PDA

View Full Version : TouchOSC

JeremyJo
01-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Whatever happened to the touchosc thread and development that was going a couple weeks ago? TouchOSC seems like a possible route into an iPad app if it won't be provided by Bob.

Anyone tried that with success?

Thanks

JJ

gdougherty
01-08-2012, 05:47 PM
Whatever happened to the touchosc thread and development that was going a couple weeks ago? TouchOSC seems like a possible route into an iPad app if it won't be provided by Bob.

Anyone tried that with success?

Thanks

JJ

I've had moderate success with AC-7 on my iPhone. Problem with that kind of stuff is the robustness of the wifi to midi link and how SAC or something drops the connection until its reset. Not good enough in a venue that I'd be willing to rely on it.

brettbrandon
01-09-2012, 12:42 PM
The search function is a wonderful tool...

http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14707&highlight=touchosc

JeremyJo
01-09-2012, 01:43 PM
No doubt; I used the search function - I was just wondering if any more had been done on the app.

It should be able to connect to the Mackie midi Template, no?

Maybe I can try and play with TouchOSC and see if it makes any sense to me.

it's not as "pretty" as the SACRemote app, but if it was more functional than the AC-7 app it could be very useful.

Thanks

JJ

905shmick
01-09-2012, 10:02 PM
JonSharp (http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/member.php?u=5585) on this forum was doing some work with TouchOSC. He wrote an OSC<>MIDI translator and had it running with SAC.

It was really nice being able to create your own iPhone or iPad layout to control SAC. I tried it out on my iPod touch and it worked reasonably well.

I'd really love to see native OSC control make its way into SAC. A nice XML style layout to create custom control surface interaction would really help take the burden off of what seems to be a lot of hacks to make MIDI worth smooth with SAC.

905shmick
03-31-2012, 07:18 PM
TouchOSC now has its own MIDI Bridge software for Win and Mac

http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-configuration-connections-bridge

There's also been a bunch of fixes and improvements in the latest release. Time to give it another whirl!

905shmick
03-31-2012, 08:17 PM
TouchOSC now has its own MIDI Bridge software for Win and Mac

http://hexler.net/docs/touchosc-configuration-connections-bridge

There's also been a bunch of fixes and improvements in the latest release. Time to give it another whirl!

And so far not so good :p

The TouchOSC Bridge software loads, but as soon as I config SAC to use it, the bridge software crashes.

Craig Allen
03-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I just bought an iPad 2 and am considering using it with SAC, but have a question - which control software is currently the most easy/bug free? From your latest post, it would appear to not be TouchOSC. I've done some searching on the forum, and it looks like Lemur and AC7 are the choices currently out there.

905shmick
03-31-2012, 09:36 PM
I just bought an iPad 2 and am considering using it with SAC, but have a question - which control software is currently the most easy/bug free? From your latest post, it would appear to not be TouchOSC. I've done some searching on the forum, and it looks like Lemur and AC7 are the choices currently out there.

Yeah, AC7 looks to be the easiest of the bunch so far.

The ability to customize TouchOSC is selling feature for me, though it's a bit of an uphill battle right now, though I'm willing to work through those kinks.

Perhaps Bob will add direct OSC support into SAC in the future, especially since we've seen recent talks on the forum about the limitations of SAC with massive amounts of MIDI .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Sound_Control

Craig Allen
03-31-2012, 09:48 PM
I didn't realize that Lemur was $50! It looks like AC7 is for me for now... I might get TouchOSC if the bugs get worked out. Thanks for pushing this forward.

hkmorgan87
04-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Touch osc was the first app that I tried. I loved being able to customize the interface as I wanted it. But touch osc doesn't support pitch bend or sysex. Which are required for many of the sac templates to work. The touch osc midi bridge was nice when it came out, but it is buggy and does crash quite often. And touch osc bridge didn't have to way to to customize what midi commands the osc commands turned into. At least not in the program. To use touch osc properly,nyou need to know how to use midi OS to convert some midi commands to ones that sac can work with. Beneficial to some if you are willing to spend the time. I was not, and opted for ac-7.

905shmick
04-03-2012, 06:21 AM
Touch osc was the first app that I tried. I loved being able to customize the interface as I wanted it. But touch osc doesn't support pitch bend or sysex. Which are required for many of the sac templates to work. The touch osc midi bridge was nice when it came out, but it is buggy and does crash quite often. And touch osc bridge didn't have to way to to customize what midi commands the osc commands turned into. At least not in the program. To use touch osc properly,nyou need to know how to use midi OS to convert some midi commands to ones that sac can work with. Beneficial to some if you are willing to spend the time. I was not, and opted for ac-7.

Yeah, the TouchOSC MIDI bridge is buggy for sure. Right now I've got TouchOSC + rtpMIDI + SAC Remote working. rtpMIDI looks to work similar to the TouchOSC bridge util.

So far I have 16 faders working using the Yamaha 01V midi template in SAC. The MIDI control options from the TouchOSC editor is pretty basic and quite limited in what it can do.

