PDA

View Full Version : Front Panel XLR connectors

glass50
10-17-2012, 11:30 AM
I really wish there was a good ADA with ins & outs on the back panel. It is a pain reaching through all the XLR connectors to adjust channel gain, or get clear view of clip light.

But in the mean time, here is how I configured my three 8 channel 50' stage snakes for otimum acess. BTW, I make these myself from Gepco audio snake cable and Nutrick connectors. The velcro self tie strap also holds snakes to side handle of SKB rack.

Mattseymour
10-17-2012, 11:57 AM
Interesting I just don't have a problem with the ada layout and really don't like the idea of connectors on the back.

glass50
10-17-2012, 01:08 PM
Hey Matt. Ideal connection for me is two 25pin D-sub connectors on back panel, no XlR at all. Would reconnector input and output snakes with D-sub. Makes for faster setup and good visability on front.

gdougherty
10-17-2012, 02:29 PM
There is a better inexpensive unit. It's called the Profire and all the io is on the rear with a nice clean front panel. $350 is as low as we've seen for them nowadays. For another $300 I built a 24x24 XLR panel relocating all the connections up front beneath the units. The rear of the rack is clean and open so I can disconnect the TRS connectors and use the TRS outputs if necessary. I'll see about grabbing a photo sometime.

RandyHyde
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
I really wish there was a good ADA with ins & outs on the back panel. It is a pain reaching through all the XLR connectors to adjust channel gain, or get clear view of clip light.

It's called the Focusrite Octopre Mk II Dynamic :)

Seriously, I wish the general consensus around here would gravitate away from the Behringer ADA8K. The real world tends to view SAC as a toy because it's "powered by Behringer" in most people's minds. SAC doesn't need a problem of that's not of its own making creating perception problems. It's bad enough people immediately blow off SAC because:

1) It's a software application and, therefore, cannot be reliable,
and
2) It runs under Windows.

Throw "Behringer" into the mix and SAC becomes a non-starter to a lot of professionals I've talked to.

I like the way Bob pushes RayDAT cards around here -- reliable, high-quality gear, that produces sturdy SAC systems even though it's a bit more pricey. Wish that the same attitude would apply to preamps, especially given the failure rate people have had with Behringers around here.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

dbarrow
10-17-2012, 04:39 PM
I second the Focusrite Optopre Dynamic mkII recommendation. I have had the Behringers, the ART units and now Focusrite units. I like them best.

dbarrow
10-17-2012, 04:42 PM
You could probably get a pre-wired panel that had D-Subs to XLR and 1/4" TRS for the Focusrites and get the previously mentioned subsnakes with XLR to D-Sub. I had looked into that a while back, but couldn't fine the pre-wired panels how I wanted them.

gdougherty
10-17-2012, 06:39 PM
I looked into D-sub as a snake connector for 8 channel snakes and the consensus from the professionals was it being a recipe for disaster. The connectors themselves tend to be more fragile, I can see them being prone to collecting gunk, and they're really designed for indoor, infrequent connection use. I'd gone so far as thinking of modding an ADA to have a D-sub connector hanging off the box. So glad I didn't go that route. I also figured it being most convenient then to have a split between a multi-pin connector and actual XLR connectors in case I wanted to patch something straight to the rack. As much as I'd love to go multipin on my snakes, for my setup it's still most convenient to stay XLR.

It also forces you into patching snake box inputs into the same line of 8 channels. That one's less of an issue since you can softpatch, but if you're in a hectic scenario with multiple changes, moving a cable on a snake may be more obvious than a softpatch within SAC. Still wish the F-mixer showed the input number rather than just a tick.

marcus
10-17-2012, 06:49 PM
I'm holding out for the Focusrite rednet lineup, primarily the pc card and the rednet 2's, lets get rid of large multi cable snakes, and everything is on the back via breakouts... Now hopefully SAC will work with the rednet interface card...

Nice temporary solution for the front XLR's, i like the cut to length that you have done, one other temp solution would be to do some direct connecting of the inputs through the back of the ADA soldered directly to the pins on the board. Just a thought, it would clear the front completely, it's what i have been considering 'till i can do the Focusrite's... $'s are the issue

Marc

Mathis
10-18-2012, 03:08 AM
Seriously, I wish the general consensus around here would gravitate away from the Behringer ADA8K.

I second this wish greatly. I see no reason to disregard SAC as a professional system. Despite this crappy Behringer bull**** all around.
I built my system around the Albert-AV stageboxes and I can hardly imagine anything more professional...

Mattseymour
10-18-2012, 03:12 AM
I so wish I had the budget for that :(

Mathis
10-18-2012, 04:55 AM
I so wish I had the budget for that :(

3* ADA8K = 504 Euro
2* Appsys ADX-32B = 600 E
1* Wordclock output = 50 E
1* RemoteGainController = 330 E
6* ADAT Cables etc. = 30 E

Altogether 1414 Euro (excl. VAT and shipping). Also count your personal labour for modifying the ADA's.

Now Albert-AV:
1* DSB2408 = 1530 E
1* ASV-4422 = 300 E

Altogether 1830 Euros, not so much more for a far more reliable and better technologie and system.

RandyHyde
10-18-2012, 02:16 PM
You could probably get a pre-wired panel that had D-Subs to XLR and 1/4" TRS for the Focusrites and get the previously mentioned subsnakes with XLR to D-Sub. I had looked into that a while back, but couldn't fine the pre-wired panels how I wanted them.

Not sure how you want them, but I've been using Planet Wave modular snake units for the past year and a half with great success. DB25 to 8 x XLR-F, 8 x XLR-M, 4 x XLR-F + 4 x XLR-M, and 8 x 1/4" TRS.

I plug the 8 (XLR or 1/4") cables into the Focusrite and bring the DB-25 to a rack-mount panel on the back of my case. I have the mating DB-25 connected to my subsnakes. All my crew love this setup.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde