuffin
09-05-2011, 07:17 AM
Sent you a PM with a link to my FTP site.
Thanks Bill

Studmuffin
09-05-2011, 07:19 AM
I have had the same issues loading the Lexicon Reverb Plug-ins as well as the Waves Platinum Bundle. Spent about two weeks getting the ILOK to work. However no plug-ins would work. I sent Bob and email and he suggested that I download the Shell2VST.exe file. I did, but could not get it to work until about an hour ago. You must follow the dos command correctly. I was able to finally get it to work by the following

shell2vst "c:\program files\waves\waveshells\waveshell-vst 8.0.dll"

Put the shell2vst.exe file in the waveshells folder.

I am using the waves V8 Platinum Bundle.

The waves VST's now work for both SAC and SAWSTUDIO 5.0.

Now to tackle the Lexicon issue.

greg

Thanks Greg

I'm about to try exactly that. Will report back!

Studmuffin
09-05-2011, 07:47 AM
Argh! Still frustrated by this. I think somewhere I missed a meeting because I just know I'm missing a step.

So I've downloaded shell2vst.

After un-installing, I've done a fresh install of Waves 8.0

I've asked waves to put the waveshell in C:\sawstudio\vst plug-ins. Voila it's there.

Then I've copied across the shell2vst utility to the same folder and given it a double click. Then I've dragged the waveshell 8.0 onto the black shell2vst screen. It responds by displaying the address of the waveshell and ...er ...well.... that's it.

I think I should be doing something else - right? Oh - I'm running Win 7 32 bit

The galling thing is that a friend of mine in Sweden has a pirate version of the Waves SSL software and apparantly it installled first time and worked perfectly with SS too.

Rabbit
09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
The way it worked for me is to open the folder where shell2vst.exe lives then drag the waveshell-vst 8.0.dll onto the shellvst.exe, this pops a window which shows the file extraction going on. Then you have to find where the .dll's were placed, something like C:\Program Files\Solid State Logic\FXPansion\Vst To Rtas Adapter V2.1\Vstplugins\Waves. Either copy those to the SAWStudio VST folder or do the .ini thing to link back to the folder.

Hope this helps.

mixer100
09-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I installed the VST2shell in the SAW folder, Installed my waves plugs to the same SAW folder, then did what Rabbit did. Then moved the new folder into the vst plugin folder and deleted the stuff I had done in the main SAW folder

Rabbit
09-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Then I've copied across the shell2vst utility to the same folder and given it a double click. Then I've dragged the waveshell 8.0 onto the black shell2vst screen. It responds by displaying the address of the waveshell and ...er ...well.... that's it.

To clarify, don't double click the shellvst to open the window. Just drag and drop the waveshell on top of the shellvst.exe. That should do it.

Studmuffin
09-05-2011, 11:50 PM
Part way there. Thanks for your help everyone. I saw the Shaell2vst pop-up window display and it created some files. Great. Progress. Now all I have to do is find the new dlls. Why is that not easy?! Looking everywhere but no luck so far. Tried again so I could grab a screenshot but the second time it overwrites the files and doesn't diaplay the location. Tried Win7 search but no luck.

Do you ever wish you'd gone down the mac route all those years ago......

Rabbit
09-06-2011, 01:14 AM
No :D

Do a search on your C: drive, all files and folders, for "Waves". You should see a folder by that name which will contain the .dlls.

Studmuffin
09-06-2011, 02:17 AM
Found them. Copied the dlls to Sawstudio/vst plug ins folder.

Great. SS sees them - Yaaaaay!

Now to patch one in.

Oh bugger!

Saw diaplays message "Trouble connecting plug in":mad:

Studmuffin
09-06-2011, 04:37 AM
They turn up in SoundForge - in both the Waveshell and as separate VSTs..... hmmmm

mixer100
09-06-2011, 06:03 AM
Maybe you copied the wrong set of dll's into SAW vst plugin folder?

Studmuffin
09-06-2011, 06:52 AM
Maybe you copied the wrong set of dll's into SAW vst plugin folder?

A fair assumption but no I checked the created by date....

Rabbit
09-06-2011, 12:55 PM
I don't think I've ever seen that particular error but I'm on XP Pro here. Are you on Win 7 64 bit? Could that somehow be an issue?

Grekim
09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Make sure the waveshell is also in the VST folder!

Studmuffin
09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Make sure the waveshell is also in the VST folder!

Thanks yes it is.

