PDA

View Full Version : OT: Neil Young Trademarks New Audio Format

William Bushnell
04-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I wonder where this is going. Link from Pro AV Today.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ormat-20120403

Dave Labrecque
04-05-2012, 10:13 AM
I wonder where this is going. Link from Pro AV Today.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ormat-20120403

404 - Page cannot be found :confused:

Jim J
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Try this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-trademarks-new-audio-format-20120403

Tim Miskimon
04-05-2012, 05:55 PM
I don't understand what the problem is.
I have a 16 GB Sony media player and I load 44.1 - 16 bit wave files on it.
I have my whole Beatles collection on it - not MP3s - straight off the CD.
I also have a Korg DSD player and recorder with a 40 gb hard drive.
It's not very big and sounds great.
So the technology has been available for years.
I don't understand what Neil Young is filing for trademarks on other than some new names for an already available technology.

RBIngraham
04-05-2012, 08:44 PM
I don't understand what the problem is.
I have a 16 GB Sony media player and I load 44.1 - 16 bit wave files on it.
I have my whole Beatles collection on it - not MP3s - straight off the CD.
I also have a Korg DSD player and recorder with a 40 gb hard drive.
It's not very big and sounds great.
So the technology has been available for years.
I don't understand what Neil Young is filing for trademarks on other than some new names for an already available technology.

Yeah, and there are already lossless compression formats as well that don't compact things as much as a low res mp3 file, but still they can cut the file size in half and and when you do a null test against the original 44.1/16 file, you get a zero line on your DAW.

andy cross
04-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Odd quote from the article: "Young also said that he met with Apple CEO Steve Jobs before his death last fall, and that the two discussed the possibility of developing a device similar to an iPod that could store roughly 30 studio-quality albums."

Surely this already exists. It's called an iPod.

Dave Labrecque
04-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah, and there are already lossless compression formats as well that don't compact things as much as a low res mp3 file, but still they can cut the file size in half and and when you do a null test against the original 44.1/16 file, you get a zero line on your DAW.

Could that be why they're called 'lossless'? ;)

RBIngraham
04-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Could that be why they're called 'lossless'? ;)

Yeah OK, wise guy. :)

But you know as well as I, that just because some one calls it "lossless" doesn't mean it actually is. Or at least I usually err on the side of being skeptical. :cool:

Dave Labrecque
04-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah OK, wise guy. :)

But you know as well as I, that just because some one calls it "lossless" doesn't mean it actually is. Or at least I usually err on the side of being skeptical. :cool:

Hmmmm... no, I wasn't aware that some so-called lossless compression schemes were not quite what they claimed to be. I thought it was a black and white thing. :confused:

Tim Miskimon
04-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Odd quote from the article: "Young also said that he met with Apple CEO Steve Jobs before his death last fall, and that the two discussed the possibility of developing a device similar to an iPod that could store roughly 30 studio-quality albums."

Surely this already exists. It's called an iPod.

Yeah and after smoking all that stuff over the past 40 years Neil might have even talked with Steve Jobs after his death last fall....:D:)

andy cross
04-06-2012, 04:15 PM
:)

CurtZHP
04-06-2012, 05:57 PM
I'm guessing this new format won't make Neil's singing sound any better.

Dave Labrecque
04-06-2012, 10:28 PM

Man, I can deal with his voice. It's his appearance I struggle with. I saw The Last Waltz a few months back. What planet was he from, anyway? It's like he got a bad case of bed-head that somehow spread all over his person. If that makes any sense. :o

Richard Rupert
04-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Boy, you guys are tough! :)

Dave Labrecque
04-07-2012, 11:08 AM

I do feel kinda bad for feeling that way. But, alas, that's how I feel. :o

Tim Miskimon
04-07-2012, 11:49 AM

Man I love lots of Neil's songs but not his vocals.
Him, Bob Dylan, Paul Williams - great song writers but not my favorite singers - sort of gets to me like finger nails on glass...:eek:

Tim Miskimon
04-07-2012, 11:51 AM

:D:)

Soundguy
04-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Man, I can deal with his voice. It's his appearance I struggle with. I saw The Last Waltz a few months back. What planet was he from, anyway? It's like he got a bad case of bed-head that somehow spread all over his person. If that makes any sense. :o

Dude, that movie is 30+ years old. I'm surprised he has any hair left. But kudos to a man to has made music for the masses for more years than that.

I don't know about you, but I want to live with a Cinnamon Girl. I could be happy for the rest of my life with that Cinnamon Girl.

Soundguy

Dave Labrecque
04-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Dude, that movie is 30+ years old. I'm surprised he has any hair left. But kudos to a man to has made music for the masses for more years than that.

I don't know about you, but I want to live with a Cinnamon Girl. I could be happy for the rest of my life with that Cinnamon Girl.

Soundguy

Agreed on all counts.

jcgriggs
04-10-2012, 06:37 AM

There is a famous story about Elliot Roberts (Young's manager) forcing The Band to rotoscope out a large rock of cocaine conspicuously hanging from one of Mr. Young's nostrils in his sections of The Last Waltz. Robbie Robertson has referred to it as "the most expensive cocaine he ever paid for"

This perhaps throws a different light on Neil's dishevelment in that film but I have to agree - Neil looks more and more like a demented version of his father (who was a well known Canadian sports writer) who has just been rescued from a desert island every year.

Regards,
John

Cary B. Cornett
04-10-2012, 07:40 AM
...Neil looks more and more like a demented version of his father (who was a well known Canadian sports writer) who has just been rescued from a desert island every year.

Regards,
John Hey, if I had to be rescued from a desert island every year, I might look pretty demented myself :eek::rolleyes::p;)

jcgriggs
04-10-2012, 11:29 AM
You know, I looked at that sentence before I posted it but I hadn't had my coffee yet, so it seemed too much trouble to turn it into reasonable English. I figured someone would have fun with it...

Cheerz,
John