PDA

View Full Version : Question about reported Plugin Latency

hclague
04-18-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi all

If i insert a plugin on an output channel or input channel and it is reporting 64 samples in the latency field when I click on the blue triangle, how many milliseconds of latency is it adding?

Thanks

Hal

Craig Allen
04-18-2012, 07:21 PM
None. If it reports anything, it's bypassed automatically.

Brent Evans
04-18-2012, 07:23 PM
None, because SAC bypasses plugs like that.

hclague
04-18-2012, 09:49 PM
So it must be allowed only on the returns then?

davidss1
04-18-2012, 10:21 PM
not at any stage in sac.
the plugin might open its gui, but it wont function

davidss1
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
what is the purpous for the plugin are u trying?
someone here might be able to recommend an alternative

hclague
04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
OK. Sorry, I need to explain further. The plugin(s) actually are working in SAC because they are UAD and running off the UAD card. Somehow this gets around the Latency "lockout" in SAC. Sooo... the original question still stands.

How many Milliseconds is 64 samples at 48k sample rate?

Hal

Wurst Werner
04-18-2012, 10:37 PM
Or load this one-->

http://www.xlutop.com/html/chainer.html

in the pre FX slot of a SAC channel and host your plugin within the chainer. The Chainer will report 0 Samples Latency to SAC, this way you can use any VST Plug with Latency in SAC. :cool:

Christian

Bob L
04-18-2012, 10:44 PM
The reported latency is not what controls the lockout... when a buffer is processed, if all the buffer samples are not returned, the plug is locked out... so... if the plugin sends zeros back for a full buffer load up until it actually starts returning data... then there will be no lockout, but the chan will be late and out of phase with the rest of the channels.

Not a particularly great thing in a live environment with mic leakage all over the place.

Bob L

hclague
04-18-2012, 10:54 PM
True. But if I were to insert say the UAD LA2A on every Group output then everything would be back in sync. Just with some added latency correct?

And if this is correct, I'm wondering what that added latency would be.

Hal

Naturally Digital
04-19-2012, 12:03 AM
True. But if I were to insert say the UAD LA2A on every Group output then everything would be back in sync. Just with some added latency correct?

And if this is correct, I'm wondering what that added latency would be.Approx 1.3ms (64 / 48000 = 0.001333...)

Unless it's double (2.6ms). :)

Wurst Werner
04-19-2012, 01:11 AM
The reported latency is not what controls the lockout... when a buffer is processed, if all the buffer samples are not returned, the plug is locked out... so... if the plugin sends zeros back for a full buffer load up until it actually starts returning data... then there will be no lockout, but the chan will be late and out of phase with the rest of the channels.

Not a particularly great thing in a live environment with mic leakage all over the place.

Bob L

Correct, so it is maybe not the wisest thing to use the chainer plugin for hosting a Linear Phase EQ with 6000 Samples latency:-)
I use it sometimes for the Waves SSL Channel (1 Sample latency) and for Drumagog5, which has 2 Samples in live mode.

hclague
04-19-2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks Natural