PDA

View Full Version : Shortcuts?

karagjoz
01-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Ok, maybe I am not the fist person with this kind of questions, sorry for that...
But, are in saw studio some very important (IMHO) shortcuts?
1. save as
2. open soundfile
3. open EDL
4. open sound file and add to Multitrack - maybe the most important..

I do realize that drag&drop function of sound files and edit lists directly in the timeline is maybe incompatible with the engine of SawStudio and can not be implemented easily, but these shortcuts are VERY important for quick work with the software.
Maybe the problem is that I came from another software ecosystem...
Maybe these shortcuts are present in saw studio and it is my fault I didn't see them...:-)

And another thing - when the video is in 16/9 ratio, maybe it will be better if the presets in video viewer have this option? Yes, I know that if I drag the border of the viewer, I can change the aspect ratio, but if it is not fixed exactly at 16/9, the view is not very good. Many of recent movies are in 16/9 ratio, so the problem will be actual.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my English

Hristo

Bob L
01-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Hristo,

SAWStudio is very different from the rest of the pack... but certain keyboard shortcuts are not where the speed increase and performance come from... using menus is certainly not going to slow down your workflow, especially when so many other things will speed it up... focus was placed in different areas.

There is the Ctrl-S for Save and Update your edl... there are so many function variations that shortcut keys that make sense simply run out after a few... so I didn't bother in many areas. It's very easy to use any software or hardware macro utility to create your own shortcut keys if that becomes important to you... I suggest the X-Keys hardware keyboard add-on which can be programmed to perform all kinds of menu based functions with the touch of one key.

The video viewer can be set to the video actual size... so if you open a newer 16/9 ratio file, then select the Zoom Actual Size function, it will snap to size.

I recommend reading all the navigation and interface details and practicing a bit without trying to expect SAWStudio to act like the systems you are familiar with... in a short time... hopefully you will see and hear the differences in your results, and realize the benefits those of us that are SAW fans enjoy everyday.

Bob L

karagjoz
01-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Yes, Bob, you know I was thinking a lot a time before making a move to Sawstudio - entirely on all workstations in my studio.
I invested a lot of money and time in another options - I have a Protools HD system with a C/24 controler:) , and many other protools licences as well. But I think that SS is more reliable, more quick.. so I chosed it.
Please don't think that I will ask for some things only for the reason that I have seen them in another systems. There are many things which make SS very fast and usefull, the synchro with the video is perfect, I see it. But... the mouse is a good thing, but if I can use a keyboard shortcut, it every time is faster. And... if this command is used a 20000 times in a day... Of course, everything is IMHO. And this commands (the four I mentioned) are very basic, we use them a lot.
Of course, the last word will be yours:). And, of course, I will continue using the soft, it is briliant.

P.S. The "actual size" in the video viewer is ok, but more frequently I personally use the half size of the viewer - 352/288 - half size of PAL DV.
No matter, I can live with it...

Bob L
01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
You can default the video viewer to your favorite size by saving its preferences in the viewer popup menu.

Then if you load a video of an odd size or a 16/9 once in a while, simply select the actual size and it will snap to fit... so you really are not stuck with having to ever drag the video borders trying to create the size to match.

Glad to have you aboard... in a short time, hopefully it will all feel wonderful.

Bob L