PDA

View Full Version : SAW is still around??? Awesome!!!!

chip rauth
03-29-2012, 09:46 PM
Can't believe I stumbled across this. I thought SAW was long gone!
Bob, I am still using SAW Pro 2.7 and have edited literally thousands of competitive dance and figure skating edits on it!!

I even have it running on a 6 core AMD system with Win 7 32 bit.
Only problems are the live clock doesn't update and the biggest issue would be variable speed display doesn't work. So yes I mostly still use it on an XP Pro system where it works great! As an old assembly bit banger myself it truly is amazing how well your code has ported over the years.

Sooo.... the info says SAW studio is XP compatible. Is it actually running on Win 7 and info just out of date?

Any chances my zillions of .EDL files would still work on it??? Or could be converted?? If not, I could still upgrade for new projects and keep 2.7 on the XP for any old mod's to be made.

Thanks for any info!!
Chip Rauth

Dave Labrecque
03-29-2012, 10:47 PM
Any chances my zillions of .EDL files would still work on it??? Or could be converted??

Hey, Chip! SAWStudio will import EDL's going all the way back to the "SAW Plus 32 Family", meaning yes to the question of SAW Pro. I seem to recall that there are some limitations on what will actually import. Let's have a look at the Help file...

Import EditList File (SAWPlus32 Family, SAWPro)

This option imports an edl file from earlier 32-bit versions of SAW. Region, MT Entry, and mix data is translated.
Well, that doesn't sound too bad. Of course, any plugins and their settings, it appears, would be lost.

What do you think about that?

You might do a search on the forum, too, to see what kinds of issues have come up when importing old EDL's into SAWStudio.

Good luck!

Ian Alexander
03-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Quite a few users run SS on Win 7 everyday. It seems best using XP compatibility mode, which is easy to set up. It's very solid for me. Might help the issues in SawPro, too. IIRC, it's found by right-clicking on the program's desktop icon.

Dave Labrecque
03-30-2012, 11:56 AM
Quite a few users run SS on Win 7 everyday. It seems best using XP compatibility mode, which is easy to set up. It's very solid for me. Might help the issues in SawPro, too. IIRC, it's found by right-clicking on the program's desktop icon.

Agreed. Very solid here on Win7 64-bit. In addition to XP SP2 or SP3 compatibility mode, you would want to turn off the Aero interface feature as well as set border padding for windows to zero. These and other Win7 tweaks for SAW and SAC are available here:

http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads/windows_7_tweaks.zip

chip rauth
03-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Thank you for all of the input and ideas!!
chip

Arco
03-30-2012, 05:58 PM
SawPro is the "Madmen" of the SAW timeline...cool times, but whoa, SAW studio is such a different animal!

Perry
03-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Start using SAWStudio and in short order you will likely ONLY be using SAWStudio! For sure. :)

Many of us here have had every version of Saw since the beginning (more or less) but the latest and greatest, SAWStudio... is truly amazing!

Richard Rupert
03-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Start using SAWStudio and in short order you will likely ONLY be using SAWStudio! For sure. :)

Many of us here have had every version of Saw since the beginning (more or less) but the latest and greatest, SAWStudio... is truly amazing!
+1000! :):)

Tim Miskimon
03-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Chip,
You should down load the demo version of Sawstudio and try it out.
I've been using Saw since 1994 and the latest version is the best yet.
It took a while for me to grasp the changes from SawPro to Sawstudio but within a week It was as though I'd been using SawStudio from the beginning.
I still have Sawpro on my studio machine for a few things like "cut marked from sound file" which Bob never included in SawStudio - other than that SawPro never gets used these days.

StefanL
04-03-2012, 01:56 AM
SAWStudio will import EDL's going all the way back to the "SAW Plus 32 Family", meaning yes to the question of SAW Pro. I seem to recall that there are some limitations on what will actually import. Let's have a look at the Help file...
Import EditList File (SAWPlus32 Family, SAWPro)

This option imports an edl file from earlier 32-bit versions of SAW. Region, MT Entry, and mix data is translated.
!

