PDA

View Full Version : More questions.

haywire
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
I had some more questions that I was unable to find answers for in the
manual. In these questions I may compare features between saw and
my current d.a.w. software adobe audition.

1) Crash recovery In audition if your computer or session crashes you can
reboot and start where you left off. I guess it saves the session to a temp
buffer file. Does saw do this?

2) The format which saw saves, does it save the wav files seperately?

Sometimes I send tracks for remix to a friend who uses cubase and or logic.
He just ignores my .ses file and loads up the wav files in his editor to pick
out parts he will include in the remix.

3) The single wav file editor, I see mark I see zoom,
Dosn't saw have a built in editor for common funtions like cut, trim,
amplify,play, reverse, fade in, fade out, and so forth? Maybe I am just
retarded but I don't see that anywhere in saw.

I'm starting to figure out the multi-track. After learning navigating that and the mixer I'll feel alot better.

Thanks for your help,

Steven

Bert
02-25-2005, 11:30 AM
Hi Steven

I am only testing sawstudio like you but here is what I have found so far:

out parts he will include in the remix.

You find the audiofiles in a subfolder labeld "audio". But it seems that one audiofile can contain one or more of the individual regions yoou see in the multitrack window. So some cutting needs to be done.

amplify,play, reverse, fade in, fade out, and so forth?

In the wave file editor you can make selections easily and also change the wave at the sample level for removing short noises.
The other functions can be performed in the multitrack window, you need to know the key commands or else you won't get very far. The online tutorial helps a lot.

The only function I didn't find in Saw is amplifying or normalizing. I saw a normalize button in the leveller but not in the Saw itself.

Hth
Bert

Mountain Media
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Just some quick answers, of what ever help I may be --

I had some more questions that I was unable to find answers for in the
manual. In these questions I may compare features between saw and
my current d.a.w. software adobe audition.

1) Crash recovery In audition if your computer or session crashes you can
reboot and start where you left off. I guess it saves the session to a temp
buffer file. Does saw do this?Once a project is setup, and an initial EDL has been saved, whenever you press 'Cntl - S' the EDL, with all project data, will be updated. If the system crashes (assuming you don't loose disk data) you can recover from the most recently updated EDL save. Another recovery function is the multiple-level Undo. Many (most) functions performed in the MT cause an Undo file to be recorded. You may retrieve any of these Undo files and, essentially, recover the session to the point that specific Undo file was captured.

out parts he will include in the remix.All actual audio data files associated with SAWStudio are separate .wav files. Any files created from mixes are saved as individual .wav files. These files may be saved, basically, anywhere you choose, and grouped any way you choose. They could be sent as individual .wav files to be used in other editing software. Remember though, any editing done in the MT, such as cuts, moved regions, etc. are non-destructive edits and do NOT affect the original .wav audio file. Therefore' these edits will not be in the .wav data files, unless you have created a separate build/mix .wav audio file incorporating the edits from the MT.

amplify,play, reverse, fade in, fade out, and so forth? Maybe I am just
retarded but I don't see that anywhere in saw.The quick answer is 'yes' - examples, cut -- place the cursor on an mt track and press 'k' key. trim -- place cursor close to a region boundry you want to trim, press ALT key and Hold down Left Mouse button (cursor area will show 4 arrows) by moving the cursor with mouse, you can trim selected region boundry in either direction. Amplify (assume you mean vertical zoom of peak data display) -- with cursor focused on an MT track -- press Shift and PgUp or PgDn. Play -- with cursor focused in MT, pressing Space bar will toggle MT Play on/off. Reverse -- with cursor focused on an MT region, Alt-Right Click will bring up a menu box, selecting Reverse Audio will reverse the specific region under the cursor. Fades (in/out) are handled in the Automation functions, etc.

In general, there are two, and often more, ways of initiating most of the functions in SAWStudio. These are all in the Help/User Manual. I can't emphasize strongly enough the benefit of reading the manual data from beginning to end, watch the videos several times, and go through the Online Training Tutorials (audio and still images). There is SO much function here and SO many ways of doing most things, that if you read and test each function, though you may not remember exactly how to do them all, if you need one, you will probably remember that it can be done, and then you can find the 'how-to' pretty quickly!

The more you learn, the more you will enjoy the experience!! :D

Bob L
02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
You will find that SAWStudio hangs onto the philosophy of non-destructive editing... all editing work and file manipulation take place in the MultiTrack... not in a single file editing window like the SoundFile view anymore.

With F-Keys, you can instantly see one large track onscreen, like an editor window, and do all your cuts and adjustments and level and eq and other processing work in real time... live, non-destructively... till you are satisfied... then you simply use the BuildMix option to create a perfect new wav file... with all the changes... without ever destroying the original file... that way, you have much faster results that are limitless in your ability to make adjustments.

Typical destructive processing commands in most editing windows rewrite the file every time you adjust something new... over and over... and in many cases, resolution and data clarity can start to degrade from repeated floating point calculations and operations with each adjustment... in SAWStudio... you never have that problem... but its a slightly different thought process. :)

The end result can be significantly better and much faster overall, because the file gets re-written only once no matter how many edits and adjustments you make.

Bob L