PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Using Avid Interfaces With SAC?

just Doug
05-21-2012, 09:41 AM
Planning on building a SAC rig, and curious if anyone has used Digidesign/Avid interfaces for I/O with SAC. I've outgrown my Pro Tools LE rig, and have been researching my options for upgrading my mobile recording rig. I'd like to build one system which will support both SAC and Pro Tools (still debating between legacy HD vs. HD-Native). My thinking is that I'd set it up as a dual-boot in order to have one "OS" optimized for SAC, and the other for Pro Tools, et al.

Would a "Native" card coupled with two or more 192s function as I/O for SAC? I've been combing the info here, and know how I'd proceed for a dedicated SAC/SAW build, but can't find much info- here or elswhere- about using Avid's stuff outside of Pro Tools except for posts related to other DAWs.

I'd hate to take the plunge without getting some input from you guys...

Thanks,
Doug

Angie
05-21-2012, 09:55 AM
I built a new system for SAC/SAW a few years ago. I only need Pro Tools on occasion and planned to load it too. One of the problems I ran into was that although the mainboard was one of the top at the time, it wasn't supported by Avid due to the on board video. I could open Pro Tools, but when I hit play it would crash every time. I use a dedicated machine for Pro Tools sessions now. Still don't use it much, but I can if I need to.

If you really think you will use Pro Tools a lot, my advice is to build a system it will run on first. SAC/SAW is less picky about hardware. Chances are they will run just fine on it also.

gdougherty
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
SAC wants WDM, Dwave or ASIO drivers. ASIO is the most common. If the hardware you're considering supports ASIO, then you're likely good to go.

sstillwell
05-21-2012, 01:06 PM
The older Digidesign ASIO drivers were notoriously bad. Not sure that's still the case, but I'd be wary.

Scott

Bob L
05-21-2012, 04:25 PM
Test the SAC demo... if it works fine with your soundcard drivers... the full version should be fine also.

Bob L

just Doug
05-21-2012, 10:47 PM
... If you really think you will use Pro Tools a lot, my advice is to build a system it will run on first. SAC/SAW is less picky about hardware. Chances are they will run just fine on it also.

Yes, Angie, I will be working with Pro Tools a lot. Hoping to incorporate both my recording and reinforcement rigs in one. Of course, I'll use SAW for tracking shows I'm mixing, but Pro Tools for everything else.

SAC wants WDM, Dwave or ASIO drivers. ASIO is the most common. If the hardware you're considering supports ASIO, then you're likely good to go.

I'm pretty sure that Pro Tools 9 and 10 include ASIO drivers, but I haven't purchased anything yet- still doing my "homework"...

The older Digidesign ASIO drivers were notoriously bad. Not sure that's still the case, but I'd be wary.

Scott

Had a Digi 002r. Never tried SAC with the ASIO drivers in LE 6 or 7, but I had very good results using the ASIO drivers in Pro Tools LE 8 using the Digi 002r as a 16 channel firewire interface.

Test the SAC demo... if it works fine with your soundcard drivers... the full version should be fine also.

Bob L

Well, Bob, therein lies "the rub". I haven't purchased any new hardware yet, so all I've had to test with SAC is my trusty old Digi 002r. I'm taking time to research everything fully, and plan my build accordingly. My contention is that I can incorporate both my recording and reinforcement needs in one rig; a dual-boot system running some iteration of Windows optimized for SAC/SAWStudio, and the other "OS" optimized for Pro Tools.

According to Avid's product info, HD Native would appear to serve my needs quite well; up to 64 channels of I/O and relatively low latency. But I'll be damned if I'm going to rely solely on their marketing dept for advice on how well their hardware will work well with your software...!