PDA

View Full Version : Focusrite RedNet PCIe card...

arig
09-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Interesting! Dante network compatible.

http://us.focusrite.com/ethernet-audio-interfaces/rednet-pcie-card

ssrsound
09-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Sure -- but where's the large channel count and relatively inexpensive Dante stage boxes? The RedNet ones would be great if they weren't $300/channel. Find something for less than $100/channel and you've got a winner.

arig
09-05-2012, 12:01 PM
True. No real options for stage boxes, but this is first host capable Dante card I've seen.

ADA8000+Appsys working flawlessly and with lower latecies.

Goforth_Audio
09-05-2012, 02:23 PM
sweetwater has rednet3 for $1500. Plus the pcie card for $1000 = $2500. You get 32 digital i/o's on one ethernet. But you still need your own pres. It is more expensive than I can afford. But it sure looks like an elegant solution. Especially since most of us have our own pres already. If money was no object I could go crazy with rednet and have 8 or more channels for talkback and monitoring. I better get bu$y working.

tartan
11-30-2012, 11:55 AM
Yep, I really want to try this. An advantage -- though not a huge one -- is that it lets me build a very powerful, but 1U, SAC host, with a single PCIe card for all the channels I need.

Most importantly, it will also come down to the stability of the card and its driver; I've really gotten used to RME reliability. And now I'm back to MADI. lol

tomasino
12-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Yes very interesting.. thanks for the post.
This sent me off reading about the spec..

IMHO, definitely the future of things to come.
All you need is a Gig network with QoS and DSCP QoS.

Eventually, should be able to buy an ART TubeOpto8 (or other A/D interface) with a built in Gig 10BaseT interface on the back.
Plug it into your Gig network and go! Maybe then the per channel cost will be more reasonable.. if not downright cheap.

Mattseymour
12-03-2012, 08:45 AM
I've just been reading about some of the avb products out there. Lots of avb aware switches hotting the market but very little actual audio gear, makes sense in a way as people can prepare their infrastructure.