PDA

View Full Version : ProFire 2626 question

GlenBo1
08-13-2012, 03:38 AM
I am putting together a small 16 to 24 channel system for our church band. I am currently testing the sys with my personal laptop a
HP HDX series, Intel core2 duo 2.13gh 4mg ram 64bit win 7 pro. The problem I am having is when I use the m-audio control panel the mixer works but as soon as I engage SAC live the profire kicks off and the control panel says the 2626 is not connected. I've checked my buffer settings 1-128, sample rate 44.1 and have installed the latest M-audio asio drivers. Any suggestions---- Help:confused:

mojogil
08-13-2012, 06:26 AM
I have to have the Profile on and connected when I turn on my laptop. Try restarting your computer while leaving the profile turned on.

richswit
08-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Keep us posted on your progress, cuz i just ordered me one....hope it works!!:confused:

gdougherty
08-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Very odd. Never seen this on my setup. Are you using the internal FireWire or a dedicated ti chipset based card?

GlenBo1
08-13-2012, 11:38 AM
I'm using the laptops internal FireWire (Jmicron). Whats got me puzzled is that i get meters and audio to the headphones with the m-audio software but as soon as i hit the live button in SAC "poof" reboot time:eek:

jlklein
08-13-2012, 01:43 PM
I'm using the laptops internal FireWire (Jmicron). Whats got me puzzled is that i get meters and audio to the headphones with the m-audio software but as soon as i hit the live button in SAC "poof" reboot time:eek:

Are you saying you have the M-audio Profire mixer software *running* when you go live on SAC? If so, that's likely your problem. You shouldn't have any interface's included mixing software running the same time as SAC, such as MOTU's CueMix and RME's TotalMix (I don't know what M-audio uses with the Profires).

Hope this helps,
Jeff

905shmick
08-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Are you saying you have the M-audio Profire mixer software *running* when you go live on SAC? If so, that's likely your problem. You shouldn't have any interface's included mixing software running the same time as SAC, such as MOTU's CueMix and RME's TotalMix (I don't know what M-audio uses with the Profires).

Hope this helps,
Jeff

FYI - RME's TotalMix has to run if you want SAC to be able to output any audio.

GlenBo1
08-13-2012, 02:16 PM
I dissabled the software outputs 9 - 26 and now it stays connected when i go live but i get no meters or any indication of input signal in SAC. The profire's mixing software seems to be part of the asio drivers. It has a mixer,router,settings and an about tab. Its what pops up when you access the asio driver setup.

jlklein
08-13-2012, 02:23 PM

Wow, really? I thought it was the same deal as the MOTU setup; CueMix is never started, and the only setup required is choosing the ASIO protocol from in SAC, and then the ASIO driver setup to configure the banks and buffer size. Thanks for the clarification.

Jeff

Mattseymour
08-13-2012, 02:30 PM

Really! :eek:

I never used an RME card with SAC but when I did have one I never touched totalmix and got audio in and out of the card via the asio drivers... Odd how they decide to change things.

richswit
08-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Man, someone chime in that the pro fire 2626 will work with a laptop. I just ordered one, and will send it right back on the truck when it comes......

;)

gdougherty
08-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I've been using the Profires and laptops for 3 yrs. A single and an old laptop was my very first 8 channel SAC rig

gdougherty
08-13-2012, 06:41 PM
The M-Audio Software is not a problem, unless something is messed up. I run SAC live and the Profire control panel occasionally without problems.

905shmick
08-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Really! :eek:

I never used an RME card with SAC but when I did have one I never touched totalmix and got audio in and out of the card via the asio drivers... Odd how they decide to change things.

Yep. You don't have to change any settings in TM, but if you don't allow the hdspmix.exe process to start (I think that's what it's called), SAC will not be able to output any audio.

richswit
08-13-2012, 07:38 PM
I've been using the Profires and laptops for 3 yrs. A single and an old laptop was my very first 8 channel SAC rig

That's what I'm talkin abou!:)

Alex
08-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Ive been using the Profire 2626 for over a year on a Laptop test rig weekly with a SiiG 1394 card, M-Audio has stated on there forum that the TI Chipset is preferred.

SIIG 1394 Dual-Port CardBus - FireWire adapter - 2 ports (NN-PCM222-S4)
or
SIIG 2 Port 1394 Dual-Port CardBus Adapter. 1394 DUAL PORT CARDBUS ROHS COMP 2 FIREWIRE PORTS FWCON. 2 x IEEE 1394a FireWire

Based on your slot config.

beatpete
08-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Ive been using the Profire 2626 for over a year on a Laptop test rig weekly with a SiiG 1394 card, M-Audio has stated on there forum that the TI Chipset is preferred.

