PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Accessing PlugIn!

AudioAstronomer
06-16-2004, 09:06 PM
I had posted this before and I think it was removed because it corrupted a database entry or something in the forum...

I try the simulanalog.org g-suite plugins and I receive this error.

What are some possible causes?

Jesse Skeens
06-16-2004, 09:16 PM
Its because the Simulanalog ones dont have a built in GUI. So you need to use something like Spinaudios Skinrack or a VST-DX adapter (that adds its own skin) for them to show up.

Its in the FAQ over at totalsonicmedia.com btw...

Jesse

AudioAstronomer
06-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Ah. Good catch. thanks, Let me see about this...

Bob L
06-16-2004, 10:51 PM
Good catch Jesse... that one slipped right by me. :)

Bob L

Jesse Skeens
06-16-2004, 10:57 PM
I almost asked the same question here recently but stumbled on the totalsonic faq.

AudioAstronomer
06-16-2004, 11:50 PM
What's a good way to do this free.... I am not too keen on spending more $$ just so I can use free plug-ins. I may as well just buy amplitube or GreenMachine (which I like A LOT)... eh

Jesse Skeens
06-17-2004, 12:32 AM
from what i hear these are the best though, better than amplitube. skinrack is only $40, i have an old copy of fxpansion vst-dx adapter so im using that.

jesse

TotalSonic
06-17-2004, 06:32 AM
I like Spin Audio's VST Skinrack a lot and have found it really useful as there still are some gui-less VST plugins that I think have a lot of use - i.e. all the MDA stuff.

One way to get around this if you have SAWPro also is to use the freeware JMS FX32 Linker at http://www.jms-audioware.com/fx32_linker.htm and then copy the FX_VSTLinker.dll found in the SAWPro folder to the FX32 folder that will be installed in your SAWStudio Native_Plugins folder. You can then launch the JMS FX32 Linker plugin in SAWStudio, click it to load the SAWPro VST Linker, and then use this to launch your gui-less VST plugin.

Bob -
have you ever thought of making the SAWPro VST linker dll as a free download so people could do just this? It'd would allow people to use gui-less VST plugins in SAWStudio without having to buy or look for a wrapper.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
06-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Steve,

Sounds like a good idea to me. I'll have Jeanne set that up later today hopefully.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-17-2004, 10:55 AM
Yay!

SkinRack isnt free unfortunately, demo only allows 2 skinnings to be done. It also messes up the plugin box by adding lots of fairly useless entries.

Bob L
06-17-2004, 12:23 PM
The VST Linker is out in the Misc downloads at www.SAWStudio.com (http://www.SAWStudio.com).

There is also a link to Jon's plugin companion.

Bob L

TotalSonic
06-17-2004, 01:37 PM
wow! Jeanne works quick.
Since the link is kind of buried the direct link for those interested in it -
http://www.sawstudio.com/Downloads/FX_VSTLinker.zip

It's on the Misc. Downloads page - which has some cool stuff that some here might not be aware - such as an awesome freeware format converter called dbPowerAmp. Also there is Floppy Kopy - a cool freeware utility Bob wrote a bit ago which allows you to split large files and place them across multiple media, i.e. you can take a 2 gig wave file and split them across CD-R's, etc.
http://www.sawstudio.com/Downloads_Miscellaneous.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic
06-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Just thought of another fun link. If any one out there is going to the bother of installing the JMS FX32 Linker in order to use the VST Linker - you might want to also load it with some cool freeware SAWPro plugins that are still available -
http://hjem.get2net.dk/maudio/

There are four plugins - a tube saturation simulator, a ring modulator, a delay and a tremelo - which have worked fine in SAWStudio using the FX32 Linker in my tests. Happy plugin grabbing! :)

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AudioAstronomer
06-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Ive been using Dbpoweramp for a long time now and refuse to use anything else. The whole right click menu in explorer ROCKS. It is missing CDDB though I think which kind of stinks

This FX linker is very nice... Particularly since Im using it to setup guitar amp simulations I can put all my virtual pedals, cab, amp etc.. into just 1 fx linker :) That's actually pretty neat.

bertie
06-17-2004, 02:34 PM
hi Bob,

i just downloaded the vst linker plugin but when i try to open it i get an message like "trouble accessing plugin".

is this vst linker attached normally as plugin or else?

Bertie (lifetime SAWStudio user) :)

Bob L
06-17-2004, 02:54 PM
The VST linker is from the old SAWPro engine... it will not run by itself in the SAWStudio engine.

Jon Marshall Smith wrote the FX Linker program that you also need to use any old 32 bit SAW plugin in the new SAWStudio engine.

Patch his linker, then you can open the VST Linker inside that.

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
06-18-2004, 02:07 PM
The ultimate solution Ive found is a chepa little program called EnergyXT

www.xt-hq.com

VSt with a built in sequencer, multitrack, VST and VSTi support etc.. Anything you cant do with VST in saw, this thing can do and send out as a normal VST effect.

very, VERY neat stuff.