PDA

View Full Version : waves 9 out

Dan Fulton
03-20-2012, 07:55 AM
the new waves 9 is out .... it is 64bit and no iloc

i wonder how much a hitch a 64 bit plugin would cause in sac

Peter O
03-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I've just spend a couple of hours testing ver. 9 of the Waves De-esser, IR-L, TrueVerb and C1. I have had no problems with them on my XP machine.

The new licensing system also seems to work nicely - iLok free :-)

Best regards Peter O.

Dan Fulton
03-20-2012, 06:46 PM
very cool good to know thanks peter

dbarrow
03-21-2012, 12:47 PM
I've just spend a couple of hours testing ver. 9 of the Waves De-esser, IR-L, TrueVerb and C1. I have had no problems with them on my XP machine.

The new licensing system also seems to work nicely - iLok free :-)

Best regards Peter O.Is your XP machine a 32bit version? The Waves plugs run on 32 still, and these are the no-latency plugs in SAC?

Peter O
03-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Is your XP machine a 32bit version? The Waves plugs run on 32 still, and these are the no-latency plugs in SAC?

Yes, 32bit XP. The plugs I tested have zero latency (and works in SAC). There are other zero lantecy plugs from Waves: http://www.wavesupport.net/content.aspx?id=2213.

Right now the 'Native Power Pack' is on sale: 225$. Most of the plugs in the Native Power Pack works in SAC and I think that good value for money, AND the iLok is gone :-)

Best regards Peter O.

sebastiandybing
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Hi Peter, what safety system do they then
use?
Can it be install on 2 machines?

Thanks
Sebastian

Peter O
03-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Hi Peter, what safety system do they then
use?
Can it be install on 2 machines?

Thanks
Sebastian

You basically assign the rights to a device (computer or flash drive) using a small program. The rights can be moved from device to device and retrieved from lost/stolen/broken devices.
One license only allows you to assign the rights to one device at a time, so you're not allowed to install it on two machines. If one of the machines newer gets connected to the Internet, I suspect you could get away with it though...

Best regards, Peter O

dbarrow
03-22-2012, 12:05 PM
You basically assign the rights to a device (computer or flash drive) using a small program. The rights can be moved from device to device and retrieved from lost/stolen/broken devices.
One license only allows you to assign the rights to one device at a time, so you're not allowed to install it on two machines. If one of the machines newer gets connected to the Internet, I suspect you could get away with it though...

Best regards, Peter OSo, the individual license relies on connecting to the internet? Since you have to have two instances of the plugin, one host, one remote, for remote control in SAC, perhaps a simple free firewall, like Comododo, could keep one of them from ever getting online. My netbook, for instance, is usually only on the local SAC network, but I do connect it from time to time to get updates, etc.

gdougherty
03-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Which is my first question. How does a plugin like this work in SACRemote on a second machine for remote control?

Peter O
03-26-2012, 07:43 AM
So, the individual license relies on connecting to the internet? Since you have to have two instances of the plugin, one host, one remote, for remote control in SAC, perhaps a simple free firewall, like Comododo, could keep one of them from ever getting online. My netbook, for instance, is usually only on the local SAC network, but I do connect it from time to time to get updates, etc.

You'll need to connect to the Internet to assign the rights to a device (HD or usb drive), after that the device doesn't have to be 'connected' to the Internet when you use the plugs.

I only use the remote for 'walking the floor' style system tuning, ringing out monitors, and minor monitor level changes, so I don't need the Waves plug to work on the remote.

If you do any actual mixing on a remote you should definitely stay away from the Waves plugs because you will have to buy separate licenses for both host and remote machines :(

Best regards, Peter O

kabelwalter
01-01-2013, 02:51 PM
I stick to this thread. I found crash problmes with Waves 9.0 and SAC/SAW.
Because of the latest years-end special offer I bought the Q10 and SuperTap Waves Plugins, both are fine as they have 0 samples lantecy. For trial I also installed the SSLEQ and SSLComp with a 7 days license.
I was only able to get them with a 9.0 licence. For this I installed additionally to Wave 8.0 also the 9.0 Software. With shell2vst I was able to extract the dll's.
The 9.0 licences I put onto a USB-Stick.
Some other Waves Plugins as DeEsser, LoAir and VocalRider are running still with the 8.0 licence and an iLok.
SAC is 3.0. Win XP Pro SP3 with latest updates.

Loading the 9.0 plugins as usual and control is as usual. But after closing the plugin window and reopen it the first time the window opens but without showing the plugin. Closing the window again and reopen it a second time crashes SAC immediately :cool:
BTW: With SAW Studio 5.1 I found he same behavior.

