PDA

View Full Version : workbench setup

ralhop
10-06-2012, 04:37 AM
I have a question how to ballast SAC the most.

on a test setup I had feeded 24 channels parralel and hard wired with the same Signal (Rock Music). I run it for 4 days and tweakt it so I had no buffer lost.

Yesterday I tested it with my band ( 20 Channels ), and I had over 400 buffer losts :rolleyes:.

does SAC prosses differend when it gets differend signals?? and how can I test the best??

HapHazzard
10-06-2012, 06:28 AM
I have a question how to ballast SAC the most.

on a test setup I had feeded 24 channels parralel and hard wired with the same Signal (Rock Music). I run it for 4 days and tweakt it so I had no buffer lost.

Yesterday I tested it with my band ( 20 Channels ), and I had over 400 buffer losts :rolleyes:.

does SAC prosses differend when it gets differend signals?? and how can I test the best??
What and how many VST plugings are you running.

Mattseymour
10-06-2012, 06:46 AM
Sac doesn't do anything different with different noises going in so load testing with the same recorded thing on multiple channels is a fair way to test the engine on your hardware.

It depends what's causing it to drop buffers. Graphics are often a culprit as windows seems to prioritise any of the windows ui effects like fading in menus.

What os are you running and have you followed all the advised tweaks?

ralhop
10-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I run 4 vst plugins.

I have problems with the graphics when i switch fast with the F keys. But with my band we used only the sacremote to control sac.

I run windows 7 sadly because there where a lot of driver problems with xp on the lenovo laptop. I did all the tweaks ,a big problem is the lanport. I shut of a lot of hardware ( bluetooth,lan, fingerprint reader, IR)

I dont know if someone uses a lenovo T400 laptop with sac that can tell me the used tweaks

Bob L
10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
If the buffers drop when switching F-Key views, make sure you have done the Win 7 tweaks to turn OFF the display composition and transparent modes.

The simple way is to use the Classic Theme... turns all the display fancy stuff off.

Bob L

Mattseymour
10-06-2012, 11:18 PM
I've found leaving the menus fade in option switched on in windows performance is enough to cause dropped buffers on my system.

ralhop
10-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I put my buffersize up to 94 ( the rme fireface 800 can.)and it seems more stable now . I checked all the windows 7 tweeks too.

I don't know how this buffersize setup will do in my IEM setup if someone of hour band notice it.

Bob L
10-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Odd (not power of 2) buffer sizes are not the most efficient choice... the engine has to work harder shifting data to create the odd sized buffer.

The computer works basically in data structures that are even powers of 2... 32, 64, 128, 256... etc.

Bob L