PDA

View Full Version : MWS feature request for consideration

JonathanT
03-04-2005, 09:15 AM
I'd find it very useful to have some kind of select (or marked range) mode across multiple tracks in Midi Workshop - this would make it much faster to change an arrangement - insert an extra 4 bars in the middle of a piece for example. You can already do this in the main audio multitrack of course.
Currently with MWS this involves moving parts track by track, unless I've missed something.

Good idea? I don't know how easy it would be to implement technically of course.

Thanks

Jonathan
Electracoustic Ltd

JoergReiher
03-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Jonathan,
you can select multiple tracks by clicking on the track number (the colors of the track number invert by doing this) (just like in the SAW Multitrack)
Now select an area by mark begin - mark end on any of the selected tracks. If you copy/move/delete the selected area (del key, shift drag...), the notes in the marked area across all selected tracks are copied/moved/deleted.

Be sure not to be in the select mode, cause there it doesn't work.

Hope I understood your question and could help a bit.

Bob L
03-04-2005, 11:19 AM
And also be aware and careful where you place your final cursor before the paste... the positon and the hot track are part of the paste... so if you select tracks 1 thru 4, and then place your cursor further down the timeline and on hot track 5... tracks 1 thru 4 will be copied or moved to the new position as well as being shifted down to tracks 5 thru 8.

There is lots of power already built into the MWS. In fact, while everyone is waiting for it to have more editing features, I would have to say there are editing powers already in there that I do not find in the famouse sequencers.

You just have to look for the details and understand some of the different design logic... in the end it can actually enhance the editing process drastically. :)

Also... spend some time getting familiar with the Measure Mapping feature for locking midi to live audio performances... or for creating even tempos on a live midi performance that was not played to a click track... I don't think I've ever seen this feature in any midi program done quite the same and easy way.

You should also look into the depths of the scrubbing features... forward and reverse direction scrubbing... multiple track scrubbing... all track scrubbing and even vertical scrubbing within a musical chord on one track... lots of great power there to help the compositional process.

Bob L

JonathanT
03-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Thanks very much Joerg - you know I thought this feature would be in there somewhere, I've just tried it now and of course it works perfectly. I was sure I'd done this before but I must have missed something.

Anyway you have saved me before Bob sends me to RTFM detention - although, I can't find it in the manual, except under controller data editing.

Best Regards

Jonathan

JonathanT
03-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Hi Bob - I replied before I saw your post - yes as I use it more I've been discovering features already in MWS that get the job done effectively.

I'm doing a piece right now that involves adding midi to a vocal part originally recorded to acoustic guitar only, so I'm in there with syncing to live performances....

The Blend Midi File addition works great by the way - it would be nice to have an option for this to occur at the cursor position which would speed up assembling midi sliced drum loop parts e.g. from Phatmatik Pro (maybe Stylus as well??).

Thanks

Jonathan

Bob L
03-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Ok... good idea... I'll mark that one down.

Bob L