Any hints for troubleshooting are welcome.
Thank you
Walter

Bob L
01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
So it would seem that something is not compatible with the plugin closing.

What happens if you use the plugin the first time and save the session with the plugs in and opened onscreen.

If you exit SAW and then start again and open the session do the plugins load and work correctly... if so... what then happens if you close the session and then re-open the same session a second time... does it crash?

Bob L

Wurst Werner
01-02-2013, 02:15 AM
I stick to this thread. I found crash problmes with Waves 9.0 and SAC/SAW.
Because of the latest years-end special offer I bought the Q10 and SuperTap Waves Plugins, both are fine as they have 0 samples lantecy. For trial I also installed the SSLEQ and SSLComp with a 7 days license.
I was only able to get them with a 9.0 licence. For this I installed additionally to Wave 8.0 also the 9.0 Software. With shell2vst I was able to extract the dll's.
The 9.0 licences I put onto a USB-Stick.
Some other Waves Plugins as DeEsser, LoAir and VocalRider are running still with the 8.0 licence and an iLok.
SAC is 3.0. Win XP Pro SP3 with latest updates.

Loading the 9.0 plugins as usual and control is as usual. But after closing the plugin window and reopen it the first time the window opens but without showing the plugin. Closing the window again and reopen it a second time crashes SAC immediately :cool:
BTW: With SAW Studio 5.1 I found he same behavior.

Any hints for troubleshooting are welcome.
Thank you
Walter

Hi Walter,

this is sadly a common issue with Wave plugins. Just type "waves plugins redraw issue" into google, and you will see, that nearly every DAW has to deal with it from time to time. There seems no real solution, sometimes a clean install of the Wave plugins helps. This issue occurs often, when upgrading from an old Waves install. F.e. Waves 7 to 8 , or 8-9. So maybe uninstall your Wave Plugins and also clean the registry from Waves folder, than reinstall them.
I had this problem on my Asus Laptop as well. I had to update my videocard driver to the latest version, than it worked.

Keep my fingers crossed.
Christian

kabelwalter
01-20-2013, 02:52 PM
After tech support from Waves and also from Bob L. I found that Waves9 need a Windows 7/8. With XP such problems can occur. I was not able to solve the window re-opening issue on XP.

Walter

Bob L
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
But you did get it working ok on Win 8?

Bob L

Adam Christopher
01-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a few questions for Walter and Peter and anyone else who can chime in.

I had Waves 8 on Ilok and found it to be stable and then when I upgraded to the first Waves 9 version that came out in May, it was unstable. Then my computer died and I never reinstalled Waves again. I'm looking to reinstall Waves on my new computer and am unsure what to do and even more I'm unsure of what I can do. This WUP policy frankly makes me feel a bit queezy based on what I've heard. I've heard everything from you can't ever reinstall Waves plugins on a new computer with Waves 9 without buying the update plan to it only applies to a later version of Waves than the one you last used.

Can I still use Waves 9 on my new computer without paying these crazy fees? I bought Waves plugins at the beginning of 2012 so I was eligible to upgrade the first version of Waves 9 in May and I did. But now I'm worried I won't be able to do it. If that is the case, maybe I need to go back Waves 8.

Also, aside from the licensing system is there any real benefit to Waves 9? I hate Ilok but some of my new plugins or Ilok so I'll probably be using it anyways. I always found Waves 8 plugins to load much faster than 9 and was more stable. Not sure if this redraw thing contributed to my problems with V9.

Sorry about the long post but I have multiple issues with the Waves stuff and you guys seem really knowledgeable and helpful.

kabelwalter
01-31-2013, 12:59 AM
Adam,

I've installed parallel Waves V8 (withe the iLok dongle) and Waves V9 (with the USB Stick dongle) on Windows 8 x64. Both are working fine now, expect my fight against lost buffer issues and audible clicks when switching the F-views. But this is another subject ref. to Windows 8.
When installing Waves V9 you have to click NO, when you are asked to update/upgrade your Waves V8 licences. Thats all.

Walter

Adam Christopher
01-31-2013, 06:39 PM
Adam,

I've installed parallel Waves V8 (withe the iLok dongle) and Waves V9 (with the USB Stick dongle) on Windows 8 x64. Both are working fine now, expect my fight against lost buffer issues and audible clicks when switching the F-views. But this is another subject ref. to Windows 8.
When installing Waves V9 you have to click NO, when you are asked to update/upgrade your Waves V8 licences. Thats all.

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks so much for responding. I ended up installing Waves 8 again. I'm not a huge fan of Ilok but I am using enough Ilok plugins now that I'm tied to it anyways. I didn't feel like dealing with the license center for 9. This is very helpful to know that they can coexist and that I should still be able to use V9 in spite of their WUP program.