PDA

View Full Version : Parallel Mixing

Hava_wj
03-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Hello:

Background/Reference: YouTube video of Pro-Tools used to make more bass saturation using parallel processing. Basincally, one track is "sent" to another track having compression and EQ; two tracks are then mixed together.

Problem: Sawstudio track outputs are sent to devices or audio card. My audio card has only one stereo pair output channel. Devices don't seem to work. I use the Aux Sends to send one track contents for subsequent processing, but it does not have the EQ, nor compression capability of the track mixers in the MT. Only plugins. Want to route the Aux return to another track mixer with EQ, and Compression. Don't want to use plugins.

Question: How can one send output of one track to another track mixer for parallel processing in Sawstudio?

ivanoff
03-05-2012, 01:24 PM
take output 2 (or another ) as a subgroup (fader became lite red ), asgn output 2 to output 1 the main output. Make two input channels, one without effects, another with effects, asgn them to output 2...

CurtZHP
03-05-2012, 02:15 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you....

Make a copy of the audio and put it on an open track. Compress and EQ the snot out of it, and mix it with the original.

Is that what you're after?

Dave Labrecque
03-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Unless I'm misunderstanding you....

Make a copy of the audio and put it on an open track. Compress and EQ the snot out of it, and mix it with the original.

Is that what you're after?

That's probably the simplest way. No need to involve 'subgroup' (output) channels.

You could also use the JMS Aux Send/Return plugin to send a track to another track and do the processing there.

Yura
03-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Want to route the Aux return to another track mixer with EQ, and Compression. Don't want to use plugins.

Can you explain me why you don't want to use plugins?

Hava_wj
03-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Hello: I will try the subgroup method.

I've used the clone track method, but the present workaround I use sends an output to Aux, but Aux returns have no EQ nor Compressor. The actual setup I use is to send track via Aux a signal into a plugin Reverb, then I want to control the EQ, and compression of the wet Reverb. Aux return does not have EQ, nor Compression. Reason: Simple Reverb plug does not have these features.

Reason why [I don't want to use plugin] is because I prefer the SS EQ and Compressor because they work so great with very little CPU time. The SS FX seem to be very efficient and reliable.

Hava_wj
03-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Hello Dave L: Thanks, I have high hopes for the JMS plug. Will try out and see what happens. So far it looks good on paper.

Bob L
03-06-2012, 11:09 AM
The returns have patch points for plugins... you can EQ and Compress all you want in the returns or subgroup outs.

Bob L

Ian Alexander
03-06-2012, 12:58 PM
The returns have patch points for plugins... you can EQ and Compress all you want in the returns or subgroup outs.

Bob L
He likes the low CPU usage, and perhaps the price, of the track EQ and Comp.

Bob L
03-06-2012, 01:00 PM
And my Eq plugin and Levelizer are virtually the same algorithms with the same sound quality and performance.

Bob L

Yura
03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
And my Eq plugin and Levelizer are virtually the same algorithms with the same sound quality and performance.

Bob L

I checked that very deeply with the phase inversion method - no difference

Ian Alexander
03-06-2012, 03:12 PM

Bob L
Indeed. I often use both and the results are excellent. The Levelizer, however, is not included in SS. It's not terribly expensive, but the track comp is free.

Hava_wj
03-06-2012, 04:00 PM
Roger the SS native plugs. Sounds like the most straight forward solution. Thanks everyone, issue resolved. :)