PDA

View Full Version : Best sound card for Win7?

chip rauth
04-11-2012, 01:51 PM
OK your posts have convinced me to upgrade to studio for my new win 7 system.

I'm currently using an M-Audio MobilePre USB external I/O box and it seems to work fine with the demo version of Studio. As long as I am going to make the jump, might as well clean up everything.

Who has had the best luck with compatibility and audio quality for a different interface with this software and win 7??

Only need stereo in and out since it's all production stuff and can work with either -10 or +4 lines.

Thanks!!!
chip

Bill Park
04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
how does an RME Babyface look to you?

Carl G.
04-13-2012, 06:45 AM
OK your posts have convinced me to upgrade to studio for my new win 7 system.

I'm currently using an M-Audio MobilePre USB external I/O box and it seems to work fine with the demo version of Studio. As long as I am going to make the jump, might as well clean up everything.

Who has had the best luck with compatibility and audio quality for a different interface with this software and win 7??

Only need stereo in and out since it's all production stuff and can work with either -10 or +4 lines.

Thanks!!!
chip
If quality is desired - consider a 2 channel Lynx card.

Dave Labrecque
04-13-2012, 08:05 AM
If quality is desired - consider a 2 channel Lynx card.

Checking out the Lynx site for the first time in my life... do I understand correctly that all Lynx cards are either PCI or PCI-X? No PCIe interfaces?

905shmick
04-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Checking out the Lynx site for the first time in my life... do I understand correctly that all Lynx cards are either PCI or PCI-X? No PCIe interfaces?

Looks to be that way, other than their AES16e card.

Every motherboard still has at least 1 or 2 PCI slots on them still, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Bill Park
04-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Last spring I went through the conversion from ADAT to AES (my converters already supported both...). I looked at both the Lynx and RME offerings, as well as some other choices. Eventually, after talking to users of each, some who had used both, and one fairly famous guy who has both in one machine, I settled on the RME. The usual superior drivers/software/support was the difference for me.

The Lynx PCIe AES offering comes in three flavors with increasing featuresets. Also Lynx offers additional L-cards which can add different connectivity and additional I/O to the base card. And finally, Lynx costs less. But with the views of the users of both, and my own observation of the amount of time it takes Lynx to respond to a problem and offer a solution, and my own experience with RME, I paid the extra money for the RME solution. Like all other RME products, so far it has been invisible.