PDA

View Full Version : mixdown with outboard reverb

buzzjoe
01-16-2012, 10:15 AM
Hello,

I am quite new to SAW(Lite) but I like it very much and so far everthing (recording editing, mixing) worked fine for me :-)

I'd like to build a mix including the Bricasti M7 reverb. I have the Bricasti connected via my Lynx AES card and it works fine as a send/return. But to print my mix I did the following: I recorded my mix to another computer running SAW (on both machines) via AES. It worked but I guess I could do this with just one instance of SAW and a single computer too? So how should I do this "right"?

Oliver

Dave Labrecque
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Hello,

I am quite new to SAW(Lite) but I like it very much and so far everthing (recording editing, mixing) worked fine for me :-)

I'd like to build a mix including the Bricasti M7 reverb. I have the Bricasti connected via my Lynx AES card and it works fine as a send/return. But to print my mix I did the following: I recorded my mix to another computer running SAW (on both machines) via AES. It worked but I guess I could do this with just one instance of SAW and a single computer too? So how should I do this "right"?

Oliver

Hi BJ,

Do a buildmix. It's all explained in the Help file, I think. SAW compensates for the Aux latencies. :)

buzzjoe
01-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Thank you Dave,

but since the Bricasti is patched in I have to assign the "return input source" to the AES device the bricasti is physically connected and I get the "no live device inputs allowed in a build mix operation" message. If I set the "return input soure" to "virtual" than the mix is build but WITHOUT the Bricasti.

Dave Labrecque
01-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Thank you Dave,

but since the Bricasti is patched in I have to assign the "return input source" to the AES device the bricasti is physically connected and I get the "no live device inputs allowed in a build mix operation" message. If I set the "return input soure" to "virtual" than the mix is build but WITHOUT the Bricasti.

That's an interesting prompt you're getting, since it's not true. :) Not sure why you're getting that. I bet Bob will have the answer for you. Sorry, I haven't done this myself; I only know that it's supposed to be possible to do it.

Bob L
01-16-2012, 11:35 AM
With a hardware reverb there is no way to use the buildmix operation directly since the hardware has to have signal played thru it... you can patch it in the aux send returns, but the faster than realtime build mix is no longer possible...

But... you can playback live and loop a cable from the out device back to a stereo in device and record the mix on a blank track in the same MT on the same machine... in other words the SAW acts as the MultiTrack playback and the two track record device all at the same time.

Use the SRP for playback and assign the record meter input to a device which the out chan has looped back to.

Or... you can simply record just the reverb return and place it on a track... then you can do the build mix with the hardware unpatched.

Bob L

Dave Labrecque
01-16-2012, 11:48 AM
With a hardware reverb there is no way to use the buildmix operation directly since the hardware has to have signal played thru it... you can patch it in the aux send returns, but the faster than realtime build mix is no longer possible...

But... you can playback live and loop a cable from the out device back to a stereo in device and record the mix on a blank track in the same MT on the same machine... in other words the SAW acts as the MultiTrack playback and the two track record device all at the same time.

Use the SRP for playback and assign the record meter input to a device which the out chan has looped back to.

Or... you can simply record just the reverb return and place it on a track... then you can do the build mix with the hardware unpatched.

Bob L

Thanks for your sober reply, Bob. I don't know what I was thinking. I've been doing some VSTi builds lately; looks like I got confused. :o

Sorry, BuzzJoe.

buzzjoe
01-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Thanks Bob for your fast response! Thats exactly what I need to know :-)

Naturally Digital
01-17-2012, 05:27 AM
Or... you can simply record just the reverb return and place it on a track... then you can do the build mix with the hardware unpatched.This is what I like to do. Makes it quick in case you need to adjust the verb level after the fact.