SIIG 1394 Dual-Port CardBus - FireWire adapter - 2 ports (NN-PCM222-S4)
or
SIIG 2 Port 1394 Dual-Port CardBus Adapter. 1394 DUAL PORT CARDBUS ROHS COMP 2 FIREWIRE PORTS FWCON. 2 x IEEE 1394a FireWire

Based on your slot config.

Yeah, I think the JRMicron chipset could definitely be your problem.

richswit
08-16-2012, 10:39 AM
I dissabled the software outputs 9 - 26 and now it stays connected when i go live but i get no meters or any indication of input signal in SAC. The profire's mixing software seems to be part of the asio drivers. It has a mixer,router,settings and an about tab. Its what pops up when you access the asio driver setup.

I just got my Fireport today....after a little messing, I got it working with SAC. Very stable, very clean, very cool!!!

When you open the ASIO driver setup and the pro fire window opens up, make sure in the Output Source Routing you set it to Software Return 1/2 (if you are using 1 and 2 as your main outputs) Also make sure under Active software returns you have 1-8 checked off. I set everything else to "unassigned", because I have a simple 8 channel setup. (for now;))

DaveS
08-16-2012, 01:57 PM
The initialised (i.e. fresh install) version of Total Mix has all of the routings configured so that most s/w will work normally. If you start messing with TMs routings and such without know what you're doing you can get things fouled up quite quickly. Anything from no sound at all to odd doubling/phasing effects...

The 2626 app is the same sort of deal though not as sophisticated. Make sure you have everything assigned properly in the driver (forget what the tab is actually called). On mine I have all of the inputs down in the mixer app. as SAC provides any monitoring I need.

Also, make sure you have the driver setup properly in SAC. I use the ASIO driver settings.

GlenBo1
08-16-2012, 07:17 PM
I tryed the setup on an old DELL Laptop i had laying around (Celeron 1.86, 2,5 gig ram, win7 pro 32bit) and everything works. The laptop is slow so im running 4x256 and am getting 72% load. So the problem must be in the firewire hardware on my newer sys, i looks like ill have to invest in an outboard card:p

hkmorgan87
08-16-2012, 10:20 PM
The initialised (i.e. fresh install) version of Total Mix has all of the routings configured so that most s/w will work normally. If you start messing with TMs routings and such without know what you're doing you can get things fouled up quite quickly. Anything from no sound at all to odd doubling/phasing effects...

+1

I've never tried turning off the TM software. I use it for zone volume control. I setup the playback outputs in TM to feed outs to my ada8k to go separate zones.

I tried using the profire with FireWire on my system for a few days and had trouble configuring the software to work properly. I can confirm you have to have the m-audio software running to use the profire with sac.

GlenBo1
08-16-2012, 10:55 PM
I found this on a Qbase forum

I saw this posted on another forum...and thats why I had discarded the idea of getting a FIrewire card.... anyone care to comment? (I didnt write the following..)

Firewire cards are very often bus powered too and I don't see how firewire would be any harder to configure!

Maybe cheaper though, but I wouldn't let whether something is firewire or usb sway your decision too much, as long as it does what you need to do you shouldn't find yourself limited by usb with a minimal setup.

Some advice from someone who's been building DAWs professionally for the past 14+ years:

When using a Firewire audio interface, the Firewire controller is absolutely **critical** for having a rock-solid top-performing DAW. If at all possible, you want to use a good TI (Texas Instruments) chipset Firewire controller.

The problem with using a Firewire audio interface on said laptop is that the new HP's are using a Jmicron Firewire controller.
The Jmicron Firewire controller is... well... terrible for DAW purposes. ie: MOTU Firewire audio interfaces won't even install with that controller... let alone work well.
Note that going with an express-card TI chipset Firewire controller won't resolve the issue... as the express-card slot is also using the same brand (Jmicron) controller. So you're not really circumventing the problem... :mad:

GlenBo1
08-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I found this on TC Electronics forum

The dv series onboard firewire chipset is indeed jmicron (only works when you install the jmicron 1394 filter driver from hp), however the expresscard slot is handled directly by the board chipset -- it's a essentially a pci slot just like the others on the motherboard, an din my case, that is handled by intel.
Get a quality ti-based expresscard (siig 2 port fw 400 is what i use), turn off non essential services, use wlan optimizer (or disable wlan hardware completely), disable power management where possible (turn off powermizer for graphics cards, force high performance for windows power management and make sure cpu is set to 100 for min and max, disable acoustic dampening and power saving for the hard disks, use rivatune and throttlestop to force performance levels). Try disabling core parking on multicore machines and monitor core multiplier modulation using timonitor or throtlestop to see if dropouts correlate to multiplier or clockspeed drops.
so it looks like il have to do some more investigating :cool: