PDA

View Full Version : Recording Midi when using SAC

Jeff Scott
05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
I plan to record a couple of nights of an Open Jam this coming weekend. A lot of great players sitting in....gonna mix on SAC and record the whole event in SAW. I'll be using 24 tracks most likely...with at least 8 or 9 of them from the drummer's Yamaha Electronic drum kit. I've used the SAC/SAW Link to record the live shows I'm mixing before...so that isn't an issue. What I wanted to know was this:

Can I record the Midi from the Edrum kit as well? Any issues when using the SAC/SAW link? Do I just need to arm the tracks in MWS and hit record?

The other thing is this...the drummer and I are not going to get the time to do the midi mapping in his Drum brain to match up with Superior Drummer (which I'll probably use to substitute for the Yamaha drum sounds when I mix it down later on...). Should I just record all of the Midi information onto one track and then sort out all the different drums / Midi notes to their own tracks later on?

Bob L
05-21-2012, 04:13 PM
You can just arm the tracks in MWS to record the midi data... no problem since you are not trying to monitor the midi back live thru vsts.

If the drum unit sends out separate midi chan for each instrument, you can record and arm separate MWS tracks... if it sends all midi data on one chan using different midi notes for each drum, then record it all on one MWS track and split the data out to multiple tracks later.

Bob L

Jeff Scott
05-21-2012, 05:25 PM
If the drum unit sends out separate midi chan for each instrument, you can record and arm separate MWS tracks... if it sends all midi data on one chan using different midi notes for each drum, then record it all on one MWS track and split the data out to multiple tracks later.

Bob L

Perfect Bob....just what I needed to know.

Once again...thanks for making such a flexible tool...