PDA

View Full Version : Avlex microphones and other Avlex products....

Donnie Frank
01-15-2012, 06:27 PM
SAC-heads,

Have any of you guys heard of Avlex or used their microphones or other products? I have never heard of them and a client of mine is asking about them. They're thinking of purchasing some. So if they're going to insist on using them I'd like to know what I'm up against.

Thanx!

Brent Evans
01-15-2012, 07:11 PM
Avlex makes pretty good stuff. They also sell under the name Superlux. There is only one US distributor, IIRC.

You might want to look at CAD/Astatic as an alternate. They're a US company, make great mics at many levels of price, and are very affordably priced.

sstillwell
01-15-2012, 08:15 PM
I've used some of their drum mics before and felt okay about them...didn't love 'em, but didn't hate 'em either. They got a lot of use.

Scott

DavidDempseyFOH
01-15-2012, 08:32 PM
I have a Superlux S241/U3 and It has a great sound to it!

Trackzilla
01-16-2012, 11:34 PM
I've used the Superlux branded drum mics rather a lot as several of the local venues have them, perfectly decent, particularly for the price point.

Donnie Frank
01-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Thanx everyone for your input. I appreciate it very much. Lots of good information here.

jlklein
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Avlex makes pretty good stuff. They also sell under the name Superlux. There is only one US distributor, IIRC.

Yup, Ray Rayburn of K2 Audio is the US Distributor of Superlux and also has sites for Audix, Lectrosonics, Mipro, Avlex, and various test equipment...oh, and oil :)

If the name sounds familiar, he has written chapters for the Handbook for Sound Engineers and worked on Cobranet with Cirrus Logic and Peak Audio, and is a very frequent contributor to ChurchSoundCheck.com's email forum.

Go to http://www.soundfirst.com/ and scroll down to "My eCommerce Sites" for the links to the online stores. His Technical page is also worth a look as well.

I've got a few Superlux PRA-238b mics (Beta87 clones), a couple matched sets of CM-H8K pencil condensers (Shoeps Collette clone), a DRK-A3C2 drum mic set (2 SM-81 clones, kick and 3 snare/toms - not sure what they "clone") and a few ECO-88S "youth mics" (PG-58 clones). I've been pleasantly surprised with all of them and put them above many higher prices budget mics, even the "youth mics", so named because they are almost indestructable and only about $20/ea; great for youth groups or fledgling garage bands.

There's better but there's a LOT worse. I would put them up against at least many of the main manufacturers' budget/entry series and way above all the crap from Nady, Digital Reference, Samson, Behringer, etc, even though the prices are similar. And they even vacuum...oh wait, that's Electrolux ;)

HTH,
Jeff

tubetonez
01-17-2012, 11:42 AM
I've used the Avlex and Superlux drum mic kits, and was surprised and impressed with their performance. I preferred the kick mic with the large head, have used the other smaller kick mic too.

I'm currently using a Superlux EV609/906 clone, it's round instead of square, for mic'ng guitar cabs and it works a treat.

LarryBfaderJockey
01-18-2012, 04:41 AM
I have over a dozen Superlux mics and they are very good for the money. The PA238b which is out of production is my favorite stage condenser. Sound great with excellent offaxis rejection. The new PRO238 mkII is awesome used in the correct setting. I have one and five of the older PRO238. The S125 is a great all around condenser. Here is a review I wrote.
http://www.superlux.us/images/S125_review.pdf
And no, I did not receive anuthing for reviewing it. If you are looking for a good dynamic the FI-10 has a crisper sound than an SM58. Also built like a tank.

Larry

LarryBfaderJockey
01-18-2012, 05:15 AM

You might want to look at CAD/Astatic as an alternate. They're a US company, make great mics at many levels of price, and are very affordably priced.

A few years ago a bunch of us guys from Church Sound Check had a meeting in Cleveland and one of the things we did was a blind mic "shootout". About 15 different condenser mics and to our surprise the CAD c195 was the all around winner. It wasn't the most scientific test but it was a blind test so brand cred was not a factor. I have turned quite a few churches on to the c195, especilly since you can get it from MF for $50 shipped. I have a couple.

Larry

RBIngraham
01-18-2012, 06:21 AM
A few years ago a bunch of us guys from Church Sound Check had a meeting in Cleveland and one of the things we did was a blind mic "shootout". About 15 different condenser mics and to our surprise the CAD c195 was the all around winner. It wasn't the most scientific test but it was a blind test so brand cred was not a factor. I have turned quite a few churches on to the c195, especially since you can get it from MF for $50 shipped. I have a couple.

Larry

I think a lot of the CAD line is very good for the money. They are not made in Ohio anymore, but at least their offices are still here, and they are in the Cleveland area now, rather than the real middle of no where Conneaut. :)

I have C195s, and almost all of the Equitek line (E70, E60, E100, E200) as well as one of their percussion packs. The drum mics are just OK, but the rest of their stuff is good.

If you shop around used on eBay the E100 is a great mic. That is the out of production unit that were made by hand in Ohio. The E100s or E100^2 are the china made units. I have 4 of the E100s and use them live all the time. Pretty good for voice over work as well.

The E200 is a bit large and clunky of live work, but again if you get it on eBay you can have a pretty nice mic, for a couple hundred bucks and the 200s were hand made in Ohio as well. The 300 and all other Equitek models are china made.