PDA

View Full Version : Turn off border padding in Windows 8?

mojogil
05-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I'm messing around with 8 and my tablet. I can't find where to turn off border padding.

Craig Allen
05-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I don't think you can anymore. I think it has to be a registry tweak now.

brettbrandon
05-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm messing around with 8 and my tablet. I can't find where to turn off border padding.

The only way to change it at the moment is in the registry.

If you are ok with editing the registry, here's how to do it.

Go to "run' and type "regedit".
Click on the computer icon in the left pane to highlight it.
Hit "ctrl f" to open find.
Enter "WindowMetrics" in search.
About half way down the right window is "PaddedBorderWidth".
Set it to zero.

Here's a screenshot. As you can see, the border padding is gone.

http://www.brettbrandon.com/shades/temp/Win8Registry.jpg

Brett

IraSeigel
05-05-2012, 04:18 PM
The only way to change it at the moment is in the registry.

If you are ok with editing the registry, here's how to do it....

Brett

Nice one! Great find. Thanks!

dbarrow
05-06-2012, 02:07 PM
I'm messing around with 8 and my tablet. I can't find where to turn off border padding.Does SAC run in Windows 8? Are there other problems?

brettbrandon
05-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Does SAC run in Windows 8? Are there other problems?
I haven't ran into any problems so far. My MOTU 24/io setup just fine using old drivers. My Edirol UA-25 won't setup with previous drivers.
The biggest problem for now will be driver support.
I had SAC running with two remotes synced up. Everything seemed to work fine.
As for Win 8 itself, it appears to be more efficient and faster than Win 7.
I have it installed on a ssd, and from where the bios boot screen dissapears (windows starts booting) to being able to click on something is a whopping five seconds....
The default install already has most of the services I disable, not running.
Theres a few things I don't care for but in all, I like it a little better than win 7.

Brett

EDIT:

Almost forgot, I also had SAWStudio demo linked with SAC with no apparent problems.

Paul Henry
05-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Not saying that this is the case here, but when I tested the pre release version of Windows 7 it also ran incredibly fast and light. The later full retail version didn't run nearly as light.

sebastiandybing
05-09-2012, 01:11 AM
Have you tested the sac / saw link for recording,
I read somewhere that win8 should have a much better
combability mode than win7.

Sebastian

brettbrandon
05-09-2012, 05:54 AM
Have you tested the sac / saw link for recording,
I read somewhere that win8 should have a much better
combability mode than win7.

Sebastian

I tried it with the SAW demo but it only allows 8 tracks. The SAC SAW link works fine but I'm not sure about the load jump issue.

I think we will find Win 8 to be one of the faster running windows to date.:eek:
I think it lies in the fact that this is the first windows aimed at tablets and small devices. They are trying to achieve the speed and slickness of the iPad. Lots of trimmimg is needed to function well on the smaller (slower) devices. This could:rolleyes: be a good thing....

Brett

sebastiandybing
05-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks, on win7 even 8 tracks will make sac
load jump like 6-8%,
I would love to hear if the sac meters stay
the same.
Sebastian

brettbrandon
05-12-2012, 08:02 AM
Thanks, on win7 even 8 tracks will make sac
load jump like 6-8%,
I would love to hear if the sac meters stay
the same.
Sebastian
Here's from a previous post.

I believe the demo only allows recording of 8 tracks.

EDIT:

Just tried it. Only 8 tracks.

I did find this. I set up 30 channels in SAC. When I linked SS, the load jumped 4%.
After that, when idle, in SRP, or record (8 tracks) there was no load change.

EDIT:

Also forgot to mention this is at a 1X64 buffer setting.

sebastiandybing
05-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Thanks
It does sounds promising,

Naturally Digital
05-19-2012, 09:54 AM
I think we will find Win 8 to be one of the faster running windows to date.:eek:
I think it lies in the fact that this is the first windows aimed at tablets and small devices. They are trying to achieve the speed and slickness of the iPad. Lots of trimmimg is needed to function well on the smaller (slower) devices. This could:rolleyes: be a good thing....I'm crossing my fingers. It would be nice if development went in that direction for a change. It does sound promising. I may skip over Win7 and go straight to 8!

Here's a little reading from MSDN on the Win8 UI: I've clipped a bit I liked the sound of...

3. Grace and power: Windows 8 apps.

Windows 8 apps are so much more than just optimizing for battery life though. These apps are beautiful and immersive, using every pixel of the screen to display their content. For years, each release of Windows added more and more chrome around the edges of your screen and windows—buttons and widgets and gadgets. Windows 8 reverses this trend, with Windows itself receding into the background, and putting the content of your apps ahead of the chrome.
Every app has a rich canvas with which to express its soul—when you’re using a news app, you’re fully immersed in news. When you’re checking your social networks, content is presented beautifully and artfully and in ways that draw you in to spend more time enjoying yourself. When you play a game, you’re fully and completely immersed in the game. (Although, some types of games have been doing full-screen for years!)
And over time, as apps evolve, when you’re editing photos, writing a document, managing your finances, or any other professional productivity task, you’ll also be immersed in that. Of course, if you use popular professional tools today, you can see how they are on a path to being full-screen and immersive already. Our unique app constructs such as contracts (http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsappdev/archive/2012/03/23/activating-windows-8-contracts-in-your-app.aspx), pickers (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/BR207928), and many other cross-app capabilities (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh464906.aspx) (all accessible globally via the charms (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465304.aspx#the_charms)) are about new ways to connect apps together, and are relevant for anything from intense data transfer between apps to sharing a quick link via email. These cross-app capabilities (and more importantly the APIs) are a unique element of Windows 8.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx