PDA

View Full Version : Got a new snake

RandyHyde
10-27-2012, 10:04 PM
Just received a Whirlwind data snake I've been planning to get all year. Custom ordered, so it took a while to get (and, sadly, it arrived one week after the last big show of the year that I'll probably use my "A" rig on).

The unit I got has six analog lines plus two Cat5e connections. Stage boxes with 1/4" TRS connectors on both ends. Preferred stage boxes on both ends over a fan-tail on one end because it's a bit easier to configure (using 1/4" to whatever cables) and the crew won't drag cable ends through the dirt as much with a stage box.

Wanted an 8-audio-channel snake, but Whirlwind only makes 6-channel and 12-channel versions. They told me they could use the 12-conductor cable and only wire up 8 jacks, but they missed the point -- I don't want the weight of a 200' snake with 12 conductors in it.

I need 8 channels, but I can pull it off with six because four of the signals are line level (iPod and headphones) so I can send them down two balanced lines w/o any problems (other than the need for adapter cables, of which I own all I need already).

Was going to use one of the Ethernet cables for SAC and the other for lights, but I've been running DMX wirelessly all summer and that's worked great; so no real need for the other Ethernet line (yet, anyway).

FWIW, I wound up going with the Light Factory lighting control package. More table than D-Pro. Far easier to learn than Eclipse, MagicQ, and FreeStyler. $800 for two universes (including hardware). Doesn't do *exactly* everything I want it to do, but it comes closer than most other packages and easily supports lots of different hardware options (including good support for hardware control surfaces, hint, hint). Also has a visualizer package available for $400. Haven't got that yet, so I can't comment on it. Will be doing my first lighting show with this package Oct 31, we'll see how it goes when it's live.
Cheers,
Randy Hyde

Soundguy
10-27-2012, 10:23 PM
That's what she said.

marcus
10-30-2012, 04:40 AM
Please keep us informed on the lighting, i am looking for an upgrade from DMXIS, been really concidering D-pro for the fact i can use the DMXIS hardware saves me a few bucks. But always interested in choices. Take some pics too?

Marc

RandyHyde
10-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Please keep us informed on the lighting, i am looking for an upgrade from DMXIS, been really concidering D-pro for the fact i can use the DMXIS hardware saves me a few bucks. But always interested in choices. Take some pics too?

Marc

D-Pro *would* have been my first choice as the user interface is the best I've seen. *However*, the demo kept crashing on me. Not a good sign for a production production. It will probably be a great product in a couple of years.

Interestingly enough, New Zealand/Australia seems to be the source of most of the better lighting programs these days.

Cheers,
Randy Hyde

derek_vw
10-30-2012, 12:03 PM
I've had a LightFactory setup going for almost a year now. I got the 2 universe package with the playback and programming wing. I ended up building a 1U rackmount Core i3 computer for it and it works great.