PDA

View Full Version : SAC compact 24 in/out

virtualmixingconsole
09-28-2012, 02:29 AM
Hy Guys!

First of all, sorry for my bad english!
I am a beginner soundengineer, and drummer from Hungary.
I want to introduce my new project (ver 1.0). This have 24 in and 24 out system, built in now only Behringer preamp and converter. (i plan in the future midi-remotable, mid-range quality mic-pre and/or converter...but i think, Behringer converter not too bad, just the preamp:)
It is just only 4U rack, very compact for me. I built in 150Mbit router for wireless remote controlling.
And does not cost as much as a new 01v96...

So...SAC is very usable for mixing, particularly IEM. I am very thankful to Bob, his work paradigm shift for my work.
Tha'ts all now, i hope you like it!

Mathis
09-28-2012, 03:01 AM
cool, I like your idea a lot!

operationwhat
09-28-2012, 04:03 AM
Unfortunatly, lightpipe will never be a great solution for touring + considering 48khz vs 192khz Digidesign, it's quit a limitation.But it's a good idea.

Dan Fulton
09-28-2012, 06:24 AM
i would really like to see how you did the inside of this unit???
that would be really cool do you have pictures?

did you fabericate the computer rack or did you use a premade rack and modify it?

Carey Langille
09-28-2012, 06:37 AM
Way to go!! Awesome!.. Lets see some more Pics! :)

Dan Fulton
09-28-2012, 06:46 AM
I have no problem with the sound of sac at 48khz 24bit. I don't see the need for any higher. But that is another argument that has been beat to death on this forum.

Unfortunatly, lightpipe will never be a great solution for touring + considering 48khz vs 192khz Digidesign, it's quit a limitation.But it's a good idea.

Butch Bos
09-28-2012, 07:17 AM
And the lightpipe keeps nasty static and bad guitar amp grounding out of the computer:)

Butch

martiaudio
09-28-2012, 03:35 PM
really cool!

elcornell
09-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Nice job.

mojogil
09-29-2012, 07:04 AM
I love your idea! One concern I have is what would you do if the computer failed? Its happened.

ralhop
09-29-2012, 11:19 AM
I must say very nice!!! , I love the front plate , how did you make it??
I love to see some pictures how the ADA8000 are fitted in the Computerhousing.

keep on the good work!!!

Jazzyrick
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM

I'd like to see a double blind test at a live venue of who could tell the difference between 48khz and 192khz.

Digital recording I might give you a chance...live? Ha!

People listen to MP3s all the time without complaint and that's compressed, 48 khz is higher than CDs were produced at. It's marketing and hyperbole...that is all.

Butch Bos
09-30-2012, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see a double blind test at a live venue of who could tell the difference between 48khz and 192khz.

People listen to MP3s all the time without complaint and that's compressed, 48 khz is higher than CDs were produced at. It's marketing and hyperbole...that is all.

Yes BUt at only 48K you miss all the highs from 24K to 96Khz:D

Butch

virtualmixingconsole
10-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Just Midas and PM5 use the 96K....others satisfied 48K
I think, bit depth much more important than freq resolution...

Since I mixing digital desks, I use with only UPS.
Our big S.A.C. system is working since 2 years like that without freezing...

I have a friend in a company ( they make accesories for analog snakes, pc chassis etc...) and he made me this "custom made" box.
This is my own design.

The panels are installed by this (first picture).....first time I tought that will be unstable, but it wasn't the binding is very tight.
(second pic: during assembly)

ralhop
10-02-2012, 08:48 AM
If the PC box goes in production want to buy one. ;)

operationwhat
10-02-2012, 09:20 AM
Hello,here are some tips for my Hungarian Friend.

Would be great if peamps would be remote capeable and better ones,
to have a box buit that would have the abilaty to send video,midi and usb signal over Cat5 to a TouchScrean LCD mith a fader pack :D hahaahaha
and 1 stereo mix to the foh and to receave a mono signal for talkback :D

Just kiddin'

brent
10-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Wait, do you think Avid consoles operate at 192kHz? They do not. They are 48kHz only. Anything else is really a waste.

brent
10-02-2012, 01:22 PM

I think you are mixing up some things. The 48kHz mix engine is a completely different thing than a 16-Bit CD.

Jazzyrick
10-02-2012, 04:03 PM
CDs are manufactured with a 44.1 khz bit rate and 16 bit resolution. You can look it up yourself...

Dan Fulton
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
are you pulling the power for the ADA's off the power supply for the computer?

I have a friend in a company ( they make accesories for analog snakes, pc chassis etc...) and he made me this "custom made" box.
This is my own design.

The panels are installed by this (first picture).....first time I tought that will be unstable, but it wasn't the binding is very tight.

Andy Hamm
10-03-2012, 04:44 AM

Higher sample frequency = less latency.

soundchicken
10-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Higher sample frequency = less latency.

and THAT is something I think we'd all love to see

Mattseymour
10-03-2012, 11:25 PM
But isn't doubling the same sample rate to lower latency the same as just halving the buffer size but generally placing more load on the system?

operationwhat
10-03-2012, 11:33 PM
No,compressors and eq sound different at 96k... try it!

Mattseymour
10-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Wellllllll some do. Whether you can hear it is debatable. I've heard some eq that sounds much better at high sample rates but only because they sounded bad generally.

caojungt@yahoo.com.cn
12-09-2012, 06:59 PM

This is my own design.

hi nice job,can you put more pictrue and clear pictrue ,i want learn more from you .thx.

caojungt@yahoo.com.cn
12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
Hy Guys!

First of all, sorry for my bad english!
I am a beginner soundengineer, and drummer from Hungary.
I want to introduce my new project (ver 1.0). This have 24 in and 24 out system, built in now only Behringer preamp and converter. (i plan in the future midi-remotable, mid-range quality mic-pre and/or converter...but i think, Behringer converter not too bad, just the preamp:)
It is just only 4U rack, very compact for me. I built in 150Mbit router for wireless remote controlling.
And does not cost as much as a new 01v96...

So...SAC is very usable for mixing, particularly IEM. I am very thankful to Bob, his work paradigm shift for my work.
Tha'ts all now, i hope you like it!
hi, can you uplaod inside pictrue here ,thx,i want make one same like your machine.