PDA

View Full Version : OK... How'd you do it?

Carl G.
02-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Dave - MM, others...
So... how did you finally get 1920x1080 MOV's to play in SawStudio
***WITHOUT*** conversion??

Someone just sent me near TWO TERABYTES of audio for editing ...
and I don't have the time for 'conversions'.

So, what's the trick for:
1. Getting MOV 1920x1080 (see info below) to play in SS (I don't care what size... so long as I can see some reference video with a good audio render to audio track).

2. If #1 is not possible - what's the quickest trick to getting the audio into the MT for editing?

Video /Audio info below:
General
Complete name : U:\video3124.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 16.3 MiB
Duration : 13s 973ms
Overall bit rate : 9 772 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf52.32.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format set, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 12s 666ms
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 10.6 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.170
Stream size : 16.0 MiB (98%)
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate : 185 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 315 KiB (2%)

MMP
02-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry...I always convert to AVI. It has just has been a more solid work flow for me.

Regards,

MM

Carl G.
02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Sorry...I always convert to AVI. It has just has been a more solid work flow for me.

Regards,

MM

My second thought is to do one of the 2 below, while live recording just the audio clips I need in SawStudio:

1. Playback through Media Player Classic - Problem is: It plays AUDIO ONLY*!!!

2. Playback through VLC - Problem is: It plays VIDEO ONLY*!!

*despite all adjustments I see of associations and parameters between the two.

Any ideas?

Converting these files would take about 35 hours - not an option.

Soundguy
02-17-2012, 05:40 PM
You're not going to want to hear this, but download a demo of the popular DAW that uses a Quicktime viewer in normal operation . MOV is a quicktime format.

It's quick and easy.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
02-17-2012, 05:41 PM
Dave - MM, others...
So... how did you finally get 1920x1080 MOV's to play in SawStudio
***WITHOUT*** conversion??

Someone just sent me near TWO TERABYTES of audio for editing ...
and I don't have the time for 'conversions'.

So, what's the trick for:
1. Getting MOV 1920x1080 (see info below) to play in SS (I don't care what size... so long as I can see some reference video with a good audio render to audio track).

2. If #1 is not possible - what's the quickest trick to getting the audio into the MT for editing?

Video /Audio info below:
General
Complete name : U:\video3124.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom
File size : 16.3 MiB
Overall bit rate : 9 772 Kbps
Writing application : Lavf52.32.0

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : Baseline@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : No
Format set, ReFrames : 1 frame
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Duration : 12s 666ms
Bit rate : 10.6 Mbps
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.170
Stream size : 16.0 MiB (98%)

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
Format version : Version 4
Format profile : LC
Format settings, SBR : No
Codec ID : 40
Bit rate : 185 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Stream size : 315 KiB (2%)

Carl -- I always convert to AVI, too. My understanding is that MOV's will/won't play in SAW depending on the specific codec being used. MOV is a wrapper for all kinds of different video types. But, if you really don't have time to convert, here are some options:

Sound Forge -- usually opens MOV's, I think, and then it's an easy matter to copy/paste the audio into a new WAV file.

Vegas -- same as above. Maybe better.

QuickTime Pro -- will play MOV's and their audio. Will allow easy audio extraction via the 'export' function or maybe 'save as...'.

You could also use that industry-standard audio multi-track DAW. It plays QuickTimes natively.

Are you sure just the video you would need to convert would take you 35 hours? I think a 20 GB MOV used to take about an hour on my 3 GHz P4 system.

What, exactly, do you need to do with all this audio? Is it just stereo audio? Or multiple tracks for each video?

Bob L
02-17-2012, 07:53 PM
If you can find the proper codec for MOV file playback in Windows DirectShow... it should open and play... how good it seeks is another story.

I still recommend what we are doing now for all the Legends shows all over the world... use PavTube Video Converter to open and convert to the HD AVI format (xVid)... they playback and seek great and render to the extended monitor in full HD quality... www.PavTube.com (http://www.PavTube.com)

Bob L

Carl G.
02-18-2012, 04:49 AM
If you can find the proper codec for MOV file playback in Windows DirectShow... it should open and play... how good it seeks is another story.

I still recommend what we are doing now for all the Legends shows all over the world... use PavTube Video Converter to open and convert to the HD AVI format (xVid)... they playback and seek great and render to the extended monitor in full HD quality... www.PavTube.com (http://www.PavTube.com)

Bob L
If I can just see/hear live (But can't find right MOV codec for playback in Windows Direct Show).
.. to grab short excerpts for editing in SawStudio - THAT'S all I need to do.

