PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic!

AudioAstronomer
05-21-2004, 12:58 PM
I must say i have been trying sawstudio basic for the last week and am extremely impressed! And when I encountered a problem, bob was extremely helpful and was very ready to lead me in the proper direction.

welcome me to the family :) Soon as I decide if basic, or lite better fits my needs i will be a convert for life! Expect to see me a round lots :)

Carey Langille
05-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Welcome Aboard, Great to see you here. You will find we are a friendly bunch and will try to help out whenever we can! You have made a great choice to try the demos and see which one fits your needs best!

AudioAstronomer
05-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Is there any benefit to purchasing sawstudio lite directly from RML or is my money better spent with TSM's 900$ offering? I am using a hyper-threaded cpu and think /maybe/ lite offers better performance with it?

regardless, The multitrack layers are invaluable to me and the way I work, but being 3x the price it would take a bit more time to save up to afford the purchase. The GFA would cost me almost 500$ more than saving and purchasing from TSM! For that much I can easily wait I think, or learn to use sawstudio basic. Sawstudio's amazing workflow has already changed how I think about working with music in a DAW, maybe the idea of layers isnt necassary.

Carey Langille
05-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Im not sure how Hyper Threading works with SawStudio, Bob would be best to answer that. I know that you can get better savings by purchasing from Total Sonic Media or other affiliates. There are no benifits that i know of by purchasing from RML over TSM except a discount of course. Layers are-- WONDERFUL-- I would really miss them if i didnt have them. There great for comping different takes of Guitars, vocals ect.... But if you dont need it, you can do similar things with just normal tracks,by muting/soloing, So basic might fit your need and budget.

Bob L
05-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Hyperthreading has not turned out to be anything of value in my experience with SAWStudio.

SAWStudio will see two processors and split the threads, but there really does not seem to be any advantage, because in reality, there really is only one cpu.

In fact, I have a reply in the Q&A section of the website that addresses how to shut hyperthreading down and in many cases, you may find your whole system will run more stable.

Bob L

mghtx
05-21-2004, 08:54 PM
Well, if you watch the videos you'll see that you can move the audio around to any track at anytime. So you could use a track as a "let it all hang out track" and then cut and grab the good parts and put them where you want.

However, I will at some point move up from Basic to Lite but not just because of the layers. I want to use video with SAW.

TotalSonic
05-22-2004, 12:04 AM
Is there any benefit to purchasing sawstudio lite directly from RML or is my money better spent with TSM's 900$ offering? I am using a hyper-threaded cpu and think /maybe/ lite offers better performance with it?

Hi AudioAstronomer -
The benefits of purchasing through Total Sonic Media instead of buying direct are the following:

price:
I can offer the following discounts off of direct pricing:
SAWStudio (full version) - $2000 ($500 off of direct)
SAWStudioLite - $900 ($300 off of direct)

support:
All SAW software purchases through TSM include 60 days (from date of purchase) of free email support. If you're within the continental USA I also include up to 3 hours of telephone support (on my dime) within that same 60 day period.

goodies:
If you're within the continental USA I also ship to you at no charge a CD-ROM containing over 50 freeware utilities and plugins that I've tested for quality and compatibility with SAW.

All purchases qualify you for all updates and upgrade offers given by RML Labs, the same as if you purchase direct.

I currently can't offer discounts on SAWStudio Basic or Midi Work Shop so I suggest purchasing those products direct. Also, the Good Faith Agreement is only available direct.

afaik there is no benefit to using Hyperthreading with any version of SAW currently. Frankly - because of SAW's efficiency - a healthy single cpu system will seem like you've got hyperthreading working anyway!

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AudioAstronomer
05-22-2004, 09:34 AM
If I wish to upgrade from sawbasic to sawlite, does TSM offer an upgrade? If not it seems Ill be "wasting" (if any purchase of SS could be called that) my money since the upgrade is 900$, same price I could get SSL to begin with?

So many choices, with such a large price gap for just 2 features (for me) it takes quite a bit of thinking. If maybe I could see multitrack layers in work somehow... Perhaps I will download SSL demo and try :)

I assume sawbasic is not available through TSM in order to receive the benefits? That would be wonderful.

TotalSonic
05-22-2004, 04:01 PM
If I wish to upgrade from sawbasic to sawlite, does TSM offer an upgrade? If not it seems Ill be "wasting" (if any purchase of SS could be called that) my money since the upgrade is 900$, same price I could get SSL to begin with?

So many choices, with such a large price gap for just 2 features (for me) it takes quite a bit of thinking. If maybe I could see multitrack layers in work somehow... Perhaps I will download SSL demo and try :)

I assume sawbasic is not available through TSM in order to receive the benefits? That would be wonderful.

