PDA

View Full Version : pc win7 32/64bit?!?!?!?little help.

martiaudio
01-30-2012, 03:08 AM
My 1394 FireWire driver don't seem to work on my HP elite 8000 E8400 which stop me from even installing any RME drivers..

Unless I am stupid. I feel I should probably try to understand some basics with Win7.

How do I know if win7 is install on 32 or 64bit? How it is relevant for my drivers?

I guess if I install SAC+SAW on 64 (i don't even know if I can do that!), I need 64bit plug ins only.. but do I need to care about anything else.

I guess it is easy to stick with 32bit. but what do I really need to be careful with in this case?

Same when I will install permanent RayDAT.. it is relevant if am on 32 or 64bits..I would have thought that it is hardware trouble free.. but with Microsoft...:mad::mad::mad:

Bob L
01-30-2012, 04:42 AM
One of my biggest recommendations is Win XP 32 bit for a much smoother SAC experience.

Bob L

martiaudio
01-30-2012, 05:08 AM
One of my biggest recommendations is Win XP 32 bit for a much smoother SAC experience.

Bob L

does it matter what service pack? I am short of option I don,t have xp, but i have win 7 on my desktop and macbook pro installed with no copy on disk!
perhaps I can get hold of a xp sp2..thank you for you input.

905shmick
01-30-2012, 06:36 AM
My 1394 FireWire driver don't seem to work on my HP elite 8000 E8400 which stop me from even installing any RME drivers..

Unless I am stupid. I feel I should probably try to understand some basics with Win7.

How do I know if win7 is install on 32 or 64bit? How it is relevant for my drivers?

I guess if I install SAC+SAW on 64 (i don't even know if I can do that!), I need 64bit plug ins only.. but do I need to care about anything else.

I guess it is easy to stick with 32bit. but what do I really need to be careful with in this case?

Same when I will install permanent RayDAT.. it is relevant if am on 32 or 64bits..I would have thought that it is hardware trouble free.. but with Microsoft...:mad::mad::mad:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions#

The RME drivers for the RayDAT are 32/64bit and will automatically install the right version.

You don't need 64bit only plugins to run on a Win7 64bit. You can still run 32bit plugins and apps. For the most part, it's the system drivers that need to be the right version, everything else will be 32bit compatible.

martiaudio
01-30-2012, 07:54 AM
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/32-bit-and-64-bit-Windows-frequently-asked-questions#

The RME drivers for the RayDAT are 32/64bit and will automatically install the right version.

You don't need 64bit only plugins to run on a Win7 64bit. You can still run 32bit plugins and apps. For the most part, it's the system drivers that need to be the right version, everything else will be 32bit compatible.

thanks for that.. i finally sorted my driver problem with try and re try and ... hit and miss.. i love the lack of logic.. thanks anyway.. i might come back to xp.. i know it a little better.

gdougherty
01-30-2012, 09:10 AM
Just make sure you can get drivers for all your hardware under XP. May be better with Win 7 on some systems.

It's very odd that you had problems with FireWire drivers. I have yet to see FireWire hardware that didn't load up the default windows drivers and at least work at some level unless it was bad hardware. What FireWire hardware are you using? Onboard, reputable add-on card? What's the chipset stamped on the hardware if you can find it?

sebastiandybing
02-01-2012, 01:29 AM
My experience is if the comp come with
win7 pre install, its almost impossible to
install xp afterwards.
My teori is that microsoft and most laptop
companies has made an agrement on
win7 only, and on my 2 newer laptops
xp already fail install at startup.
There are some comp. guys at this forum who seems
to be able to do it. But its not a easy task.

I think we have to hope win7 will mature fast,
win8 is the next problem comming very soon.

Sebastian

905shmick
02-01-2012, 06:23 AM
My experience is if the comp come with
win7 pre install, its almost impossible to
install xp afterwards.
My teori is that microsoft and most laptop
companies has made an agrement on
win7 only, and on my 2 newer laptops
xp already fail install at startup.
There are some comp. guys at this forum who seems
to be able to do it. But its not a easy task.

I think we have to hope win7 will mature fast,
win8 is the next problem comming very soon.

Sebastian

Newer laptops and computers are using hardware that requires newer drivers. Those drivers simply don't exist in XP. XP SP3 was released almost 4 years ago. In order for XP to work on some newer computers you have to slipstream the drivers into the CD image and roll your own install CD. Win 7 is a very solid OS and Win 8 is looking to be quite good too and this is coming from a Mac guy :D

bcorkery
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
Win 8 is looking to be quite good too and this is coming from a Mac guy :DEverything is getting so blurry! Oh, wait I have a smudge on my glasses! :o

hkmorgan87
02-01-2012, 11:33 AM
When I built my sac computer. I made sure all of the hardware was xp compatible. In the case of a newer factory computer, write down all of the hardware from device manager and do a web search for relevant drivers. Usually the company that prebuilds the computer won't offer xp drivers, but the manufacturers who make the hardware will offer xp drivers.