PDA

View Full Version : Another Option

Dan Fulton
09-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I was looking at the Whirlwind E Snake 3 and though about that

could you use the ethersound pci card from digigram LX6464ES and that unit it?

not sure on the digigram card to see if it can do realtime stuff. But i emailed there tech support to see i can get more information

Has anybody played with either of these products here?

SLFAUDIO
09-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I was looking at the Whirlwind E Snake 3 and though about that

could you use the ethersound pci card from digigram LX6464ES and that unit it?

not sure on the digigram card to see if it can do realtime stuff. But i emailed there tech support to see i can get more information

Has anybody played with either of these products here?

Latency Information here:

http://www.audioexport.de/live/cgi-bin/download.php?filepath=/media/digigram/Digigram_EtherSoundRange.pdf

Down in this pdf are the latency informations

Dan Fulton
09-24-2012, 03:21 PM
yeah i did some more researching on it doesn't look to favorable

RBIngraham
09-24-2012, 04:43 PM
All that Ethersound stuff is very long in the tooth and I don't see anyone doing much in the way of future Ethersound development due to the licensing costs.

All the AVB stuff (which is what Dante is using) is really where the future development is going and probably holds the most promise, or proprietary stuff.

martiaudio
09-28-2012, 04:06 PM
there will never be one protocol.. the competition is hard and it is very expensive gears.. therefore each brand chooses there own protocol more or less at least always with a bitter twist so that you can't do what you want even with fancy.. Dante.. madi. there are no good answer.. AES is an other remaining for a long time.. AVB ?? maybe ..

My latest understanding is to find a protocol that suits some serious i/o for a compatible sound card pcie or thunderbolt to run SAC and SAW. and be competitive.
As soon as it means more money than it is better to go for a different package that will insure great services..like A&H or I hate to say Yamaha..

But the Behringer new S16 or more interesting Midas digital snake can still keep you in good shape financially.. and what a SAC set up.. and there are many other ways with MADI..
But debate on the next big protocol is foolish I think with the amount a new products coming up.

gdougherty
09-28-2012, 04:26 PM
Actually, AVB is aiming to be the protocol for everyone. If anything has a chance, that'd be it. It's an open standard free of licensing fees which makes it attractive for all. There are already networking chips that support AVB, so using off the shelf parts you can easily and inexpensively implement and support the protocol.