I've downloaded PavTube demo - am impressed. Will get.
But it's a no go for this project - because I don't have time or space for ALL AVI conversions before I can even begin editing.

Can someone point to the 'right codec' for type files mentioned in my post?

Carl G.
02-18-2012, 05:18 AM
Sound Forge -- usually opens MOV's, I think, and then it's an easy matter to copy/paste the audio into a new WAV file.
Both (free) Media Player and SF are good avenues for live playback But Audio Only.

Vegas -- same as above. Maybe better.
I wish... but Vegas Pro7 (old) 7 Crashes each time I try to open these files!

QuickTime Pro -- will play MOV's and their audio. Will allow easy audio extraction via the 'export' function or maybe 'save as...'.
I refuse to load Quicktime Pro - it trashed my low level Windows hooks - programs have no business messing with that.

I call that "THE FLAW DAW"! :)
It took them decades to include even just a few key features that SAWPlus, SAWPro, and SawStudio had all along! Plus they charged repeatedly for "Upgrades to Nowhere"! (that is way OT for this thread though so I'll drop it here)

[QUOTE=Dave Labrecque;178024]What, exactly, do you need to do with all this audio? Is it just stereo audio? Or multiple tracks for each video?
Going through 6 terabytes of Video (with audio) of interviews and action scenes to pull a series of excerpts for commercials/web use throughout the year. The reason I need to see the video (with the audio) is for obvious 'best pick' editing reasons - for getting the combination of best audio takes - which are also the best video takes. Hence... all I need to do is grab the sections I can quickly view... then record the audio live (or convert just those 'clips'). The end results (of various interviews) will probably be a very tiny portion of the original 6 terabytes.

sebastiandybing
02-18-2012, 05:22 AM
Maybe this free codec will work http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ffdshow.htm

I have not tested it at all and don't know if
it will work or not.

Sebastian

Carl G.
02-18-2012, 05:26 AM
Maybe this free codec will work http://www.free-codecs.com/download/ffdshow.htm

I have not tested it at all and don't know if
it will work or not.

Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian, I had that loaded already.
But... not the latest version - then I'll need to recheck which Codecs I have it selected to use (hopefully the new selection will include what I need).
I'll check it out (again).

Bob L
02-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Carl... Pavtube will let you play the files and then mark begin and end points and convert and extract only those portions...

Bob L

Soundguy
02-18-2012, 10:01 AM
I refuse to load Quicktime Pro - it trashed my low level Windows hooks - programs have no business messing with that.

It works fine everywhere, including here. Apparently the .mov format is also the choice of your client.

I call that "THE FLAW DAW"! :)
It took them decades to include even just a few key features that SAWPlus, SAWPro, and SawStudio had all along! It also has dozens of features still not available n SAW, including the one you need today ... and dozens more used everyday by thousands in post production and music production.

Not sure what your resistance is to downloading a free demo to get the job done, especially when it enables you to use your client's format without burdensome and time consuming converstion. It really is easy as pie.

There is nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job instead of forcing the issue when it's not coming easy.

Soundguy

Carl G.
02-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Carl... Pavtube will let you play the files and then mark begin and end points and convert and extract only those portions...

Bob L

WOOOOOOWEEEEE! I missed that.
Thanks, Bob

Dave Labrecque
02-18-2012, 10:10 PM
WOOOOOOWEEEEE! I missed that.
Thanks, Bob

I think you can do that in quicktime pro and sound forge, too, FWIW.

Carl G.
02-18-2012, 11:55 PM
I think you can do that in quicktime pro and sound forge, too, FWIW.

hmmm.. not in SF9.
(& trying to avoid Quicktime Pro stand alone)

Pavtube seems the best value as the swiss army knife of future conversions with live previews.

richard fellini
02-19-2012, 01:59 AM
I'm currently trying out the saw studio basic demo - problems: I'm using a presonus usb extrenal sound card with 2 mono imputs / imput 1 microphone & Imput 2 Instrument.

I using imput 1 (microphone) and recording into saw studio basic but I cannot get it to play back stereo, it is only playing back mono - not very technically minded - can one of you kind persons please assist.

Many thanks
richard

Bob L
02-19-2012, 03:40 AM
Richard,

When you arm the track for recording and the meter is onscreen, click in the Input zone on the meter and make sure to select the MONO input choice and then select Dev 1. This will create a mono, instead of stereo recording with only one chan. Then the track will playback in mono on both the left and right side.

Bob L