PDA

View Full Version : Volume cut in half?

richswit
10-13-2012, 09:23 AM
I use a small SAC rig on our gigs. Profire 2626 and a AK8000. Using a stereo backing track on channels 7 and 8 on the profire. Towards the end of the night, in the middle of a tune, the tracks just got real soft.....like someone grabbed a fader and pulled it down....but, no one did. Has that ever happened to anyone with a similar setup? It's not the cable from computer to profire...and we finished the night with a couple more tunes and all was well.

Because this is new to me, just wondering what I should be looking for possible problem:confused:
Thanks.

JLepore
10-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Well, the pads on the profires are pull-for-pad, so it couldn't be someone accidentally hitting them - actually, they are dangerous in that if someone leans on the profires and pushes them in, it's an instant +20db :)

Jeff Scott
10-13-2012, 10:40 AM
What was running the backing tracks? did you have Loopazoid or some other Vst player? or did you use the SAC link and use SAW to play the backing tracks?. If it was SAW...make sure you didn't have an Automation move written to the track. I've had that happen and you don't realize what's going on.

richswit
10-13-2012, 11:09 AM
Good points, but I was running ableton live on a Mac out of the 1/8" plug to profire. I checked for automation in live.....none

Butch Bos
10-13-2012, 02:15 PM
I have seen many many 1/8 jacks and cables cause this
It happens if the ground (sleeve) does not make contact
Try it while you wiggle the 1/8 connection and cable

Butch
By the way I just run tracks from the host with NO problems

richswit
10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Butch
By the way I just run tracks from the host with NO problems

I jiggled the wire.....not it.

What do you mean run tracks from the host?
Do you mean a SAC/SAW link?

Mattseymour
10-14-2012, 09:56 AM
It's more or less impossible to diagnose this after the event if it can't easily be reproduced, you'd need to know whether just input or just output were affected, did it show on the meters, was it even post profire....

Soundguy
10-14-2012, 11:45 AM
Good points, but I was running ableton live on a Mac out of the 1/8" plug to profire.

Even in good working order, an 1/8" plug is the least reliable audio connection you could use. I would start by never using one. It is not a pro audio connector, but an ear bud output for your laptop ... not to mention an internal low grade sound card.

Soundguy

Butch Bos
10-14-2012, 09:43 PM
What do you mean run tracks from the host?
Do you mean a SAC/SAW link?[/quote]

Just using Multiplay or Foobar with SPDIF loopback
Sometimes SAW but foobar is quicker and can rip CDs

Butch