PDA

View Full Version : The Frequency analyzer

AudioAstronomer
06-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Have you all tried this yet? I really suggest you take time to... I am completely and utterly floored by the performance. I've tried numerous analyzers and beside the fact that none of the have even near half the response. None of them even have near the features. Zooming in on specific frequencies, listening to specific bands or groups of bands...

it's a dream come true.... and I tried the reverb too... goodness. *sigh* Love :)

Anyways, just had to share my praises and recommendation. That frequency analyzer kicks butt!

Bob L
06-15-2004, 11:23 PM
Glad you are enjoying it... it is quite different from most spectrum analizers...

I have used it to solve many issues in complex mixes and zero in on just the frequencies that were bothering me quickly.

Very interesting tool.

The reverb algorithm was designed by Hristo a past employee and co-worker. He did an awesome job, I think... I have used the Gymnasium High Density chamber in so many projects and with a slight tweak of an EQ patched in after the reverb, it has been a dream.

Bob L

soundtrack2life
06-16-2004, 06:50 AM
I have all of the SAW plugs except this one. I would love to own it if it could help my mixes. Could someone explain to me exactly how I would benifit by seeing my mix and or individual tracks.
Joe :confused:

Bob L
06-16-2004, 07:01 AM
I use it when mixing by placing it on the output track. Then as I am working on the mix, if I hear something that is not quite right, I solo the track in question.

Now I can see only that track in the analyzer. Use the Analyzer to zoom in on the troubled area and begin to find a particular frequency range that may be sticking out or missing. Many times I hear something and adjust an eq frequency, only to find that I'm having to use way too much eq correction to get the sound I'm looking for.

In almost all of these cases, by looking close at the analyzer and then by using the Listen options, I will find that my eq choice was way off from where I thought it should be... when I find the correct frequency that was bothering me, then I find that a small amount of eq correction is all that's needed to get the sound I was after.

Obviously, the less adjustment used, the cleaner the final sound.

It's also a great tool to learn how to hear frequencies and identify them by ear. Listening to different instruments with the Listen option On, can be a great teacher for learning how to identify what different frequency ranges sound like... pretty soon you can become quite good at pinpointing a troubled frequency range by ear.

Bob L

Naturally Digital
06-16-2004, 08:10 AM
Hi Bob,

Have you had any thoughts about adding some averaging modes to the Frequency Analyser?

Dave.

Bob L
06-16-2004, 10:05 AM
I'm not sure I can find any reason to add averaging modes... by overlapping the bandwidth of the filters and controlling the speed of the meter response, you can seem to get displays of anything an averaging mode might do for you.

Bob L

Burkeville
06-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I use it to find the exact location for my de esser. It works perfectly for that. Other nice applications are eq'ing double bass, finding where to set filters and almost anything in particular. Or if I am working in my office where I only have auratones. Funny I have been recording for a long time and I still learn things about frequencies and harmonics.

What a useful tool.

Dingo
06-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Any chance of a tutorial video like the one for the levelizer? I don't know about anyone else but I would like to see more, and more in depth, videos on the levelizer and the frequency analyser.

Oz Nimbus
06-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Wow! Nice plugin Bob! I really like the "listen" mode. Lets you zoom right in on the trouble spots. Combined with the Levelizer, that's an unbeatable mastering combo!

So when are you going to come up with a multiband comp?

-0z-

AudioAstronomer
06-23-2004, 10:33 AM
Wow! Nice plugin Bob! I really like the "listen" mode. Lets you zoom right in on the trouble spots. Combined with the Levelizer, that's an unbeatable mastering combo!

-0z-

You can make your own in sawstudio very easily, but I think it's a tool that is rather useless really. You can do much more creative things to a signal to fix various problems, especially if you're in the hands of the original mix. Mastering should never be a "fix it" stage :)

Carey Langille
06-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Heheh Maybe in a perfect world Robert, but i find myself needing tons of tools i shouldn't need when mastering SOME projects these days.....People dont take time anymore, its all rush rush, or how cheap can you do it.... People try to compare $5,000 albums with $200,000 albums. Unless the musicians are awesome and KNOW their stuff, it usually takes good old time to really make a recording/mix shine..IMHO.. Peace! Out.....

AudioAstronomer
06-23-2004, 11:32 AM
Agreed :) I really do think there are alternatives to multi-band compression, eve if it becomes a fix-it session :)

TotalSonic
06-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Hi Bob,

Have you had any thoughts about adding some averaging modes to the Frequency Analyser?

Dave.

