PDA

View Full Version : Sac saw problem

davidss1
01-08-2012, 10:29 PM
I get a "buffer over-run not Processed fast enough" error message sometimes when recording. How to fix this?

905shmick
01-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Sounds like the drive is either too slow or too fragmented to keep up with the recording.

gdougherty
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Or failing and needing replaced. Or the computer is too busy with SAC.

Naturally Digital
01-09-2012, 12:16 PM
I get a "buffer over-run not Processed fast enough" error message sometimes when recording. How to fix this?Well, it might be a good idea to post a few more details about what you're doing as it seems kind of vague as to what the problem is. Are you sure that's the exact error message?

I'll take another shot in the dark... Depending on your setup and what loads you're running, you may need to set the processor affinity of SAW to a different CPU core than SAC (using Windows Task Manager).

davidss1
01-10-2012, 03:57 AM
sac running at 1X128 , 44.1 , 16 bit , showing around 23***37; in sac and 9% cpu usage for 21 channels and 6 monitor mixes.
the problem seems intermittant ,,it might happen within 15 sec of engaging record,,or it might record ok for 15 mins before the error message shows.
the last time i used it to record, it worked fine for a 4 hr session, but this show , the maximum i could get was about 15 mins.

Bob L
01-10-2012, 09:28 AM
It could be a sign of the disk running into bad sectors and having trouble writing and giving up after thousands of write tries.

One thing to consider is with these newer very large drives, many people, including me at first, tend to use the quick format option to format them, since the regular format can take 6 or mores hours. Realize that the quick format does not do sector checking along the way and leaves bad or weak sectors available. The regular format will find and map out bad sectors before you try writing data to the drive... this has made a major improvement in my experience, with less drive issues as the drive starts being used.

Bob L

Angie
01-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Realize that the quick format does not do sector checking along the way and leaves bad or weak sectors available. The regular format will find and map out bad sectors before you try writing data to the drive... this has made a major improvement in my experience, with less drive issues as the drive starts being used.

This hadn't occurred to me. I recently had a similar experience while recording to a system I'd been using to record with for over a year without a problem. Suddenly, (in front of a pretty important person), recording would stop about 15 or 20 seconds in. Recorded to a new drive and all was fine. I think I'll try formatting the problem drive and see what happens. :)

Bob L
01-10-2012, 05:01 PM
Most every new drive will have groups of bad sectors... the problem arises when you finally run into them... which may not be till the drive starts to fill up... or they can start out weak... work for a while... then fail.

The regular format operation will attempt to identify weak or bad sectors during the format process (which is what takes so long) and map out ones that do not pass... thereby eliminating your chances of hitting them during a critcal read or write operation.

It's not a failsafe solution... but can certainly help.

Bob L

soundchicken
01-10-2012, 05:51 PM
... Suddenly, (in front of a pretty important person), recording would stop about 15 or 20 seconds in....

isn't that when it always does it :confused:?