I actually converted some 10+ years old material from SAWPlus to SawStudio over the weekend. Turns out Sawstudio does not import directly from SAWPlus - you have to open the edl's in SAWPro first and re-save them there before Sawstudio will accept the file format.

MikeDee
04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I actually converted some 10+ years old material from SAWPlus to SawStudio over the weekend. Turns out Sawstudio does not import directly from SAWPlus - you have to open the edl's in SAWPro first and re-save them there before Sawstudio will accept the file format.
Makes sense, as SAWPlus is 16-bit, whereas SAWPlus32 (as its name implies) and all later versions are 32-bit.

Pretty c***248;***248;l to have backward compatibility (even if indirect) from the latest & greatest - SAWStudio - all the way back to 16-bit SAWPlus! :cool:

Soundguy
04-03-2012, 10:02 AM
Pretty cøøl to have backward compatibility (even if indirect) from the latest & greatest - SAWStudio - all the way back to 16-bit SAWPlus! :cool:

I think it's a stretch to say that something is backward compatible when a third piece of software and two conversions are required to get a file to open.

Soundguy

MikeDee
04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
I think it's a stretch to say that something is backward compatible when a third piece of software and two conversions are required to get a file to open.

Soundguy
I would tend to agree; however, SAWStudio, being a complete rewrite, is a completely different architecture from SAWPro and previous incarnations. And when we factor in a 16-bit app, such as SAWPlus - even while in the same DAW family - there are bound to be incompatibilities resulting from the differing OS subsystems (16-bit vs. 32-bit).

In this case, I see no issue with the extra (interim) conversion to get from SAWPlus to SAWStudio. Then again...I've never had to do this...so no issue! :p Seriously, though, at this stage in the game, I would not expect Bob to divert his attention to coding backward compatibility with SAWPlus, since:

1. There already is a conversion path from SAWPlus to SAWStudio (albeit requiring the aforementioned interim conversion); and, more importantly*,
2. Bob's time is better spent on newer enhancements to both SAWStudio and SAC.

*More importantly to me, a loyal, paying customer, who uses both SAWStudio and SAC and looks forward to the enhancements on which Bob is working at present...no distractions, please. :D

Soundguy
04-03-2012, 01:00 PM
I agree with just about everything you said.

SawStudio is NOT backward compatible to SawPlus.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
04-03-2012, 01:02 PM

Soundguy

Party pooper.

Dave Labrecque
04-03-2012, 01:05 PM

Soundguy

What's the big deal? Are you really that hung up on the semantics?

The bottom line is that it's relatively painless to open up very old projects from long-gone programs (as far back as or perhaps even further back than SAW Plus) in SAWStudio. What's not to like?

MikeDee
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM

Soundguy
Correct (technically)!

The OP will have to cross the bridge (SAWPro) to reach his destination...hopefully, he's willing to pay the toll. :D

Richard Rupert
04-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Correct (technically)!

The OP will have to cross the bridge (SAWPro) to reach his destination...hopefully, he's willing to pay the toll. :D
But the OP is already using SawPro... so, no "toll". His edls should import directly into SAWStudio. ;) :)

StefanL
04-03-2012, 03:09 PM

ctrl-O, select edl, ctrl-S in SAWPro - that's it. Not much of a toll :)

Dave Labrecque
04-03-2012, 04:20 PM
ctrl-O, select edl, ctrl-S in SAWPro - that's it. Not much of a toll :)

Didn't you ever see the Jetsons episode where George is complaining from his office to his wife on the phone that his poor button-pushing finger is killing him? :p

I always remember back to that and think how funny it is that the writers at the time (the '60s) were predicting, probably unwittingly, very real maladies that were to accompany our technological/ergonomic advances -- like carpel tunnel syndrome. (Sorta.)

Fulvio fullcode Politi
04-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Anywawy in the bradcast facilities where I work, we still make use of old sawpro
to prepare inserts for the news :) ...it still prove to be really stable and fast and has destructive editing on the sound file that I found really cool! :cool: