PDA

View Full Version : small time.....

richswit
08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
OK, I've been reading and got the demo for SAC. I have a trio that also uses backing tracks. 8 inputs is all we need. I've been testing out the demo with a Macbook Pro and a MOTU Ultralite (Firewire) interface. I think it sounds good, in between the demo cutting in and out. Sometimes there is a click, or a high pitched ting. I'm thinking that is the demo?

Simple question, would buying SAC be overkill for our situation? I use SAW, so I am familiar with the program. I like the idea of EQ, Echo, Reverb all in one need place. Now I have a Mackie mixer, outboard reverb, (which I don't like), and the BOSE L2 speaker system.

I just don't want pops, noise, and crashes during the gig. Anyone use this small a setup? ASIO driver is set at 128. Preload buffer at 1.

Mattseymour
08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
MOTU FireWire interfaces seem reasonably stable. The 'ting' doesn't sound like the demo, maybe Bob will chime in on that. One thing I've noticed is FireWire interface problems don't necessarily present to sac. With an older focusrite saffire I couldn't get anything like acceptable latency without clicks and pops but sac knew nothing of it, purely FireWire/driver issues and sac reported no slipped buffers. Check you're not getting slipped buffers.

Personally I like sac for small things as much as big. It gives you something you can expand later and, as you say, sounds very good. To have the functionality, and sound quality, in such a small footprint is a big plus.

Jeff Scott
08-09-2012, 02:35 PM
O

I just don't want pops, noise, and crashes during the gig. Anyone use this small a setup? ASIO driver is set at 128. Preload buffer at 1.

I use SAC and SAWStudio with our Trio as well. No...it's not overkill. It's and incredible mixing system and it gives us the flexibility to do what we need to do to sound and perform great. Try running your Asio setting at 2 x 64

I currently use the SAC-SAW link to record the gigs but I'm considering using SAW for playback of backing tracks. In that case I'll use a VST recorder to do a capture a board mix.We'll see.

richswit
08-09-2012, 02:36 PM
I also have a new Focusrite Scarlett 18/6 usb interface that seems to work well, too. Still getting some weird noises with the demo....but there is always about a 10 second window where the thing sounds damn good!

RBIngraham
08-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Try digging through some of the archives. I assume you're running in bootcamp? I seem to remember some talk of things like the Wi-Fi interfering with the firewire sound card drivers on the Mac Books, so I would kill that and any other extras you don't really need. See if that helps.

I don't remember the demo drop out being anything more than a small drop out of the sound when I ran the demo. But then that was quite some time ago since I ran the demo so I've slept since then.

To me that sounds like it would be a great little set up for a combo group.

richswit
08-09-2012, 03:17 PM
Try digging through some of the archives. I assume you're running in bootcamp? I seem to remember some talk of things like the Wi-Fi interfering with the firewire sound card drivers on the Mac Books, so I would kill that and any other extras you don't really need. See if that helps.

I don't remember the demo drop out being anything more than a small drop out of the sound when I ran the demo. But then that was quite some time ago since I ran the demo so I've slept since then.

To me that sounds like it would be a great little set up for a combo group.
Yes, I should know that.....I haven't done any windows 7 tweaks. I figure if it works "as is" then it should only get better!!

...now, if I would want to get a new windows laptop for this....what is the barebones, cheapest little gadget I could get by with????
Thanks guys!

gdougherty
08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
It took a fair amount of tweaking, disabling wireless, speedstep, etc. But I've got a Latitude 5520 that can be had refurbished for just over $500. I got a 2.5GHz i5 in it for the turboboost feature where it'll clock up to 3.1Ghz when needed. Make sure you get a 7200rpm drive for the faster boot time. I run a 9 piece band that maxes out 24 channels across 10 mixes plus FOH with 6 auxes of verb and other fx at FOH. Monitor mixes are pretty involved routing with subgroups using eq dynamics plus a dedicated reverb on each of 8 mixes. SAC load is 80***37; but one core of the i5 is just about maxed out. If it'll handle that, it can handle your requirements without problems. I do slip buffers occasionally but nothing audible.

Interfaces are 3 linked Profire 2626's.

Bonus on the 5520 is the expresscard slot so you're set for the expresscard MOTU or RME gear if you want to go there. The built-in firewire has been good and stable for me though and I've not had to use my old card.

richswit
08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
WOW!! all that for a little more the $500.

Like it!

:p

gdougherty
08-10-2012, 09:54 AM
WOW!! all that for a little more the $500.

Like it!

:p

Yeah, it's amazing what you can get when you're not paying the Apple tax.