PDA

View Full Version : new system is together..

Sound Machine Inc
02-16-2012, 09:04 PM
and with some tweaks from the last thread and people making me 2nd guess some ideas.. I am down to 40% load all channels on and saw tracking :)

Cary B. Cornett
02-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Nice looking case arrangement.
Where is the computer? In the case, or are you still hooking up cables at the gig?
How did you secure the displays to the lid?
So you have some kind of insert panel to protect the screen faces during shipment?
Was this a custom-made case or something generic, and where did you get it?

thanks

Craig Allen
02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice looking case arrangement.
Where is the computer? In the case, or are you still hooking up cables at the gig?
How did you secure the displays to the lid?
So you have some kind of insert panel to protect the screen faces during shipment?
Was this a custom-made case or something generic, and where did you get it?

thanks

+1 - this is exactly the type of thing I'm moving towards. I'd love more details on this.

soundchicken
02-17-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm seeing ethercon and powercon on the right side of the case so I'd say the the mobo is under the right side of the case.

Sound Machine Inc
02-17-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm seeing ethercon and powercon on the right side of the case so I'd say the the mobo is under the right side of the case.
correct you are Soundchicken.. actually powercon and firewire jacks.. firewire jacks connect to motu / preamp rack that goes under that case. mobo is under the black plywood with a 4.5" 100cfm exhaust fan out the back.. there is a pair of USB jacks on side for thumb drives and the like. the monitors are screwed directly through the lid into the VESA mounts (which was a huge pain in the ass).. when closed they are 1/4" above all surfaces. Also under the custom mounted x-keys is a wireless n router for remotes to connect to. so all in all only 3 cables and my system is up and ready to play. the case is a stock 76 key piano case from OSP off ebay for $269 IIRC

soundchicken
02-17-2012, 04:39 PM
how long have you been using this rig? I'd be concerned about the heat from the monitors as well as the lack of shock mounting with using the vesa mountings.

Sound Machine Inc
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
how long have you been using this rig? I'd be concerned about the heat from the monitors as well as the lack of shock mounting with using the vesa mountings.
13 shows so far (about 1600 iles in back of box truck), there is 1/4" dense foam behind the monitors that acts as a partial shock mount.. I did a "burn in" test for a whole weekend (52 hours to be exact) the cpu was at 109f and the monitors were at 87f with a laser thermometer

Andy Hamm
02-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Is there a mechanism to hold the lid open or if someone bumps the lid from behind, do you have to pull your hands out real fast? :eek:

Sound Machine Inc
02-17-2012, 05:01 PM
Is there a mechanism to hold the lid open or if someone bumps the lid from behind, do you have to pull your hands out real fast? :eek:
Andy if anyone not female and naked gets within 5' I start screamin lol.. no stay lock, but with 2 monitors and it being a 3/8" case it takes a serious knocking to close.. it opens to about 93 degrees so it sorta wants to not close

Andy Hamm
02-17-2012, 05:05 PM
Ahh, good job. You could allways wait for some other test pilot to run it to see how much of a bump it takes!:D