Hi AudioAstronomer -
All upgrades must be made directly through RML Labs - but if you purchase SAW through Total Sonic Media you still qualify for any upgrade offers made by RML Labs.

While I can't offer a discount on SAWStudio Basic I can offer 14 days email support and if you're in the Continental US, the CD-ROM of freeware mailed to you for free.

The layers are pretty awesome for doing things like comping vocals or solos - just record a take on each of the layers (leaving one layer free) - hit the number keys to switch between them in real time while playing back your tracks - and then mark the area you want to keep and send this to your top layer.

I've done a couple of film scores (one of which is now in rotation on iT TV's "Shoot It" shorts series on RCN Cable) using the Video Track Viewer - it really is pretty cool tool for having these kinds of jobs streamlined by allowing you to have seamless and pain free frame accurate sync between the video and the tracks you are recording on top of them.

Besides the greater amount of tracks, layers, library views, and inputs/outputs - here's the other features that SAWStudioLite has over SAWStudio Basic:
TCP/IP HOST / SLAVE / REMOTE CAPABILITIES - allows you to connect up to 8 other DAWs as remotes or slaves - so that you can for example start recording while your out in your isolation booth - or play a mega Phil Spector-esk session with 144 tracks coming out at once from a couple of DAW's - all with rock solid performance.

ENHANCED DUAL CPU PERFORMANCE - not really a necessity these days considering how - but if you want to make a smokin dual cpu system

SPECIAL DUAL MONITOR FUNCTIONALITY - a must have considering all the screen real estate I like to have available for streamlined work flow.

VIDEO WORKSHOP COMPATIBLE - while it hasn't yet released the plans are on the drawing board for a complete video editing add on that would allow complete video productions to be made within SAWStudio.

REGION / PEAK DATA MEMORY CACHING - very cool feature for helping to allow to play real dense sessions.

MIXER CHANNEL MEMORY CELL STORE / RECALL - this to me is a must have - it allows you to copy fx and their settings, along with global aux, dynamic, eq, pan and level settings - from one track and recall them on any other.

MIXER AND MULTITRACK GROUP PRESETS - to me another must have. It allows you to setup groups of tracks (i.e. all the different drums tracks) as presets and recall them with a single click so that you can tweak all of their faders at once. Cool stuff.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

mghtx
05-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Whoa!! Steve are you saying I can get Basic from you and get the plugin CD too? That's awesome!

I tried your DAW qoute page and I think the submit link is not working.

AudioAstronomer
05-22-2004, 10:09 PM
TCP/IP HOST / SLAVE / REMOTE CAPABILITIES - allows you to connect up to 8 other DAWs as remotes or slaves - so that you can for example start recording while your out in your isolation booth - or play a mega Phil Spector-esk session with 144 tracks coming out at once from a couple of DAW's - all with rock solid performance.

I only need 16-24 tracks :) I can work within those bounds quite nicely. But the remote control idea is very very neat. And something I already do using a stripped down VNC with other software.

ENHANCED DUAL CPU PERFORMANCE - not really a necessity these days considering how - but if you want to make a smokin dual cpu system

Running single p4 :)

SPECIAL DUAL MONITOR FUNCTIONALITY - a must have considering all the screen real estate I like to have available for streamlined work flow.

just have one monitor! Buying 2 and a new video card means more than I wanna spend ! Saws Fkeys let quite a bit of real-estate hang out nicely I think.

VIDEO WORKSHOP COMPATIBLE - while it hasn't yet released the plans are on the drawing board for a complete video editing add on that would allow complete video productions to be made within SAWStudio.

No video now or ever for me.

REGION / PEAK DATA MEMORY CACHING - very cool feature for helping to allow to play real dense sessions.

But if Im using basic, "dense" sessions are not really possible. So why would this be a reason to get lite instead?

MIXER CHANNEL MEMORY CELL STORE / RECALL - this to me is a must have - it allows you to copy fx and their settings, along with global aux, dynamic, eq, pan and level settings - from one track and recall them on any other.

I honestly cant see a reason for this outside of projects with a lot of overdubs? I consolodate my overdubs quickly after recording to give myself a sense of finality and forve myself to get performances right and tight to start out.

MIXER AND MULTITRACK GROUP PRESETS - to me another must have. It allows you to setup groups of tracks (i.e. all the different drums tracks) as presets and recall them with a single click so that you can tweak all of their faders at once. Cool stuff.

I dont understand? can you explain better perhaps?

