PDA

View Full Version : Cue mixes...

AudioAstronomer
06-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Are there any tricks you fine folks are aware of with setting up cue mixes and such for performers? The old Aux send is what im using... But anything else interesting? Seems like the X-Y panner could be used somehow, or some of the nifty routing... or something...

Not big on my agenda of things to explore but thought Id bring it up while its on my mid.

Bob L
06-16-2004, 07:14 AM
The Aux Send is the way to go... using the Pre option.

I usually leave 1 or 2 for reverb, and many are not aware that you can route and mix the reverb returns back to the aux sends outs directly in the console.

If you use a virtual reverb plug in an aux return, you can simply double assign the return track, to the main out bus you are listening to, and to the out bus that the headphone cue is assigned to on the Aux Send for the cue.

For example, if Aux Send 1 is used as a cue mix, you would have the Aux Send 1 Master assigned to an out device that is then feeding your headphone amps, say out device 4. Perhaps Aux Send 6 is used as a reverb, assign it virtual and patch in the reverb plug in Return Track 6. Now assign the Return track to out 1 so you can hear it, but also assign it to out 4, the same as the cue send. Now, by having Out 4 assigned as a device out (to itself), you now have a separate return level to the cue mix for the reverb return, by using the out 4 fader. This internally sums into device 4 with the Aux Send data.

Bob L