PDA

View Full Version : Problem with MWS and Midi Interface

Lance
03-02-2005, 07:45 PM
Bob;

I have a situation where my midi input is seen by MWS but not by a VSTi plugin.

First, when I put a track in MWS into record with midi thru, then enable live mode via a right click on the play button, the associated VSTi plays as it should. I am also able to record midi data to the track.

However, when I then go to the VSTi itself and click on the blue triange to bring up the "Set Soft Synth Midi-In Port", then select the hardware midi-in, I get a message "Midi Device in Driver is Currently not Available".

After I unselect this and put the VSTi back to the MWS Virtual Port, I am again able to play it using the first configuration... using the midi-thru.

Why would this occur? Any ideas?

Thanks.

Lance

Bob L
03-02-2005, 08:10 PM
If you have the physical midi port assigned in the Mid Workshop as a port option, then the plugin itself cannot also open the same midi port... most midi drivers are not multi-client.

You have a choice... make sure the physical midi port is not assigned in the MWS device assignments, or use it that way thru the MWS which is the way you really want to use it for the power that it offers and flexibility to record the midi data directly and edit it.

If you want to play live thru the plugin without the MWS, just get the MWS gone... or definitely free up the hardware device assignments.

Bob L

Lance
03-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Understood.

I ended up adopting this method.

Thanks.

Lance