PDA

View Full Version : USB ... it works!

Michael Madio
05-09-2012, 12:56 PM
First time out with my mini SAC rig for a small event and using a USB interface ... it worked well. I was using a ThinkPad T61, PreSonus 1818VSL (cheap as interfaces go and has 8 mic inputs), and Behringer ADA8000 running 16 inputs and 4 monitors. Buffers were at 1x128, eq + comp on ins, eq on outs, no slips, and it sounded great.

From what I've been reading, USB interfaces are generally not recommended but for a small rig to replace your typical 16 channel rack mixer this works out very well. Needless to say, I'm impressed ... very well done Bob!

Russell Landwehr
05-09-2012, 01:30 PM
Sweet. Good to hear. I run USB as well on a 24 channel rig. and I run it at 1x128 too. Been real reliable.

rl

Michael Madio
05-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Sweet. Good to hear. I run USB as well on a 24 channel rig. and I run it at 1x128 too. Been real reliable.

rl

What interface are you using?

Russell Landwehr
05-09-2012, 01:53 PM
MOTU 828 mk3 Hybrid with 2 ADA8000s

IraSeigel
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
First time out with my mini SAC rig for a small event and using a USB interface ... it worked well. I was using a ThinkPad T61, PreSonus 1818VSL (cheap as interfaces go and has 8 mic inputs), and Behringer ADA8000 running 16 inputs and 4 monitors. Buffers were at 1x128, eq + comp on ins, eq on outs, no slips, and it sounded great.

From what I've been reading, USB interfaces are generally not recommended but for a small rig to replace your typical 16 channel rack mixer this works out very well. Needless to say, I'm impressed ... very well done Bob!

Just curious about something:
When you add the cost of SAC + T61 + PreSonus + Behringer, the hassle of all the interconnects and transporting the gear, what's the advantage over a rack mixer?

airickess
05-09-2012, 06:34 PM
When you add the cost of SAC + T61 + PreSonus + Behringer, the hassle of all the interconnects and transporting the gear, what's the advantage over a rack mixer?Is this a rhetorical question?

Michael Madio
05-09-2012, 07:34 PM
When you add the cost of SAC + T61 + PreSonus + Behringer, the hassle of all the interconnects and transporting the gear, what's the advantage over a rack mixer?

In my case I already had the hardware so my only additional cost was the software.

If going into it new, from a cost perspective, you can get a PreSonus 16-channel console for about the same price so cost isn't the big differentiator here ... it's power and flexibility. I would much rather carry a laptop + 2U worth of I/O than a console any day.

IraSeigel
05-09-2012, 08:07 PM
In my case I already had the hardware so my only additional cost was the software.

If going into it new, from a cost perspective, you can get a PreSonus 16-channel console for about the same price so cost isn't the big differentiator here ... it's power and flexibility. I would much rather carry a laptop + 2U worth of I/O than a console any day.

Oh, a console. I thought you said a rack mixer. My mistake...

Michael Madio
05-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Oh, a console. I thought you said a rack mixer. My mistake...

My bad ... I mis-spoke (or wrote?). What I meant was your typical 16-channel console (I often install this in a slant rack) ala Mackie 16xx, MixWiz, etc.

Wurst Werner
05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
@Michael: In the Audioboxbox setup, what security buffer do you use (fastest, normal or safe)?

Michael Madio
05-10-2012, 07:31 AM
@Michael: In the Audioboxbox setup, what security buffer do you use (fastest, normal or safe)?

Good question as it does make a difference. At 128 buffer size, safe is severely distorted, normal and fastest both sound good but to my ears there's a bit less delay with fastest so I use that. What's interesting is that going to 64 buffer size, only fastest works (normal and safe are distorted) but I get occasional slipped buffers (inaudible).

Michael Madio
05-11-2012, 02:06 PM
Turns out I can go reliably to 2x64 if I use 44.1KHz 16-bit (I've been running 48KHz 24-bit). What's interesting is that I really can't hear a noticable difference between 44.1/16 and 48/24 ... they both sound good.

ssrsound
05-11-2012, 02:58 PM
Everyone's ears have their limits. I can hear the difference between 44.1/16 and 48/24 -- it's really obvious to my ears. But once you get above that, I can't hear a difference.

...though the latency difference above that might make it worth it to go to 96 if your hardware can do it.

Michael Madio
05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Everyone's ears have their limits. I can hear the difference between 44.1/16 and 48/24 -- it's really obvious to my ears. But once you get above that, I can't hear a difference.

...though the latency difference above that might make it worth it to go to 96 if your hardware can do it.

I think the lack of difference is due to my crappy speakers more than anything else ;-)