PDA

View Full Version : SAC preferences & defaults same on multiple systems?

glass50
12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
With two "no Internet" systems, what files need to be transferred so both are identical? I use a portable USB hard drive for my SAC downloads. It has all versions of RML software ready to be installed on either system. Would like to include my favorite preferences, defaults, shades, what ever. That way, when a better way is discoverd, it easier to incorporate in both system

905shmick
12-20-2011, 09:36 AM
If they're identical systems in terms of hardware / OS config, you should be able to copy the entire c:\sac folder and be good to go with regards to SAC.

If you've got 3rd party plugins installed, you'll need to verify that they work on the backup system.

glass50
12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. DigSys2 is win7, DigSys1 is winXP. Problems with copying SAC folder based on OS? No third party plugs.

MikeDee
12-20-2011, 11:14 AM
I would suggest the following:

1. Copy the entire C:\SAC folder over to the Win7 (backup) machine.

2. Reinstall SAC and the RML plugins.
***8729;***8729;***8729; a. Right-click each SAC or plugin installer file, and click Troubleshoot Compatibility to determine whether XP2 or XP3 compatibility is indicated.
***8729;***8729;***8729; b. In Properties | Compatibility tab, set XP2 or XP3 compatibility (depending on Troubleshoot Compatibility's result); click the Run as Administrator checkbox.

3. Set the SAC application's compatibility.
***8729;***8729;***8729; a. In the Programs list, right-click SAC and click Properties.
***8729;***8729;***8729; b. In the Compatibility tab, set XP2 or XP3 compatibility (same setting as the installer file); click the Run as Administrator checkbox.

For future reference:

The VST plugins , if any, whose .dll files were copied to the C:\SAC\VST_Plugins folder on the XP system (i.e., no actual installer file was run) should operate fine, even if your version of Win7 is 64-bit (not sure whether it is...'twas not specified). However, any VST that was installed with an .exe file on the XP system should be reinstalled on the Win7 system, since Registry entries might have been written. In any event, you should verify that each VST plugin works properly in SAC.

Any DX plugins, if any, will have to be reinstalled <period>. Then verify each one as well.

HTH,

Bob L
12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
I would also be careful with copying default preference files... instead I would recommend clearing the default prefs and create a new one on the new machine... otherwise there could be some internal corruption.

F-Key files are fine to copy and mix template files are fine to copy.

Bob L

glass50
12-20-2011, 12:14 PM
Thanks all. My next change is to convert DigSys1 from winXP to win7 Home Prem 64b with SolidState HD. This happens in January and should make both identical except DigSys1 is i5 with FoxFire MoBo, DigSys2 is i3 with ASUS MoBo. Copying defaults should (?) be OK then.

Happy to report that win7 is working well for me.