And I'm 32 bit here.

I'm going to try a complete unsinstll/re-install tomorrow.

If that doesn't work someones going to get an ebay bargain.

Studmuffin
09-07-2011, 07:08 AM
I give up!

Did a complete unsinstall. Deleted any rogue dlls and then installed over again. Did the shell2vst trick and hey presto, the dlls are in the SawStudio folder. Tried to plug one and the error msg says "Trouble accessing plugin".

Driving me nuts.

I'll just have to take the hit and ebay it. Shame, it's a nice set of plugs.

What's the vibe on UAD 2? Will that play nice with SawStudio? I'm thinking I'll try that route....

Bob L
09-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Did you try installing the Waves shell where it wants to go... in its default folder... then create the Shell2Vst dlls in that same folder... and do not move them... then use the .ini file link in the SAWStudio VST_Plugins folder pointing to the dlls... details in the helpfile.

Sometimes the copy schemes do not allow the dlls to be moved anymore, which is why I recommend using the .ini file link method to point to the installed vst dlls.

Bob L

Studmuffin
09-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Did you try installing the Waves shell where it wants to go... in its default folder... then create the Shell2Vst dlls in that same folder... and do not move them... then use the .ini file link in the SAWStudio VST_Plugins folder pointing to the dlls... details in the helpfile.

Sometimes the copy schemes do not allow the dlls to be moved anymore, which is why I recommend using the .ini file link method to point to the installed vst dlls.

Bob L

Well it's worth a try Bob. Can you remind me how to do the .ini link thing please?

Bob L
09-07-2011, 01:29 PM
From the helpfile:

Regarding installation of VST Plug-ins: Many VST installers will ask for a destination folder. You should choose the VST_PlugIns folder under the SAWStudio main folder. Some of these installers will create another subfolder inside of the chosen folder. For VST plug-ins to show up correctly inside of SAWStudio, they must be directly inside of the VST_PlugIns folder. If a VST plug-in does not show up in the SAWStudio FX Choices list, check the VST_PlugIns folder to see if a subfolder was created and simply move the applicable plug-in .dll file(s) into the VST_PlugIns folder directly.

Some VST Plug-In installations will hardcode or otherwise force their plug-in path to remain intact as installed and will not allow the .dlls to be moved into the SAW VST_PlugIns folder. SAWStudio will allow VST Plugins to reside in any folder on any drive by placing an .ini file substitute in the VST_Plugins folder pointing to the full path of the dll file itself. Open the Notepad (or any other ascii text editor) to create a new text file. Inside the file, type the full drive and path and original .dll filename on the first line of the file. Make sure to finish the line with a carriage return by pressing the [Enter] key to return the cursor to the start of the next line. Then save the file as an .ini file using the same name as the plugin itself. For example, if a VST Plugin called TestPlug.dll is installed to D:\VST\Work, then create an .ini file called TestPlug.ini and inside the file type the line D:\VST\Work\TestPlug.dll followed by a carriage return. This .ini file, placed in the VST_PlugIns folder under SAWStudio, will now link SAWStudio to find the VST plug-in in its originally installed path. This can help solve compatibility issues with hardwired path plug-ins and their various copy protection schemes.

Some of the newer VST plugins, like Waves Version 6.0, are now using a Shell loader instead of direct access to the individual plugin dlls. With these types of Shell VST loaders, you can use a utility like Shell2VST to extract the dll loaders from the Shell as separate dlls. These can then be opened by placing them in the SAWStudio VST_Plugins folder or using the .ini linker method.

Bob L

Richard Rupert
09-07-2011, 03:17 PM
<SNIP>

The galling thing is that a friend of mine in Sweden has a pirate version of the Waves SSL software and apparantly it installled first time and worked perfectly with SS too.

I normally would never suggest this, but since you've bought the software, maybe you could see if your friend would send you a copy of his hacked version. That would be better than selling the plugs if you really like what they do.... just a thought. It's not like you'd be stealing anyone's intellectual property. Just don't distribute it. :)

Steven Hayes
12-03-2013, 04:30 PM
When i use shell to vst says it gives me the error "Fail to create vst" ANY Ideas?

Grekim
12-03-2013, 04:39 PM
When i use shell to vst says it gives me the error "Fail to create vst" ANY Ideas?

Are you extracting in a directory with permissions set correctly...just an idea.

Steven Hayes
12-03-2013, 04:41 PM
i got it to work. Thanks for the help