PDA

View Full Version : Command line option for F-Key file?

dbarrow
08-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Is there a way to have SAC load a different F-Key file from the command line? Sometimes I use a larger 1920x1200 monitor and other times I use a smaller 1280x1024 monitor in a pullout drawer in the SAC rack, when all I need to do is start the computer and then run from remote.

Bob L
08-09-2012, 08:21 PM
No... but I suggest you default the smaller resolution F-Key set and if you then need to use the larger res monitor, just open the program and then load the proper F-Key file.

Bob L

dbarrow
08-09-2012, 08:45 PM
No... but I suggest you default the smaller resolution F-Key set and if you then need to use the larger res monitor, just open the program and then load the proper F-Key file.

Bob L
Thanks. I was thinking the opposite, but your suggestion is much better.

Actually, I only use a few F-key setups. I could just make the smaller or the larger main setup be on its own F-key. The default startup would be the smaller res monitor, as you say, and then I could load the larger setup on another F-key. With the larger monitor, I can get everything I need in one view, so I probably only need the one F-key for that.

Bob L
08-09-2012, 08:54 PM
That could work... or you could use F-Keys for the smaller res and alt-FKeys for the larger res all in one default F-Key file.

Bob L

dbarrow
08-09-2012, 09:01 PM
That could work... or you could use F-Keys for the smaller res and alt-FKeys for the larger res all in one default F-Key file.

Bob L

Even better...

JLepore
08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Just make sure all your plugins are set to only open in the size of your smaller setup, or you'll lose the ability to see or grab them.

dbarrow
08-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Bob L
Is there an easy way to copy an single F-key setup from one F-key file into another F-key file?

dbarrow
08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Is there an easy way to copy an single F-key setup from one F-key file into another F-key file?
I guess it doesn't matter if one resolution F-key file is loaded into the main bank and the other resolution F-key file is loaded into the alternate bank. I never realized they were stored and recalled separately.

UpTilDawn
08-09-2012, 10:29 PM
I guess it doesn't matter if one resolution F-key file is loaded into the main bank and the other resolution F-key file is loaded into the alternate bank. I never realized they were stored and recalled separately.

I've never quite understood exactly HOW they are stored and recalled. :confused:
Guess I never seem to have the time to experiment when I'm thinking about it.
Seems to me that calling up an F-key file populates both at the same time.... hmmm. Guess I'll HAVE to find the time soon.... before I forget about it again. ;)

Bob L
08-09-2012, 11:16 PM
The alt files are separate... so you can load an F-Key file and then load an Alt-FKey file and then recall from one and store to the other.

The F-Key defaults load both at startup.

Bob L

soundchicken
08-10-2012, 05:41 AM
Just make sure all your plugins are set to only open in the size of your smaller setup, or you'll lose the ability to see or grab them.

lol, been there. Same issue if you use 2 monitors, SAC stores the locations of the windows in hard numbers. This will cause you to loose your windows if your main monitor is the right one and you store the window location in the f-key as the left monitor. Then next time you set up you use only the main monitor, the windows will be off the screen to the left of your monitor with no way to get them back except load a different f-key file.

dbarrow
08-10-2012, 08:03 AM
lol, been there. Same issue if you use 2 monitors, SAC stores the locations of the windows in hard numbers. This will cause you to loose your windows if your main monitor is the right one and you store the window location in the f-key as the left monitor. Then next time you set up you use only the main monitor, the windows will be off the screen to the left of your monitor with no way to get them back except load a different f-key file.
That's an excellent point. I hadn't come across that one yet, since when I use the smaller monitor in the pull out drawer, I am mainly using it just to start up SAC and then I control everything from remote. I should make sure I have all the plugin popups stored within the smaller screen configuration just in case.

airickess
08-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't this be solved if, as a matter of habit, your default F-Key file always contains one F-Key that moves everything to your main monitor? That way, if you do use a single monitor after using multiple monitors and that F-Key file loads up you can hit your F-Key that puts everything in one window and at that point you can work with all of your windows.

UpTilDawn
08-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Wouldn't this be solved if, as a matter of habit, your default F-Key file always contains one F-Key that moves everything to your main monitor? That way, if you do use a single monitor after using multiple monitors and that F-Key file loads up you can hit your F-Key that puts everything in one window and at that point you can work with all of your windows.

Assuming that works (I have no reason to doubt that it would), make that F-key the current one that opens when opening the program and just make that F-key one that you wouldn't normally use, like F-12 maybe.

JLepore
08-10-2012, 09:21 PM

Doesn't work for plugins, since F-Keys don't effect them. Those are what usually gets lost in the invisible space.

davidss1
08-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Doesn't work for plugins, since F-Keys don't effect them. Those are what usually gets lost in the invisible space.

i got caught by this trap also, even removing and reopening the plugin just places it back in the unseeable position. i had to create a complete new session

dbarrow
08-11-2012, 09:22 AM
I have an nVidia graphics card with two outputs. When I had both screens connected and set to "clone" the smaller monitor would pan and scan to the edges of the larger monitor's resolution. When I disconnected the larger monitor and started with just the smaller resolution monitor, it no longer panned and scanned, even though it was obviously possible for it to do so when both monitors were connected. I wish I could figure out how to get the smaller monitor to pan and scan without having the larger one connected. I'm guessing it is a function of the graphics card, but there don't seem to be any settings that accommodate what I want to do. If it worked like I wanted, the disappearing FX plugins wouldn't be an issue.

I tried a pan and scan utility called GiMeSpace, but I didn't like how it worked. It didn't seem to respond the same way as when both monitors were connected with just the plain old nVidia driver in effect.

gdougherty
08-11-2012, 09:27 AM
I have an nVidia graphics card with two outputs. When I had both screens connected and set to "clone" the smaller monitor would pan and scan to the edges of the larger monitor's resolution. When I disconnected the larger monitor and started with just the smaller resolution monitor, it no longer panned and scanned, even though it was obviously possible for it to do so when both monitors were connected. I wish I could figure out how to get the smaller monitor to pan and scan without having the larger one connected. I'm guessing it is a function of the graphics card, but there don't seem to be any settings that accommodate what I want to do. If it worked like I wanted, the disappearing FX plugins wouldn't be an issue.

I tried a pan and scan utility called GiMeSpace, but I didn't like how it worked. It didn't seem to respond the same way as when both monitors were connected with just the plain old nVidia driver in effect.

On some of the drivers there's a way to set the display resolution and the desktop resolution independently. It might be under some advanced driver properties.

dbarrow
08-11-2012, 09:44 AM
On some of the drivers there's a way to set the display resolution and the desktop resolution independently. It might be under some advanced driver properties.I can do that (I think), but as soon as I change some parameters, I get "Input Out of Range" on the smaller monitor. I have almost gotten into a situation where I couldn't restore the previous settings. Windows seems to keep the incorrect setting, even after a reboot. I had to hook up the larger monitor and reset to the lower resolution. I wouldn't want to get into a situation where I accidentally set the wrong resolution and couldn't get back out of it.

gdougherty
08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Safe mode lets you correct the wrong resolution.

dbarrow
08-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Safe mode lets you correct the wrong resolution.Perhaps I missed something, but whatever changes I made in Safe Mode weren't applied when I restarted and Windows found the nVidia driver settings again. I had to connect the larger monitor to change the settings back.