PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a Great Wireless Router

Luther Gaither
09-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Hello Fellow Sac Users

I'm Looking For A Really Good Wireless Router For My Sac Rig.
Right Now I'm Using A, D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router And I Think Its Good But, Looking For A Better One That Will Also Work With XP-Pro 64 Bit.
Thanks Everyone.. Luther

dasbin
09-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Anything you can flash Tomato on to.

gdougherty
09-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Wireless routers will work with any OS that supports ethernet hardware and top/ip networking. I've had good results with an asus dual band router. Far fewer problems on it and a new laptop than I used to have with a net gear dual band and a linksys dual band USB adapter. Could be the adapter more than the router though.

Some decent results with some of the high powered routers mentioned around here too.

Donnie Frank
09-11-2012, 10:24 PM
You kind of have to define "really good." I assume you mean greater range and reliability. Depending how much "strain" you put them under, I've found most routers to be reliable. Ironically, the most rock-solid router I've owned has been a WRT54G. However this is running multiple Access Points that each run multiple nodes, not to mention a host of wired nodes including some utilizing Ethernet Over Power devices, etc.

For SAC, you're probably not going to push a router that hard. If it's greater distance you need, my personal experience has directed me towards planar antennas and active signal boosters. The WSB24 is a pretty cheap "bang-for-the-buck" 24dB boost.

Mattseymour
09-11-2012, 10:40 PM
I've used draytek routers many times and always found them to be slid and reliable.

Steve Christiano
09-13-2012, 05:56 PM
Hi,
I'm using an Amped r10000g. I've used it for about a dozen or so shows with good results. Easy to configure and plenty powerful. In fact I had to turn mine down. I sometimes do wireless foh and always use a wireless tablet pc for monitor mixes and room tuning spot checks. If you use mac address filtering like I do, you'll want to make sure to get the latest firmware update.
Dont forget that wifi is a 2 way street. The pc needs to have good wifi too. Am testing the amped pc usb dongle now.

Steve

RandyHyde
09-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Hello Fellow Sac Users

I'm Looking For A Really Good Wireless Router For My Sac Rig.
Right Now I'm Using A, D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router And I Think Its Good But, Looking For A Better One That Will Also Work With XP-Pro 64 Bit.
Thanks Everyone.. Luther

I've used the Amped Wireless router. Works great, easy to configure, etc., etc.

Bought the USB dongle, too, but it didn't seem to make a difference on my HP Touchsmart. Just as well as the dongle is just too inconvenient to use with a tablet.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

dbarrow
09-14-2012, 11:23 AM
I use the Netgear WNDR-4500. I think they even have a 6000 now. It is heads above the other routers I have used. It is dual band and I usually run the remotes on the 5ghz band, since there is usually less traffic there. I have a set of Netgear Powerline adapters, just in case, but I haven't had to use them much.

soundchicken
09-14-2012, 12:30 PM
I use the Netgear WNDR-4500. I think they even have a 6000 now. It is heads above the other routers I have used. It is dual band and I usually run the remotes on the 5ghz band, since there is usually less traffic there. I have a set of Netgear Powerline adapters, just in case, but I haven't had to use them much.

++1

rock solid on 5ghz!

NoFear13X
09-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Netgear WNDR-3700 or any model above that. They're really created a bullet-proof router with the newest WNDR series, and the feature set and reliability are impressive. I only use that router for everything I do now, and stock 3 at any given time. You just can't beat the thing!

keithsplace
09-15-2012, 09:28 AM
I use a <$100 Netgear DIR-655 Gigabit N router on my SAC rig.
It's been pretty much bullet proof for over a year now. I use it at festivals and bar clubs running SAC Remote on multible laptops, and found it to be trouble free, plenty of band width, fully configurable and rock solid so far.
I run a festival where I am about 125' away from the stage and have never had an issue. I have had up to 6 Remotes connected to at one time. I even have an old g wireless in an old IBM Thinkpad that works just fine for a Remote stage monitor console. I do always recommend you hide the SSID from broadcasting after you get your clients set up, to prevent local smartphones, iPads, laptops etc. from trying to find a WIFI hotspot and connect to your router.

gdougherty
09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
I use a <$100 Netgear DIR-655 Gigabit N router on my SAC rig.
It's been pretty much bullet proof for over a year now. I use it at festivals and bar clubs running SAC Remote on multible laptops, and found it to be trouble free, plenty of band width, fully configurable and rock solid so far.
I run a festival where I am about 125' away from the stage and have never had an issue. I have had up to 6 Remotes connected to at one time. I even have an old g wireless in an old IBM Thinkpad that works just fine for a Remote stage monitor console. I do always recommend you hide the SSID from broadcasting after you get your clients set up, to prevent local smartphones, iPads, laptops etc. from trying to find a WIFI hotspot and connect to your router.

DIR-655 would be a D-Link device.