PDA

View Full Version : Beep... Beep...

Carl Mateo
06-19-2004, 04:04 AM
Hi Bob,

As they say... I just gotta say that those 20 second interval beeps on the Saw demo are not the best way for a program that is touted by it's users for the quality of it's sound to give a prospective customer a chance to perform a consistent and critical listen. A more unobtrusive method for the demo would, IMHO, give Saw a fairer shake in the process.

But, hey what do I know?

Peace,
Carl

Bob L
06-19-2004, 08:03 AM
The beeps can be removed easily... purchase any of the SAWStudio products and the beeps magically go away. :)

I decided to allow the demo to save files (edls, mix templates, automation galleries etc), because I feel that much of the power in SAWStudio comes in those areas, and I wanted the users to get a feel for speed and flexibility in saving and opening large sessions and being able to save and open complex console routings in an instant with a mouse click.

Many demos do not allow any data to be saved.

The beeps were about the only thing left to do to make the demo possible.

Even the beeps do not stop many people from using the software without purchasing... but oh well.

If you were not experiencing the soundcard issues you have been having, my guess would be that you would have been far along into the depths of the interface and navigation features by now , and not so concerned about the beeps.

I'm just sorry that you have had a bad experience so far, but this is why when people ask, I recommend certain hardware that I know has good, compatible drivers with the way that SAWStudio operates.

Bob L

TotalSonic
06-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Just to back up what Bob said -
Here's the hardware that I feel works the best with SAW:
RME - http://www.rme-audio.com
especially the Hammerfall DSP - ultra low latencies, great driver support, you can use any ad/da box that works with lightpipe you want - although their own converter boxes sound very good (especially for the price). Probably the most popular option with SAWyers.

Soundscape Mixtreme 192 - http://www.sydec.be
again - ultra low latency and fantastic driver support - this is the only card out currently that supports SAW's proprietary DWave protocol (which a few of us have found in our tests to give the best performance of all the options). It gives 16i/o to two TDIF ports - so you need an ad/da box with TDIF i/o (Sydec and others offer a number of options for this - althogh not as many options as you can get for lightpipe - unless you get an ADAT/TDIF converter box). I also like it's virtual mixer better than RME's - so if you have to rout multiple apps on a single box a lot this is a good one to look into also

Lynx Two - http://www.lynxstudio.com
Doesn't give the best latencies- but if you're looking for a soundcard with on board converters - this will definitely give you the best sounding ones of all the options out there.

Layla 24 - http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Layla24/index.php
For those looking for an all in one 8 channel 24/96 box w/ midi i/o with very good bang for buck - this unit can do the trick. Use with Echo's "Pure Wave" drivers.

These options might be a little pricier than some of the others out there - but if you're looking for awesome performance with no headaches I think these 4 places are the best place to start.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Carl Mateo
07-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Hi Bob and Steve,

I am still lurking about and want to thank you both for your suggestions.

Bob, I would have bought Saw weeks ago if I didn't have a problem using it with my sound card.

Here is the text of my last communication with E-MU;

"We are aware of this problem. It appears to be on SAW's end as we have
no problems with other DAW systems.

We are in communication with them on it.

Regards;
E-MU Systems Inc.
Technical support
831-438-1921 xt.4

Original Message Follows:
------------------------

hi,

I have been communicating with the Saw people and it seems like there
is
a communication problem between Sawstudio and the E-MU ASIO driver. I am
not able to use the Sawstudio Asio Driver Setup to adjust the latency,
buffer sample size, etc in the Asio control Panel in my 1212. I tried
using
another software app to adjust the ASIO driver settings but they do not
communicate appropriately to Saw. seems like the universal communication
is
not complete yet. Any thoughts? You can contact the developer of Saw via
the Saw studio forum. www.sawstudio.com."

Hope it will eventually be worked out.

All the best,
Carl

mghtx
07-07-2004, 12:15 PM
As far as demo's go I think the Saw demo is the best of any I've tried. To be able to save is key. It's a very generous demo.

There is no beep in the soundfile view.