Seems like the Lite upgrade would only be worth it for the layers, remote control and not much else? It would be a "risk" to buy basic, use it and realize there's "holes" in it where i would have to upgrade to lite and more or less have spent 300$ more than I have to. Like say perhaps I learn to use sawstudio well and realize I really need 4 library windows views to work efficiently. Or Find working without the zoom mixer is very cumbersome.

Can you see where I feel I have a dilemma? Likewise if I spend the money on SSL or sawstudio and realize I am not using many of the features that between the versions it would frustrate me :(

I could always just use the GFA for SSL and revert to sawbasic if I feel Im not utilizing the difference, still costing a bit more, but certainly much less than if I bought basic and then decided to upgrade.

Bob L
05-22-2004, 10:18 PM
It would be a "risk" to buy basic, use it and realize there's "holes" in it where i would have to upgrade to lite and more or less have spent 300$ more than I have to.

When you buy Basic and then later move up to Lite or Full, you are credited for the full $300 spent... therefore there is no risk at all... you are not loosing your original $300...so what are you waiting for? :)

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-23-2004, 06:27 PM
You are correct bob :) But I would not be able to take advantage of TSM's 900$ SSL offering if I purchased basic first. The upgrade would essentially be paying the same as direct from you.

Im leaning more towards the GFA even though it costs a bit more, it is a little more flexible, and would allow me to consider sawstudio as an option. I tried the demo of the "full" version and the wide and zoom mixer functions are very very handy. for 3$ a day I think I can manage finding that on the street on my nightly walks :)

TotalSonic
05-23-2004, 11:31 PM
Whoa!! Steve are you saying I can get Basic from you and get the plugin CD too? That's awesome!

I tried your DAW qoute page and I think the submit link is not working.

Hi Mghtx -
If you're interested in purchasing SAWStudio Basic through me just send me an email at steve@totalsonicmedia.com and I'll get you set up.

It's true the DAW quote form on my web site is not working properly -
The totalsonicmedia.com site is in desperate need of a thorough update but that's been put slightly on the back burner as I've been concentrating recenlty on my new job as the mastering engineer for Europadisk.

If you're interested in getting a quote on a DAW just send me an email letting me know what kind of i/o you're interested in and what other peripherals you want and I'll send you a quote in a few days.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Bob L
05-23-2004, 11:54 PM
You are correct bob :) But I would not be able to take advantage of TSM's 900$ SSL offering if I purchased basic first.

Believe it or not... yes you can... if you buy Basic, that $300 will be applied to a Lite or Full purchase, even from one of our VIPs... you would be paying only $600 for the upgrade to Lite... meaning a total of $900 for Lite, and you actually used Basic for free since purchasing it...

A sweet deal or what? :D

Bob L

AudioAstronomer
05-24-2004, 07:49 AM
OK Im sold, that is pretty darn cool!! haha! Just a matter of days for paypal transfer to hit my bank account.

AudioAstronomer
05-24-2004, 08:27 AM
Hahaha, that's just so cool :) Cant get over it! No other company I can think of does that!

AudioAstronomer
05-24-2004, 11:58 AM
So Cool Im now a sawbasic registered user :)

Bob L
05-24-2004, 12:23 PM
AudioAstronomer,

Welcome aboard... hope you enjoy the ride. :)

Bob L

Oz Nimbus
05-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Believe it or not... yes you can... if you buy Basic, that $300 will be applied to a Lite or Full purchase, even from one of our VIPs... you would be paying only $600 for the upgrade to Lite... meaning a total of $900 for Lite, and you actually used Basic for free since purchasing it...

A sweet deal or what? :D

Bob L

Yes, that is a sweet deal. In fact, I'll upgrade it as soon as I get these next few projects finished up.

-0z-

AudioAstronomer
05-27-2004, 12:31 PM
Once again, such a sweet deal I just emailed Steve Berson to upgrade to SSL lite, almost entirely just to use Multitrack layers, what an amazing feature!

If things keep up like they have recently, Ill be a SawStudio user. Lite has already paid for itself in under a week of working with basic :) I cant imagine why I even bothered fiddling with other softwares that cost me client time, failed in mission critical situations, did not offer such amazing livesound reinforcement capabilites, and amazingly sluggish comparatively. Feel like such an idiot, but so happy and free of that world!

I cant help but sing praises :)

mghtx
05-27-2004, 02:57 PM
Hey Audio. You have no reason to feel like an idiot. You went by what you knew at the time. And when you found SS you were not afraid to go with it. You learned and matured. Not everybody does that. I know of people who will not let go of Pro Tools, Macs, Cubase, etc. no matter what. They won't even consider that there might be something better. Stubborn sheep. Well, maybe that's a little harsh but you get my drift. :)