Dave -
Both Brainspawns SAW native plugin "SpektR"and Elemental Audio's freeware VST plugin "Inspector" include average mode display options.

http://www.brainspawn.com
http://www.elementalaudio.com

I've used both with great success in SAW.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Yura
06-23-2004, 01:43 PM

-0z-

if you prefere such things as multiband procesing, you can create your
own within plugin Reactor NI, assembling it with as much bands as you need.
for instance, I gesign my unique companders and compressors within it, that has an adjusting delay in direct signal chain before automated amplifier. the time of reaction of the gate is less then zero (negative) and the result is it realy has attac time not more then zero. that "unitary" dinamics changer may be more power eater. but it can realy beat all tasks.

Naturally Digital
06-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Hey Yura,

If you like doing this sort of thing, you may want to check out Quantum FX by Dave Brown.

http://www.quantum-fx.com/

Listen well,
Dave.

Yura
06-24-2004, 08:05 AM
Hey Yura,

If you like doing this sort of thing, you may want to check out Quantum FX by Dave Brown.

Listen well,
Dave.

Hehe! not bad not bad! in ever cases much more interesting than majority.
thankx, I didnt know about it. and i'll test it.
btw, Dave, why you didnt answer to the shades letter. you'v brought the theme and gone away!

ghowardjr
06-24-2004, 11:56 AM
Yura. I'm not trying to be a "cop" but I have a question. I noticed your status still says member, but you speak of using SawStudio on a regular basis. Why doesn't your label say Basic or Lite or Studio user?

Thanks,
Gary

Yura
06-24-2004, 07:11 PM
Yura. I'm not trying to be a "cop" but I have a question. I noticed your status still says member, but you speak of using SawStudio on a regular basis. Why doesn't your label say Basic or Lite or Studio user?

Thanks,
Gary

This question needs at last to make a loop around the word.
but, if you had to see, Bob himself hasn't to ask me. I assure you, not of any carelessness or malinformation. it is OK, Gary.

Best respects

Oz Nimbus
06-25-2004, 10:49 AM
Well, I've just ordered the Freq. Analyzer & Levelizer plug. Now the waiting game begins. Come on Bob! Step on it! I've gotta go to work in an hour! :eek:

Yes, I have a day job. I build Chrysler minivans...... :(

Yura
06-27-2004, 03:37 AM
Hey Yura,

Listen well,
Dave.

!!!
today have a nice work in assembling own new plugins with this stuff!
neat stuff designed for exellent audio effects...
all would be nice completely if it will have at last any of MIDI support! :eek:
ha ha

Y.O.

Naturally Digital
06-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Dave -
Both Brainspawns SAW native plugin "SpektR"and Elemental Audio's freeware VST plugin "Inspector" include average mode display options.

http://www.brainspawn.com
http://www.elementalaudio.com

I've used both with great success in SAW.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Hi Steve,

Yes. Thank you. FWIW, I was suggesting some longer term averaging modes (although that wasn't obvious I now see) more like what I'm used to with ST's SpectraRTA/PRO, ATSpec and FFT properties.

Not really necessary, just a thought.

Take care,
Dave.

Ollie
06-28-2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Bob and all,
I have a mix that has a couple of frequency related problems that I want to track down. I downloaded the demo to see what it might do for me of the analyzer. Demo mode seems to have a very short life span. Meaning, it hits the time limit quickly. Makes it hard for me to practically use the demo. What is the quickest way to reset the tool so I can do more analysis. I am not seeing any scheme to start into demo mode again quickly. Sometimes it will start up again, sometimes not.

This is a tool I am thinking of purchasing, but wanted to see what it does for me on a problem.

Bob L
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Ollie,

The demo needs no resetting, simply drag your cursor back to the top and play again.

The limit is a 45-50 sec area at the front of the MT TimelLine.

This was done so the demo remains a little inconvenient to just jumping around and using it for short playbacks anywhere within a session without buying it... it is not freeware. :)

To test it on different material, move regions of different instruments down to the first minute of the MT... on different tracks and patch it into the output track... now begin playback and simply use the solo or HotTrack solo mode to jump around the different tracks... or combinations of tracks as in a mix of certain instruments.

Or build small mix sections of critical listening material and lay them out at the front of the timeline.

Definitely, read the helpfile and begin experimenting with the zoom controls and frequency bandwidth and centering controls... this is where the design really shows its differences from other typical spectrum analyzers.

Also, play with the Listen button and get familiar with the power of hearing specific small bands of frequency range to find a troubled spot.

Good Luck,

Bob L

Ollie
06-28-2004, 01:39 PM
Thanks,
I know it is not Freeware, but I was trying to see how it worked with a real problem. If it helped me solve the problem quicker, it definitely be worth the purchase. I will take your suggestion. Thanks again.