PDA

View Full Version : Working in MWS

Yura
08-26-2012, 05:54 PM
Hi

This is just a curiosity to figure out how others work with MWS while a simple recording process is.
VSTi is connected to a MIDI track through particular port, ok.. Midi thru button is on.
To try a sound I'm pushing "L" key. Playing on keyboard, making adjustments to the VSTinstrument.
Now it's time to make a new take while others tracks are plaing.
To do this, I'm pushing "L" key and then clicking on rec button of the midi track.
(we can't arm a track for recording in Live mode!)
But I need to hear the sound of my instrument "once again" before I'll do a new take. So I need to click "L" button again while my trach is already armed.
By the way, I feel some uncomfortable, pushing "L" key third time.
Well, preparations are done, I'm recording new notes.
But before making any corrections to my notes I need to exit Live mode again. Usually I need to enter "L" again and again after several changes with notes (note On-velocity, etc) to hear it's sound by clicking on it using Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys for each case.
All in all I got used to this, and found myself with my PINKY of my left hand being placed on the "L" key! most of the time of this work! Because my right hand is on the mouse and other fingers of the left hand are on the Ctrl and Shift buttons. that's it if I do the work with adjusting notes velocity and correcting their places and durations.

I'd like to hear from MWS users about their way of work if there is something interesting or different about it

Dave Labrecque
08-26-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi

This is just a curiosity to figure out how others work with MWS while a simple recording process is.
VSTi is connected to a MIDI track through particular port, ok.. Midi thru button is on.
To try a sound I'm pushing "L" key. Playing on keyboard, making adjustments to the VSTinstrument.
Now it's time to make a new take while others tracks are plaing.
To do this, I'm pushing "L" key and then clicking on rec button of the midi track.
(we can't arm a track for recording in Live mode!)
But I need to hear the sound of my instrument "once again" before I'll do a new take. So I need to click "L" button again while my trach is already armed.
By the way, I feel some uncomfortable, pushing "L" key third time.
Well, preparations are done, I'm recording new notes.
But before making any corrections to my notes I need to exit Live mode again. Usually I need to enter "L" again and again after several changes with notes (note On-velocity, etc) to hear it's sound by clicking on it using Ctrl, Alt and Shift keys for each case.
All in all I got used to this, and found myself with my PINKY of my left hand being placed on the "L" key! most of the time of this work! Because my right hand is on the mouse and other fingers of the left hand are on the Ctrl and Shift buttons. that's it if I do the work with adjusting notes velocity and correcting their places and durations.

I'd like to hear from MWS users about their way of work if there is something interesting or different about it
Yura -- instead of pressing the 'L' key, click on RDY (record ready). That's also a live mode. Now, start SRP, record some stuff, and hit the space bar to stop. You're back in record ready mode again (live mode). You can play your MIDI instruments while in record ready mode. See if that works for you.

Yura
08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Yura -- instead of pressing the 'L' key, click on RDY (record ready). That's also a live mode. Now, start SRP, record some stuff, and hit the space bar to stop. You're back in record ready mode again (live mode). You can play your MIDI instruments while in record ready mode. See if that works for you.

Hi

RDY ??
Oh no. I'm talking about MWS window.

Dave Labrecque
08-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Hi

RDY ??
Oh no. I'm talking about MWS window.

Oops. Sorry. :o Maybe Bob will step in here. I don't use MWS often enough to have a quick answer for you.

Bob L
08-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Similar to Dave's suggestion, arm the track, then start Live mode... now you can playback and record and when you stop, Live mode will be automatically engaged again... now you can edit and adjust notes... scrub... etc... all the basic functions needed to decide on keeping the recording.

It's really not that big of an inconvenience in my opinion in order to gain the benefits of the higher performance while performing many other editing functions without having the engine always running in the background sucking cpu power from other functions.

lIt also frees up the soundcard for quick jumps to other audio apps without the need for multi-app drivers.

Bob L