If SAC were to get native OSC support one day, we'd be able to have customized layouts that could suit everyone's needs.

The ability to control any function on any mixer could exist and be easily defined.

It would be something along the lines of:

/mixer/FOH/input/1/fader
/mixer/Monitor1/input/1/fader
/mixer/Monitor2/input/1/fader

gdougherty
04-03-2012, 08:19 AM
Yeah, the TouchOSC MIDI bridge is buggy for sure. Right now I've got TouchOSC + rtpMIDI + SAC Remote working. rtpMIDI looks to work similar to the TouchOSC bridge util.

So far I have 16 faders working using the Yamaha 01V midi template in SAC. The MIDI control options from the TouchOSC editor is pretty basic and quite limited in what it can do.

If SAC were to get native OSC support one day, we'd be able to have customized layouts that could suit everyone's needs.

The ability to control any function on any mixer could exist and be easily defined.

It would be something along the lines of:

/mixer/FOH/input/1/fader
/mixer/Monitor1/input/1/fader
/mixer/Monitor2/input/1/fader
Imagine with Bob documenting the remote protocol, someone would be able to write a SAC/OSC translator.

905shmick
04-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Imagine with Bob documenting the remote protocol, someone would be able to write a SAC/OSC translator.

True, though it might be more beneficial to fully implement OSC into SAC and you've taken care of most, if not all of the work, all with a a nice open protocol.

REAPER has gone ahead and done just that.

http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/osc/osc.php

gdougherty
04-04-2012, 08:39 AM
True, though it might be more beneficial to fully implement OSC into SAC and you've taken care of most, if not all of the work, all with a a nice open protocol.

REAPER has gone ahead and done just that.

http://www.reaper.fm/sdk/osc/osc.php

I'd be fine with having all the current control support removed in lieu of Osc support. Seems there are plenty of oddities with control surface support and some sort of osc translation could easily be worked to up to read and manipulate the parameters needed. Perhaps making everything available via osc but utilizing a customizable osc filter template for your control integration to minimize the data transfer necessary.

905shmick
04-04-2012, 10:10 AM
I'd be fine with having all the current control support removed in lieu of Osc support. Seems there are plenty of oddities with control surface support and some sort of osc translation could easily be worked to up to read and manipulate the parameters needed. Perhaps making everything available via osc but utilizing a customizable osc filter template for your control integration to minimize the data transfer necessary.

I've seen several uses where people are using OSC to MIDI widgets as a way of stabilizing the MIDI data over the network, since OSC is already network aware and more efficient than MIDI.

905shmick
04-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Perhaps making everything available via osc but utilizing a customizable osc filter template for your control integration to minimize the data transfer necessary.

I was doing some further reading up on OSC to see how this could be handled and in its current state, it seems to be missing this type of event delegation, which means a lot of data will be transmitted via OSC and discarded by the control surface if it doesn't want/need that data.

I suppose the lion's share of the data in SAC would be the channel meter data. I'm sure the update rate could be considerably slowed down or have the meter resolution dialed down a little for OSC use to keep bandwidth utilization at a more reasonable level.

The amount of bandwidth used by OSC is considerably greater than MIDI due to the intuitive, human readable namespace and 32 or 64 bit sized messages.

Though you have to admit "/sac/mxr/1/in/1/fdr XX" is a lot nicer than '0xB0 0x01 0x6D' :D

gdougherty
04-05-2012, 09:21 AM
I was doing some further reading up on OSC to see how this could be handled and in its current state, it seems to be missing this type of event delegation, which means a lot of data will be transmitted via OSC and discarded by the control surface if it doesn't want/need that data.

I suppose the lion's share of the data in SAC would be the channel meter data. I'm sure the update rate could be considerably slowed down or have the meter resolution dialed down a little for OSC use to keep bandwidth utilization at a more reasonable level.

The amount of bandwidth used by OSC is considerably greater than MIDI due to the intuitive, human readable namespace and 32 or 64 bit sized messages.

Though you have to admit "/sac/mxr/1/in/1/fdr XX" is a lot nicer than '0xB0 0x01 0x6D' :D

But you don't have to send the entire state in every update with OSC, do you? Just the changed values?

On the filter I was thinking on SAC's end. It would essentially define a surface control template so for a map translated to the BCF it wouldn't bother updating labels, or possibly all the eq, dynamics, fx switches, assignment buttons, etc.

905shmick
04-05-2012, 10:07 AM
But you don't have to send the entire state in every update with OSC, do you? Just the changed values?

On the filter I was thinking on SAC's end. It would essentially define a surface control template so for a map translated to the BCF it wouldn't bother updating labels, or possibly all the eq, dynamics, fx switches, assignment buttons, etc.

Correct. Only values that changed would need to be updated. What's also neat about OSC is that you can have individual messages or bundles of messages. When flipping between mixers, SAC could issue an OSC bundle to reflect the entire state of the mixer being viewed followed by individual messages for updates.