PDA

View Full Version : Doing the tidy up

Teddy Hallaron
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM
burning a bunch of stems for a surround mix (going to another facility).
just doing a couple of tracks, such as ADR is taking forever. Should I do something like Remove Silence or is there some other way to clean up the tracks to speed up the process when building to new mixes for stems?

Bob L
02-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Just select the tracks that are in the stem by clicking the track number and turning it black... that removes all other tracks from the engine loop... so instead of playing back lots of tracks that are muted or somehow removed from the stem... you only playback the few tracks that are part of the stem and the build mix should zip right along.

Bob L

UpTilDawn
02-27-2012, 09:14 PM
You might also make sure you don't have a region tucked in waaaay down the timeline somewhere that's causing the buildmix to be really long. Maybe try using a marked area to define the start and end time of the tracks to be mixed.... Just a shot in the dark. Hope it helps.

Teddy Hallaron
02-27-2012, 09:33 PM
thanks Bob, I'll give that a try. I was thinking about just creating new edls for stem assignments, but your groovy trick will accomplish the same thing, just slicker (of course)

@Up Till Dawn, I have to burn the whole track to keep them in sync, for instance: a Rear Only FX track may only have a few things on it but its scattered all througout the mix, so I need them all from start to finish. Thanks for the input

Teddy Hallaron
02-27-2012, 09:43 PM
BOB!!!
That is so cool, I thought I was going to be up for days. I'm doing about 20 stems to throw around in the surround mix. Of course the lion's share was dialog (already done), but this technique is a lifesaver in time.

Thanks a million

UpTilDawn
02-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Up Till Dawn, I have to burn the whole track to keep them in sync, for instance: a Rear Only FX track may only have a few things on it but its scattered all througout the mix, so I need them all from start to finish. Thanks for the input

Actually I was thinking in terms of using a marked area to define the entire length of the necessary session, but nothing more than that at the far end to keep the build mix from looking farther than it needed to... the marked time includes zero start time for the sake of syncing stems, naturally.

Glad you got it worked out anyway. :)