PDA

View Full Version : MOTU 2408mk2 & PCI-324 wordclock issues

soundchicken
08-23-2012, 06:14 PM
I've been using my rig with these 2 items for about 6mo now all of the sudden when I start up SAC the sample rate lights on my digimax start freakin out. I've check the MOTU drivers and configuration and all the wiring but can't seem to find any issue.

2408 WC out to T to T to T w/ terminator.

If I power on 2408 and preamps (wait for boot) then start PC, everything still OK. After PC is up and I start up SAC, still good. While SAC is starting there is an extended pause and that's when the sample rate lights go crazy.

I have tried a single preamp and it seems to hold, with 2 bleh, with all 3 bleh.

anyone have any experience with this?

I do have a show tomorrow that I'm fairly sure I can switch back to my RME for but my patch panel is set for the 2408 outs and I'd like to leave my ada8000 in its back-up box.

905shmick
08-23-2012, 06:28 PM
You're absolutely sure that there's only 1 and only 1 device acting as the master word clock and the rest of them are acting as slaves?

RBIngraham
08-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I have not run into that issue really, but when I tried the T adapter wordclock thing with a terminator on the last T, I found that to be fairly unreliable for whatever reason. My answer was to give up and just use an external wordclcok and all my preamps lock to it. Then I either take a line from the clock to one of my MOTU wordclock inputs or I just select one of the ADAT inputs for the MOTU to lock to.

I would double check every toslink optical and BNC and T adapter. Set up just one preamp and then if it works, as you said it does, then I would try just that preamp with every BNC cable and using try all the T adapters out. That way you can eliminate any of the cables as an issue. The terminator itself could be an issue as well, although it's rare.

It is odd that the issue starts when you begin to run SAC. Have you tried to just reset up all the audio configuration within SAC from scratch. I have had to do that a couple of times. I select another driver model, save default preferences, then close SAC. Start SAC again and select the ASIO model with the MOTU drivers and set up all your I/O patch again by hand. That has fixed issues for me in the past one a couple of occasions, but it's very rare.

Also make sure all your sample rates match and make sure you're running SAC in 24 bit mode, etc..

You might want to double check the firewire cable used for Audiowire as well I guess while you're at it.

Have you tried another piece of ASIO software? If you can do that, that would help narrow down the problem to hardware or something software related.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.

soundchicken
08-23-2012, 06:56 PM
after further review....

as far as all the settings, yes they are all set the same as I've been using the rig for 6mo+ (and verified)

I've tried 3 different firewire (audiowire) with the same results.

It is NOT the SAC interaction, I tried the cuemix that comes with the motu drivers and it does the same freakout. Digimax LT has a sample rate selection button that allows for unit selection of SR and an EXT Clock button to say to grab it from a source. when the EXT button is depressed the sample rate lights cycle waiting for a clock heartbeat to select a rate. no clock = cycle, "freakout" = all 3 lights flashing simultaneously.

I tried the WC cables in a T'd chain (like it is usually set) as well as a in-out jumper (with and without a Term on the end). I've even tried the system with an EXT time clock, funny enough it's the RME sitting in the slot next to the 324. All with the same response.

The "freakout" will continue until I run the motu configuration utility then it returns to normal.

soundchicken
08-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Opened up my case and took a look inside everything looked good but I swapped the 324 and my RME and it appears to be working now.....whew

it might have just needed a re-seat, it is a fairly cheap case and travels constantly.

905shmick
08-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Opened up my case and took a look inside everything looked good but I swapped the 324 and my RME and it appears to be working now.....whew

it might have just needed a re-seat, it is a fairly cheap case and travels constantly.

Glad it's working. Personally, I'd try putting the cards back to the original slots and see if it still works. That would really tell you the re-seat worked.

soundchicken
08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I assembled the case with the rme where the 324 was and now the rme isn't working so I'm guessing mobo. Hope it holds the weekend looking at another on newegg now, I'll just have to upgrade to a 424.

RBIngraham
08-23-2012, 08:26 PM
Wow. That's a weird one. Glad you figured it out.

TomyN
08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi,

the 2408 contains a memory-buffer battery (not sure if 2408-III does, but -I and -II do).
So this thing might relate to a battery running out of power and the unit loosing settings.

Tomy

RBIngraham
08-23-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi,

the 2408 contains a memory-buffer battery (not sure if 2408-III does, but -I and -II do).
So this thing might relate to a battery running out of power and the unit loosing settings.

Tomy

That really doesn't make much sense in this case. The battery only is to save settings when the unit is used as a stand alone converter. When the unit connects with the computerand the PCI card those settings are null and void as the PCI card takes over. Even in stand alone mode the battery only does anything while the unit is unpluged. If you never turn off the AC mains to the unit, it will not forget its settings.

The MK3 units do not have a battery inside, so they must use a non volatile ROM as they will remember their settings for months with no power.

TomyN
08-23-2012, 11:49 PM
Well, as I understand the problem opening the motu control panel fixes the problem, which for me indicates a configuration/setup issue.

Tomy

RBIngraham
08-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Well, as I understand the problem opening the motu control panel fixes the problem, which for me indicates a configuration/setup issue.

Tomy

Ummmmm.... read the entire thread, he found the issue, it is motherboard related :confused:

soundchicken
10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
Follow up....

The issue was all about the PCI card (motu pci324) not seating correctly into the slot and I have to lay the blame on a cheapo case. I installed a new mobo and took it out for a ride and didn't have any issue until today when I was setting up for a gig and the PC wouldn't see the 2408. It seemed to see the pci324 fine, just wouldn't show the 2408 as being hooked up (the 2408 even thought that it was hooked up to a PC). After cancelling dinner with the in-laws, I sat in the basement and tore my PC apart and as I was reinstalling the pci324 for yet another test I noticed that the top part of the card that you secure down with a screw, was about an 1/8" above the rear of the case. By putting enough pressure on this piece to push it down to the case I noticed the mobo flex....ugh. So shimming it up a bit and tightening the card down made the pc, the 324, and me all happy again. I have to use it tonight for the gig (please pray for me), but a new mobo is on the way yet again.